A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy sushi cupcakes!  (Read 1747 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinupkate
« on: March 30, 2008 07:09:19 PM »

Wow, I haven't been on here in too long. Apparently there's a food category now!

Anyway I thought I'd share something I made two years ago for my boyfriend's birthday, sushi cupcakes:

These ended up being sticky to eat but overall easy and great with how cartoony they look. I made a standard chocolate cupcake recipe (it probably would have looked better if I used vanilla) and then a cream cheese icing. The trick with the icing was to mix in about a cup of shredded coconut for that great texture.

Then I went to the store and bought a package of green fruit roll-ups, and all kinds of assorted gummy candies, mostly swedish fish, gummi worms, and those sour straws. The worms were great because I could cut them up by their colors, and chopping them either in to little bits or laying them side by side with the flat side up really created a great cut fish look. I put the roll-ups on last with a little water on the seam as they didn't want to stick without a little coercing, and messing with the icing on top after the fact probably would have caused them to come undone.

If I had to do it all over again, I would say don't try the nigiri! They're messier than they're worth, I think. Also, be sure to not seal these in a container and try to eat immediately, as we all know how hydrophilic sugar behaves when all sealed up with icing (very goopy, haha).

Anyway, they were a huge hit and I'd like to try something similar again. Any recommendations on other candies to use are welcome, especially something that would give a great roe-like look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://rosiesmeats.blogspot.com/

Fresh cut meat inspired throw pillows at my etsy: http://rosiesmeats.etsy.com
seamstressfortheband

Dum da dum dum, dum dum dum.....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008 07:20:30 PM »

Those look awesome! I tried to do the same thing with rice krispie, marshmallows and butter all together with gummi worms on top like you and they turned out pretty well. Congrats on a job well done! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blue jean baby, L.A. lady, seamstress for the band
Pretty eyed, pirate smile, you'll marry a music man
heytheresarah
i talk to him every day

music is my boyfriend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008 07:28:29 PM »

That's pretty genius! I've seen other candy sushi, but they were all made with rice krispies and didn't look as "real." I might have to make these for my honorary asian friend (she's not asian, but she loves us all so much we decided to modify her dna.)

I'm thinking nerds (in some colors) or round sprinkles would look like roe. Orangeish colored sugar looks kind of like tobiko, so that might also work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allyinthevalley
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008 08:19:08 PM »

I can't stand sushi, but these look like so much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amelie
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008 08:25:50 PM »

Oooooh those are fantastic! Sushi and cupcakes? Pure genius.  Wink
I was a piece of veggi sushi for halloween one year, maybe I'll have to dig up a photo. Anyway your cupcakes are wonderful! Fantastic idea with the coconut for texture, too.

Hmm... roe-like candies... let me think on that one...

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008 08:26:21 PM by amelie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
mlynn

"Oh, trust Neil to be all SOGGY!!"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008 06:09:52 PM »

This is adorable!!!  As far as the roe... they make these little candy decorations for cakes that look just like roe.  The outside almost feels like plastic but it's edible, & when you eat it the "plastic-like" coating almost kind of "pops" & there's sugary, syrupy goodness inside.  I wish for the life of me I could remember what the correct name for it is, but any cake decorating store should have them.

Any ideas on how to get the icing texture to look right without coconut?  I can't eat coconut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What am I doing wearing these businessman's clothes? I'd better take them off before I turn into a computer!"
pinupkate
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008 07:58:16 AM »

Any ideas on how to get the icing texture to look right without coconut?  I can't eat coconut.

Hmmm, you could probably even mix in large sprinkles or rice krispies to get it suitably lumpy. Shredded anything would work but I'm trying to figure out what other food shreds like coconut does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://rosiesmeats.blogspot.com/

Fresh cut meat inspired throw pillows at my etsy: http://rosiesmeats.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate Sticky Buns by Chef Jehangir Mehta at Graffiti
Snow Crab Legs
Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Chili Honey Short Ribs
Homemade Chili Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...