A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 43 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butterick 3407 1970's dress pattern  (Read 824 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elijor
« on: April 03, 2008 01:18:57 PM »

A student of mine found this pattern while looking for a prom dress. It was on a vintage pattern site but it said it was already sold. I checked Ebay and did a few searches but it doesn't look like we will be able to get the pattern. Well - unless one of you has it laying around  Wink. She is thinking the white or black dress in the shorter length. I think they are all the same and just tied differently, well the blue one obviously has extra straps.

So I check the big four companies along with Burda and Kwik Sew - including their "out of print" selections. The closest I found was the Vogue pattern below.

I think this pattern will work for us if we make the strap/drawstring thinner and cut the back straight across. The line drawing on the right is from a different pattern - I added it to show her what I meant. I do think the back needs to be full like the front not close fitting like the line drawing.

Other than making a sample and picking the right fabric (slinky knit that drapes well) does anyone have any helpful tips or advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Veghead
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008 03:08:13 PM »

simplicity 5112 has a similar top section on view E. It would not be one complete piece of fabric in the front as the vintage pattern, but if she attaches a gathered skirt it may give her the same feel. I personally like the more fitted style in the back of the vogue. I feel if she makes the back as unfitted as the front she will not be happy in the end. It will not give her any shape and we all know how fussy teenagers can be about their figure  Wink Good luck--cute pattern, thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008 04:29:12 PM »

simplicity 5112 has a similar top section on view E. It would not be one complete piece of fabric in the front as the vintage pattern, but if she attaches a gathered skirt it may give her the same feel. I personally like the more fitted style in the back of the vogue. I feel if she makes the back as unfitted as the front she will not be happy in the end. It will not give her any shape and we all know how fussy teenagers can be about their figure  Wink Good luck--cute pattern, thanks for sharing.

Thanks - that Simplicity is one I looked at a couple of times and even have on my list to show her.

That fitted back picture is from a totally different pattern. I don't think we would be able to have a body hugging back and a loose free flowing front. Also I'm pretty sure the fact that it was so loose is what she liked about the dress. All of the other options she showed me were very loose. I think with a slinky knit enough of her figure will show - and the boys will have to use their imagination for the rest  Wink.

Thanks again for the input.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008 11:55:03 AM »

I'd just search vintage 70's dress patterns all together. That style of dress was wildly popular and I know my mom has one in her stash, I'm pretty sure hers is a Vogue pattern (I'm afraid she's not ready to start selling them off though). Yes, it's just one dress with several ways to tie it.
There are lots of patterns on Etsy as well as ebay I'd just search "70's patterns".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Sneaky Reasons You Get Acne
How To Make An Exfoliator With Baking Soda
Our Picks For The Best Tanning Oil
Ways To Lighten Your Foundation
The Ultimate Smudge Proof Eyeliner
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...