A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,757
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First time using fondant  (Read 1032 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Julie P!
« on: April 01, 2008 11:23:09 AM »

My moms birthday was this past Sunday and I made her a cake. I wanted it to be special so instead of store bought I made it and I made matching cupcakes. Anyway, any suggestions as to how I can make a better cake next time or something would be great. Fondant is very difficult to work whit. how do you guys get it to not bunch up at the bottom? I covered mine with ribbon.  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
VALiant
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008 11:45:11 AM »

How cool! I really love the colour scheme.

However, since I have never worked with fondant, I can't really tell you how to fix your problem. But the ribbon was pretty ingenious!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brightdawn1891
Some Kind of Wonderful

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008 06:09:04 PM »

When I think fondant, I think about the show Ace of Cakes on Food Network.  I absolutely love to watch that show.  Personally, I've never worked with the stuff, but you can find some information about it at http://www.whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm.  Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
one_fine_day
She's Electric.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008 06:29:47 PM »

From what I ahve heard there is something called faux-fondant. It looks like fondant but it buttercream. I can't halp you with the bunching. I am very new to cakes but here is the recipe I found on some website. Message me if you try it because I don't have the cash to yet  Wink

4 pounds powdered (confectioners') sugar
2 cups Crisco shortening
1/3 cup powdered milk mixed with enough water to make 1 cup
1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon clear butter flavor
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon Crme Royale or crme bouquet, optional
1/2 cup corn starch
Viva paper towels*

* You want a paper towel that has no design imprinted for smoothing your icing The trick is to smooth it with Viva paper towels that when the icing is slightly crusted.

Into the mixer bowl, place the Crisco shortening and cream until fluffy.

Combine the water and the powdered milk in a small bowl; add the butter extract, almond extract, and crme royale or crme bouquet, and salt.

Add the powdered sugar mixture to the creamed shortening in the mixer bowl and mix. Add 1/2 cup cornstarch and beat well on low for about 15 minutes.

NOTE: This buttercream icing can be kept out of the refrigerator for around 2 weeks, I'd say. I usually use it so fast that I hardly ever get it in the refrigerator unless I am preparing large batches. It can also be frozen. The cornstarch helps humidity as well as helping to cut the sweetness. Play with it and use whatever flavorings you like.

This icing needs to be made ahead of time. As it sets up it gets firmer. When ready to use, just rewhip on low and you get a smooth, non-airy buttercream icing. I like this recipe better than Wiltons buttercream because it tastes less sweet and uses half the amount of Crisco shortening.

Chocolate Buttercream Icing:
I just add Hershey's cocoa/any cocoa would work and some extra hot water to the buttercream icing.  If you want a darker brown color, you can also add a little brown food coloring.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the morning I'd awake and couldn't remember...
What is love and what is hate, the calculations error.

http://www.myspace.com/onefine_day

http://yourheartattackclothing.ecrater.com
(coming soon!!!)
RainbowTilt
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008 07:53:37 AM »

I'm dreadful with fondant, but when I used it, I put it over the top so it draped down then put it on top of a cake stand and cut the excess fondant off with a knife whilst  patting it down. That worked quite well dor me, the rest of it didn't, but that did!  Cheesy

Hope it's some sort of help.
Your cake is beautiful by the way, and the colour scheme is fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Julie P!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008 01:25:52 AM »

Thank you so much for all the awesome suggestions! I will def let you know if I try the faux fondant stuff! : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introducing Dress to Kill
How to Rock the Statement Coat
How to Rock the Seventies-Inspired Platform Heel
Did Miranda Kerr Have the Most Stylish Weekend Ever?
Rihanna Reveals River Island Holiday Collection
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...