A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Shag Bag!!  (Read 11262 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ailurophile

Corduroy pillows - they're making headlines!

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2008 05:06:09 PM »

My first time entering a contest, yay! Please bear with me through my insane wordiness lol. I had no idea what to do, so I wandered around a dollar store trying to force ideas out of anything. I originally thought about finding something glass to recycle and flamework, though my dad wasn't happy with the idea.

Eventually I found something that I KNEW was perfect. It was a microfiber glove/mitten thing for cleaning your car. And it came is neon lime green! It begged to be turned into a purse, and I knew one glove was a decent size for a purse, though I would need a second one for a strap or flap or pocket or anything. I bought two at a bit less than $5 a piece, which left no room for embellishment.

I can't believe I forgot to take in-progress pictures. Oh well. I spent a couple hours ripping seams to start. There was an ugly cuff that my dad said I should embellish the edges of the purse with, but I thought would look really bad. I turned the glove inside out and ripped the seams of the cuff off and ripped one long side open (one short end already had a hole from the cuff).

I cut and pulled a row of the green microfiber noddles off the open long side so I would have room to hem and I used yellow thread (for lack of green and no transportation to the store). I was worried about sewing the noodles so I used painter's tape to hold them down and out of the way. This went well on my mom's sewing machine.

Sewing up the short side was a different story. There was this nasty white lining, like the kind that gets stuck to everything, but I kept it because the outer fabric was pretty fragile. I taped the noodles and turned it inside out to sew it shut. I pulled out a row of noodles here also. The sewing machine did not like it at all. It ended up only sewing the lining and not the outer green part. So I ended up slip stitching that side shut by hand.

The strap is a strip of fabric from the other glove, cut at the longest continuous length possible. The fabric really liked to fray, so I covered the edges in fabric glue which looked pretty nasty but kinda discreet. I backstitched the strap on in such a way that the noodles lined up well, with two rows of stitching for security.

Anyhow, onto the photos!
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x241/ailurophilic/Shag%20Bag/purseoncouch.jpg
The purse! This was shortly after I finished, I put it on my couch for this picture. I adorned it with a button I used to put on whichever purse I was using, though I got more buttons and they didn't fare well so i took them all off. Whatever.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x241/ailurophilic/Shag%20Bag/purseme1.jpg
Me posing with my purse. My hair was yellow/orange (and messy, blah) at the time. Now my hair is blue lol. You can see where the purse sits, my mom thought the strap would be too small but I like it.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x241/ailurophilic/Shag%20Bag/purselining.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x241/ailurophilic/Shag%20Bag/pursehem.jpg
The lining which I don't like but it's better than nothing. And the ugly not-straight hem. I'm honestly no good at sewing, especially not in a straight line. And because I made this everyone thinks I'm a sewing god and I got appointed to making reconstructed t-shirts for NAHS, bleh.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x241/ailurophilic/Shag%20Bag/noodlecloseup.jpg
FUZZY NOODLE THINGS! ^^; They are so much fun to play with. The purse is more yellow than this picture appears (on my comp at least), I wish it was really this color though.

Action shots!
These are all from videos I (and others) made today during my lunch period. Crazy people doing crazy things, but my purse made it in a couple times.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x241/ailurophilic/Shag%20Bag/action2.jpg
I told you my hair was blue now, lol. From "Joe's Video Crisis": I'm hiding my face from the camera and Joe, the person filming, is playing with it's fuzziness. Joe says as I hide my face: "Heather's opinion on--Ah! It's fuzzy!"

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x241/ailurophilic/Shag%20Bag/action3.jpg
Me, hiding my face again, with my purse sitting on my Chemistry and Calculus books as usual. Joe is the dude on the left, who has just had the camera taken away from him.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x241/ailurophilic/Shag%20Bag/action1.jpg
My carrying my purse in a normal fashion, along with my ginormous bookbag and pile of books. Other people in the shot: Natasha, Casey, Noah, and various people leaving lunch. You can't tell, but my purse was particularly bulky today which makes it hard to carry under my arm with a short strap, oh well.

So far, it has fared well. The lining likes to stick to my pencils, and it doesn't hold nearly as much as my other purses do, but i love it. And so does everybody at my high school. Tons and tons of people, some I know and some I don't, like to touch and hug and feel my purse. I have quite a few friends who cannot resist rubbing my soft and fuzzy purse every day. My one friend even wants to pay me to make her one. I hope you guys like it as much as they do! (Too bad you can't feel it through your computers, it is the most awesome feeling fabric ever.. except for that of the blanket my aunt made).

Oh and it's name "The Shag Bag" came from my friend Chip, who said something about a shag carpet and conceived the name 'Shag Bag'. Others said it looked like a monster, and many people said it looked something from the sea which lead to a couple of names but Shag Bag won. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013 06:13:36 PM by MissingWillow - Reason: Changed non-working images to links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to leave this world like I came into it: screaming and covered in somebody else's blood.
ThatsWhatSheSaid
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008 05:20:00 PM »

I love it! How creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008 05:26:43 PM »

Grin I love this. It's very creative and it cost less than 10 dollars!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
lanna to the max
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008 05:44:46 PM »

I love it! SO cute Cheesy. Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
VALiant
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008 06:25:19 PM »

DUDE! I want one...   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jka
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008 06:37:08 PM »

That bag is seriously amazing.
I think if I saw you walking around with it, I'd have to ask you for a highfive. Cheesy

Anywho. It's really epic, and I have the same 'save me' pin as you. :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Snizzlepops

Mixed Media Artist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008 01:29:04 AM »

CUTE!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Betsyannlob
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008 04:29:53 PM »

Love love love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
irismooninthecity
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008 06:44:49 PM »

I soooooo want a bag like this! Very cool!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008 08:45:05 AM »

ooh fuzzy lol. creative too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using and Blending Color for Your Chalk Drawing
How to Create a Preliminary Layout of Your Chalk Drawing
How to Set Up and Lighting for Your Chalk Drawing
How to Draw with Chalk Pastel
How to Draw the Lowercase Calligraphy Letters - Final Letters
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...