A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handwritten and illustrated Story Book-14 pics (dial-up users beware!)  (Read 17022 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eukarya
Freelance Artist and Maker of Crafty Things

Crazy loves me!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 02, 2008 07:27:08 PM »

Now I know how all those poor monks in the middle ages felt as they copied texts all day.  Talk about a cricked neck!  I worked on this project for a swap and put quite a bit of time into it.  However, it is something I've always wanted to try.  I'm fascinated by the idea of a handmade, handwritten, handillustrated one of a kind book.  So I made one.

The story is Little Red Riding Hood, obviously.

I used some scrap matboard for my covers and followed the tutorial here for binding the book:
http://curiouslycrafty.wordpress.com/tutorials/
The cover piece is a watercolor painting matted with the same paper as the inside cover, framed with ribbon.  The whole thing is lacquered to within an inch of its life and glued to the cover.  The lettering is simply gold acrylic paint.

I used fancy linen-textured paper for the inside covers.  This was the only thing I bought new for this project.

Title Page. The ink is just ordinary calligraphy ink (the kind in a cartridge and pen).  The illustrations are done in watercolor and outlined with black artists' marker (ZIG Millenium...I *love* these markers!).

Dedication page.  Names are blurred out to protect the innocent and guilty. Wink

The Story.

I was inspired by some kawaii Japanese fabric in my partner's wist, so yes, there must be big eyes and a pointy hood on little Red.

I had to learn how to draw a wolf for this project.  I'd never done so.  (other animals, yes, but not a wolf). 

I love how my backgrounds turned out in these illustrations...I'm still working at painting/drawing whole scenes as opposed to isolated people or things.

Little Red's posture here is awesome, I think.  She's looking at "grandma" but her body is turned away.  She knows there's something off, but she's not sure what it is.

Rather than make a gruesome scene, I think a spilled basket and flowers is more tasteful (and easier to draw!)

The End!

I ruled the pages in pencil (I can't *draw* in a straight line, let alone write in one!) and sketched in the layout (where the words go and where the pics go).  I'm a chronic doodler and I'm sure it shows in the flowers and such.  After calligraphy and inking the pics, I erased the pencil.  Watercolors came in last.  I used standard watercolor paper cut in half and folded.  For the first time I broke into the watercolor pastes that someone gave me ages ago (i've used watercolor pencils but never pastes out of tube).  I normally prefer acrylics, but I'm pretty happy with what the watercolors gave me.

Once I made the pages, the rest was fairly easy.  However, binding takes *patience*!  Do a little bit, and let it all dry before you can do more.  Move too soon and you have a big mess.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the result as long as I don't look too closely (I start seeing all my errors up close, and there are many many errors).  It was fun but is was also very very time-consuming.

All hail Gutenberg...in the future, any books I make will definitely involve a printer! (Naturally, my sister is already asking for her own one of a kind book, so that might be happening soon)

Cheers to all!  I hope you enjoyed looking at my project Smiley

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k-roc
yarnophile

likes stuff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008 07:33:09 PM »

This is beautiful. It's oozing the time and the love and the skill you put into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I "Wist" you'd stalk me...
http://www.wists.com/ScarlettBegonia

If you're gonna dine with them cannibals, well sooner or later darling you're going to get eaten.
nomij
There are 10 types of people in this world...

...those who know binary, and those who don't.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008 07:34:35 PM »

WOW!  Just.... W O W!  This is destined to last forever...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008 07:50:46 PM »

that was BEAUTIFUL. I am in awe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008 08:04:25 PM »

LOVE THIS!  I am so jealous of your skills......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vintageburlesque

If I stop sewing I will cease to live.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008 08:23:53 PM »

This is a truly beautiful piece of work and I am in awe.  LITTLE RED RIDING HOOD is my all time favourite childhood story (when I was a child I would get my Nanna to read this to me EVERY night as my bedtime story, despite the fact I had lots of other stories).  The illustrations are beautiful and I love the style of the writing as well.  This is a truly wonderful item to give and treasure always.  Well done you on your patience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I make a mess something good always comes from it.
Tarewyn
The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Atticus Finch

Saving my sanity, one crafty day at a time.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008 08:39:04 PM »

That is just amazing.  I love the layouts and the way the colours look on the page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soulmom
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008 08:58:46 PM »

that is truly exceptional! you've inspired me! i've done blank journal binding, but i don't know why i never thought to bind my own book. that would make a sweet gift for the kids!

seriously though, wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka."
-Dr. Horrible
beautyproof
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008 10:58:24 PM »

What a fantastic creation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sulkycat
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008 12:32:24 AM »

stunning stunning stunning

now i wonder which swap this could be for ......;-)

seriously, its beautiful, & i am now very envious of your partner!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Turn a Used Vinyl Record Into a Bowl
How to Make a Pop-Up Card
How to Make a Transformers Costume
How to Follow a Sewing Pattern
How to Make Lanterns Out of Old Jars
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...