A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *Eeek!* Its research paper time! Wanna help?  (Read 606 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sevenislucky

*...What will your anthem be?...*

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2005 09:25:46 PM »

Its finally that "terrific" time of the school year again...research papers. Yuck.  At least I'm a senior which means I get to pick my own topic.  I want to do something fashion/craft history related but I have to pick something I can find enough (at least 25) sources on.  It would be super easy if I could use the internet...but of course...english teachers hate to make anything easy...so my sources have to be from books, magazines, newspapers and other print sources. Thats where all of you brilliant craftsters come in!  I would completely and entirely love anyone who could help me out by letting me know about any great places to find my info.  I want my topic to be something like 'the evolution of women's fashion in America' but the teach will probably make me narrow it down.  If I have to do that I'd love to explore the changing of dress/skirt lengths over the years.  Do you have a magazine/newspaper article you could lead me to?  Read a book that might be helpful?  Has anyone done a paper like this who wouldn't mind helping me out? Please let me know!  Thanks in advance for any help you all are willing to offer!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*...this is one side, my conventional side, an attraction to tradition, my vintage disposition...* - No Doubt
d_oubt

Go Banana, GO!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005 09:52:52 PM »

i don't know of any direct sources, but a good source of magazine, newspaper articles is to see if your school (im assuming this is high school) subscribes to any online databases. they're online, but the sources are hard print, only posted online. i think one of the most common ones is ebsco host, but there are many others such as lexis nexis, big chalk, etc, etc.

it's not so much directly fashion related, but the first thing that came to mind was feminist writings on female body image - im sure there are tons of writings on that, ie gloria steinem, ( her playboy bunny waitress stint), the body project, reviving ophelia, etc. 

the only thing fashion evolution involved that i've been reading is about wedding dresses,in books such as all dressed in white and here comes the bride: women, weddings and the marriage myth. which by the way, to anyone who is interested in a non traditional view of marriage, i would HIGHLY recommend.

i know i rambled a bunch, but i hope that helps somewhat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005 09:55:29 PM »

i know a good 'narrower' topic could be the evolving style of womens swimsuits. There is a lot of info, i think. I did a search on google for "women's swimsuit history" and found a nice link... Perhaps your library has some books on women's fashion?
http://www.fashion-era.com/swimwear.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
goddessterri
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005 02:21:46 PM »

You might want to check with your school library and local library to see how far back their magazines go.  Magazines like Ladies Home Journal and Redbook have been in print since the early 20th century or late 19th century.  You could look at a selection from each era and see firsthand how fashions changed.  You could also possibly include picture examples in the paper -- teachers love that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sevenislucky

*...What will your anthem be?...*

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005 06:58:11 PM »

Thanks so much for the help everyone! I decided to go with the dress/skirt length topic.  Ive been pretty lucky and have found a decent amount of books at the libraries around here about the history of women's fashion.  I really like the idea about looking at issues of old women's magazines.  Have to go to the major library over here to see if they have any.  I'm kind of actually looking foward to doing this paper. Again, thanks so much for the help! If anyone has anymore suggestions please let me know. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*...this is one side, my conventional side, an attraction to tradition, my vintage disposition...* - No Doubt
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005 12:09:54 AM »

Im not sure if you got your paper done or not but Vogue Mag is a good place to look for the history of fashion over the years.  I would also interview people from different generations.  My grandma is 84 and has amazing stories to tell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jujubecraftin
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005 12:51:53 AM »

there are alot of theater costume books that may be helpful, maybe ask a drama professor or look in a drama library. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Camera Shutters Work
How to use the Aperture - Lesson 1
Learn about the Camera Term: Exposure
How to Compress an Image to Reduce File Size
How to use a Dutch Tilt
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...