A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: plucked out a necklace at the dollar store  (Read 5281 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 04, 2008 06:26:56 PM »

I rather challenged myself with this challenge as I only had about 15 to 20 minutes to pick out the items at a local Dollar Tree when I ran out for lunch one day.  The first thing that caught my eye was a copper wire garden decoration.  It was a very simple thick wire dangle that was bent into shapes and wrapped around 3 marbles.

With that in hand, I quickly zipped through the craft, jewelry, stationery and toy sections.  Oh, and the silk flowers, too.  I ended up adding to the garden decoration thingy:
2 packs of beaded ribbon (one red and one green)
2 necklaces
a pair of earrings
2 packs of buttons (one opal-ish and one clear yellow)
a bundle of yarn
and a bush of silk flowers for a total of 10 items for $10. 

But I still have one earring, most of the yarn, most of the buttons, a few stalks of the silk flowers, and most of the garden decoration left.  The only items completely used up were the 2 beaded ribbons and one necklace, so the actual cost of the necklace is probably much closer to $3.50.  Well, maybe $4 as the only thing I added from my previous stash was bits of copper wire.  Probably less than a foot's worth though.

I gotta say... I am SO tempted to see what someone would be willing to pay for it!

close-up shots:

I realize that I managed to skip pointing out the yellow buttons I used.

Forgive this rather scary action shot:

and a part that I'm kinda proud of:

I have very long hair (below the tail bone) so often wear my hair up.  I hid the closure under the flower petals so it didn't look quite as blah when I wear my hair up.

I would really like feedback, please.  I've been playing around with jewelry making for a long time but this is the first of anything like this.  I had so much fun and it was a GREAT stress reliever and those alone were worth it.

Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
JLMS
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008 06:31:00 PM »

This is so fun! You are very clever, and you did a great job. And we know someone will buy it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
saylo
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008 08:58:19 PM »

I like it. I really like it.
If I wear necklaces or things like that, I want them as simplistic as possible, but this is sweet, and I'd wear it. I'm inspired to make something along these lines. Thanks for the great idea, you did a great job!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clrowi
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008 09:31:01 PM »

That looks like SO MUCH FUN!! I've always liked those copper ornaments, but they always seemed to lack something. Tres cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flowers and Lemons
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008 01:58:56 AM »

This is gorgeous!! It's so difficult to make jewelry out of so many random things.
The other people made gorgeous things as well, but I think I would vote for you!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheSapphireMoon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's like a vacation for the mind, to leave the body behind...

Rockin' the baubles all around town...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008 06:37:17 AM »

This really is SOO unique!  I love it.  I would LOVE to have something like this to wear at the Medieval Faire this coming year when I sell my flower head wreaths...it would be a PERFECT accessory for there as it looks natural and fits well with the overall theme of the Faire Smiley  Now you got my mind tickin' on that...Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ ♥ Zoe ♥ ~

In need of rainbow fabrics for a Teesha Moore tote, PM me to swap!

ETSY
http://thesapphiremoon.etsy.com
PINTEREST
http://www.pinterest.com/thesapphiremoon

Shop The Swap 62
50 Projects 2012
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Convert a Crochet Pattern Into a Knitting Pattern
Single Crochet Stitches
How to Crochet a Purse
How to Recycle Household Items Into Handmade Ornaments
How to Sew a Button By Hand
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...