A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Faux Bois iPod Cozy  (Read 3810 times)
Tags for this thread: ipod , faux_bois  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Alli_Lucy
« on: April 02, 2008 05:35:22 AM »

I recently got an iPod Touch, and decided that it needed a great case to keep it safe.  I never got around to getting a case for my old iPod, and after four years, it is in pretty bad shape.  Needless to say, I didn't want the same thing to happen to the new  version (plus, the Touch doesn't look like it could handle nearly as much abuse as the classic iPods).  I looked at Etsy for cases, but couldn't find anything that looked secure enough or that I was sure wouldn't scratch the touch screen.  So, as any crafter would do, I simply whipped up my own design!

This cozy is made out of six layers - linen on the outside (I used my machine to make the faux bois embroidery), then heavy interfacing, a layer of muslin, two layers of thin batting, and lens wipes for the lining.  I used bias binding to keep all of the scratchy seams on the outside.  My iPod seems quite comfortable in there, and very well protected!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
Padester
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008 05:58:53 AM »

Really cute!  I like the faux wood finish on it.  Just curious - why did you put the layer of muslin in the middle?  Did you think it was needed for stability, padding, or something?  Just curious, as I am an entirely self-taught sewer and the reason for it is not entirely self-explanatory to me. Smiley

And I love the fact that you used the lens wipes for the inside so that it doesn't scratch the touch screen.  Very clever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shelleibean
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008 06:08:50 AM »

very cute! i'm big fan of all things wood grained faux or not.  embarrassingly i just made this connection fuax bois=fake wood. duh. lens cloth for the linning was clever, i'm sure it wil be very well protected
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmysIntoWishin
Live the Life you Love

Loving New Mommyhood

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008 06:22:31 AM »

This is so great.  I'm putting this is my favorites!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥I LIVE the Handmade Pledge!♥
byonic_girl

Tohnia & Mike [1/27/2008]

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008 06:34:41 AM »

even though I am anti-iPod, I will admit that the new iTouch is pretty cool!  I love your case!  The faux bois looks awesome. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anxiety is the maiden hand of creativity - T.S. Eliot
Alli_Lucy
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008 06:40:51 AM »

Thanks for the comments!  The Touch is quite cool - I can even browse Craftster on it, haha.  It's also great for watching videos. 

Really cute!  I like the faux wood finish on it.  Just curious - why did you put the layer of muslin in the middle?  Did you think it was needed for stability, padding, or something?  Just curious, as I am an entirely self-taught sewer and the reason for it is not entirely self-explanatory to me. Smiley

I used the muslin only because the interfacing that I had in my stash was double-adhesive (so it needed a back and a front ironed onto it).  If it were only single sided, the muslin wouldn't have been necessary.  It doesn't have a real function within the cozy.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008 10:58:29 AM »

I love it! I never thought of using a lens cloth as liner, but will for my daughter's future ipod cozies. I love the whole thing, and will no doubt "borrow" many, many elements of your great design to make hers both more lovely and more protective!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
surfinsandy
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009 08:02:36 AM »

what would be a good second choice for lining fabric? I live the lens cloth idea, but I probably can't go get one in time to make one for hubby. I have all kinds of other fabric around here, cotton jersey (knit, like t-shirt material), and satin (most likely polyester) and of course quilting cotton...wondering what worked for others...
Thanks for the great idea! Hubby just ordered himself an iphone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
~Pablo Picasso
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tie Dye Baby Clothes with Vegetable Dye
How to Apply Colours To Silk Scarf
How to Decorate a Glass Vase
How to Do Decorative Glass Bottles
How to Decorate Suncatchers
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...