Ok so this project was thought of long before the challenge but like the procrastinator I am, it was left on the back-burner until I got the incentive to finish it (today
). Previously, I used to throw an old vinyl tablecloth over the pram if it started raining; but that left me wet and my bub couldn't see anything and got upset.
So I figured 'if the tablecloth works why not make a fitted cover with a window?' and 'hey, why not make myself something too??'
So, I picked up some tablecloths - cheap $2.00 flannel-backed vinyl ones - in purple and black (I originally wanted red but figured it would look a little funny if Little Red Riding Hood was pushing a pram down the street) and used the clear plastic cover from a recently-purchased quilt.
(the white one will be put for further tableclothy-goodness later on - a shame really cause that one is much thicker and better quality than the purple and black)
With window so I can see through the existing sunroof:
Note, it has the wire from the quilt packaging bent in an arch and attached inside between the window and the top purple part, this keeps the sides flared so there is plenty of ventilation and air flow.
And for me:
Just big enough to push the pram and stay dry:
Lined inside with random gray cotton (from stash) for durability and weight:
Closer to the natural purple (somehow my camera refuses to photograph blue and purple correctly):
I used an old hood from my husband's top for the hood pattern and winged the rest. The pram cover was drafted right onto the pram. All major seams on the cover are reinforced and it attaches with velcro over the handle bar, two small elastic loops low on either side and tucks under the foot with an elasticised bottom.
Total cost - $4.00. I don't expect them to last years but they are really quite sturdy. If they work well I might re-make them with that fantastic gunmetal gray skull print vinyl I saw at Spotlight....
Comments welcome, thanks for looking.