A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Disney costume patterns?  (Read 17528 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PegasusMarsters
« on: April 01, 2008 06:46:38 AM »

Ok... so I'm a big kid at heart and I desperately want some of the Disney princess dresses for myself.

I've searched and the largest size dresses i've found are for 8 year olds. Don't think that's gonna cut it somehow;)

Or does anyone know where I could get a dress pattern that i could alter to become more like the Princess dresses?

The one I absolutely desperately want is Belle's ball gown (Though I want her pink and green dresses i'm aware that there's no way I'll find a pattern for those).

Thanks so much to anyone who can help Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 stuffies, cute things and anything totally rad.

Add me on messenger if you wanna talk ^.^
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008 07:06:51 AM »

I know I've seen adult sized patterns in the same books as whoever has the kid ones, maybe they only have them available with the Halloween stuff?
Otherwise I'd look at the Anti-Bellum & Civil War period costumes for Belle, her dress is closest to those styles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008 07:46:33 AM »

Gosh, that is a tough question.  I've looked at all of the major pattern companies and I've found a few patterns that might give you a starting place.  This one looks somewhat similar-- the layered skirt might be tacked in places to give the draped effect of Belle's skirt while the other view looks similar to Belle's bodice. 

http://www.butterick.com/item/B6195.htm?tab=costumes&page=7

This one is different, but still might be able to be worked with to become Belle's dress.

http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=5724

These two are separate pieces that might also help.  I realize that one is for a petticoat, but the top and fit look very similar to what you're looking for.  The other skirt again might be able to be altered to give the swoopy skirt thing Belle has going. 
http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M3609.htm?tab=costumes&page=5
http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4090.htm?tab=costumes&page=5

Watch for $1 pattern sales at Hobby Lobby/Joann/Hancock's and see what you can come up with. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008 07:55:42 AM »

there is a wedding gown pattern that is her dress...let me find it...ill be back

btw, i LOVE Belle, and this is the gown i will be wearing at my re-wedding

http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M5321.htm?tab=evening_prom_bridal&page=1

^^there is it...its the absolute closest i have eber seen, with a few modifications it will be perfect

and just so you know, this isnt a casual attempt, i have looked for years, and i have a passion for this gown (all 3 of her classic looks actually...pink and green, you mean her Christmas dress in the original movie? i can find something for that one...i have her Enchanted Christmas gown, her everyday dress, and this, her ballgown..)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008 08:02:41 AM by MissDisney » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
PegasusMarsters
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008 08:09:43 AM »

Thank you for all the replies everyone! You've all been really helpful. Keep the replies coming, guys!

MissDisney: The pink and green dresses I was referring to were from the original movie... The green dress is mostly refferred to as the "Library dress" and the pink one is the one she wears out in the snow with the pink cloak that has the fur finishing on the edge... if that makes sense. I love all of those dresses ^.^ I'd love it if you had any more disney patterns you could share with me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008 08:20:58 AM »

Everyone interprets cartoon dresses a little differently...mostl y because they're cartoons, and don't need to be consistent with things like seams.  I do second the fact that I've seen adult Disney patterns in Simplicity's costume section...they just aren't fantastic looking.

This is the closest physical representation I've ever seen to what I've always pictured as Belle's gown:  http://www.adellacosplay.com/cosplay/gallery/C25/princess-belle/

I don't think she used a pattern.  However, you can see that she took a gored skirt (is that the right word?  A skirt made up of many trapezoids, if you will), and made each panel probably 2x as long as her actual waistline to floor measurement, and gathered the seams of each one.  I believe the accent strip in the lower center of the skirt is added later, as opposed to sewn in.  And then she attached this to a boned corset-style top.  (I think it's boned...if not, there's a corset underneath)  And then it's probably on over a separate petticoat with a hoop.  I haven't seen a pattern this accurate, but I'd look for a few that I could merge together in this way (a boned corset bodice, and a skirt that had probably a minimum of 8 panels).  This is probably one of the most complex Disney Princess dresses (followed or tied closely with Jasmine's).  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
MissDisney

You will never guess

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008 09:52:59 AM »

Thank you for all the replies everyone! You've all been really helpful. Keep the replies coming, guys!

MissDisney: The pink and green dresses I was referring to were from the original movie... The green dress is mostly refferred to as the "Library dress" and the pink one is the one she wears out in the snow with the pink cloak that has the fur finishing on the edge... if that makes sense. I love all of those dresses ^.^ I'd love it if you had any more disney patterns you could share with me?

this is so sad, i havent watched it in about a yr, and i TOTALLY forgot about the dress she wears in the library...

i will compile my list for ya, i will also look for the green dress, and i bet i can find one...i have an intense obsession, but can you really tell?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
PegasusMarsters
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008 02:01:47 AM »

Thanks so much, Miss Disney! And Aislynn, those pictures are EXACTLY how I would have the gown with the exception of the colour. I would have it more gold than yellow. I have looked for Simplicity disney costumes but they're not listed on the website. -_-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney

You will never guess

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008 05:42:30 AM »

you can make that, but you need to have alot of improve skills...i have them, and i am still afraid to try that gown.

honestly, when i actually do ger re-wedded, i think i am going to have someone make the dress, cos the one i picked isnt as close as i would like, but still, pretty close....

disney could make a fortune selling the costumes for adults (i get that you cant wear them in the park, it might confuse the youngins...) i sure as HELL would buy one...

you know, unless you are a size 9 or above, you can buy the princess slippers in WDW and Disneyland. size 4-5 fits grown up feet...i want some so badly..next time Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008 06:27:05 AM »

I was mightily impressed by the work of the cosplayer linked- she did some pretty old school or obscure characters as well as well known ones & her work is incredible!
If I were to put a pricetag on that Belle gown it would easily be $1200, tons of hours went into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Turkey and Ginger Panini Recipe
Cambodian Stir Fried Tofu Recipe
Coconut Rice With Shrimp Recipe
How to Make an Indonesian Beef Stew
How to Make Thai Chicken Pizza
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...