A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,873
Currently Running With Scissors:
478 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: OOAK Transfers- Sharpies, yay!  (Read 3082 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

atlascoughed

Sometimes I don't make anything but a mess.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2005 08:12:46 PM »

Just thought I'd post this.
At some point I was without a printer, but not without an iron and some transfer paper. I took a small scrap of the paper and drew on it with a Sharpie marker. I ironed it on, and lo! It worked. Now, I haven't washed the scrap I tried, but I've had it around for over a year and it hasn't faded.
I thought that, if this method weathers well, that it could be interesting for one of a kind designs- draw directly on the paper and it's never to be repeated, ya dig? Also, I thought this could be cute for people with kids- have the kids draw on the paper and then iron it right on.

Also..
In a book I had (Cheap Frills.. I forget the author) there was a project where you drew, heavily, on sandpaper with crayons. You then iron it onto cotton just like transfer paper. I remember trying it, and while it wasn't crisp, it was a very neat, artsy effect.

Just FYI, man.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything I can reach I do myself.

Una Luna on Etsy. Home of the Alphacreatures!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5443049

Diary of the Long Winded as AtlasCoughed on LJ: http://atlascoughed.livejournal.com/
ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005 10:36:14 PM »

awesome! thanks so much- those are great ideas. i'll be sure to try them... after finals, of course.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
gaudiknight
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005 10:48:15 PM »

I've made accidental marks on my transfer papers with ballpoint pens. They definitely came through and have stayed on that particular shirt through several washes.  So perhaps other sorts of inks will work as well.  And we used to do the sandpaper transfer onto regular paper in elementary school.  With really coarse sandpaper, the dots are bigger and give a neat speckled effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005 04:38:47 AM »

I was wondering about htis same kionda thing when I was doing a shirt this week but I was going to experiment with thinned down acrylic paint.  I didn't know if the transfer paper would offer enough protection tho'  I'll let you know after I experiment
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
xmelinda
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005 06:59:24 AM »

Do you mean the transfer paper that is supposed to go in your printer?

The crayon thing sounds really cool!  When I was a kid, we used to draw right onto fabric with crayons, like cheap cotton muslin, and then iron it with a piece of paper or scrap fabric between the crayon and the iron, like when you do batik.  My sister made a whole quilt like this.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
atlascoughed

Sometimes I don't make anything but a mess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005 02:47:11 PM »

Yep! Iron-on transfer paper for printers. I used some crappy brand I got at k-mart, and it worked fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything I can reach I do myself.

Una Luna on Etsy. Home of the Alphacreatures!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5443049

Diary of the Long Winded as AtlasCoughed on LJ: http://atlascoughed.livejournal.com/
HotCarl
Knitty.

HotCarl Is a GIRL.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005 05:49:09 PM »

If you're going to use Sharpies, make sure you use older ones, because the grain of the paper (the junk that makes it iron on) will beat your tip into a bloody pulp. Believe me, I know from expierience.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<signature-style="obvious-plug">
madebykris
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005 06:15:28 PM »

Theoretically, you can use any water based markers, as well as stamp with water based ink.  I think the possibilities of this are pretty amazing, but as I can barely navigate my room around current projects I won't be trying this for a while ;-).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Consistantly update content available at www.madebykris.com, inconsistantly updated content available at www.lusterstudio.co m
worthwhilegirl
my metal baby

We can't all be girl scouts Millie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005 06:31:43 PM »

Wow! Thanks for the info! I can't wait to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.betweenstupidandclever.com
yep I got a knitting blog

-It's making me blue, Pantone 292....
ClearThisAction
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005 10:59:10 AM »

Just thought I'd post this.
At some point I was without a printer, but not without an iron and some transfer paper. I took a small scrap of the paper and drew on it with a Sharpie marker. I ironed it on, and lo! It worked. Now, I haven't washed the scrap I tried, but I've had it around for over a year and it hasn't faded.
I thought that, if this method weathers well, that it could be interesting for one of a kind designs- draw directly on the paper and it's never to be repeated, ya dig? Also, I thought this could be cute for people with kids- have the kids draw on the paper and then iron it right on.

Also..
In a book I had (Cheap Frills.. I forget the author) there was a project where you drew, heavily, on sandpaper with crayons. You then iron it onto cotton just like transfer paper. I remember trying it, and while it wasn't crisp, it was a very neat, artsy effect.

Just FYI, man.

im going to try that when i get home. printer broke. thanks hun!

<3, R.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3, R.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make a Papaya Salad or Som Tam - Thai Foodcast
Dashi-Braised Shitakes with Brown Rice
Kung Pao Spaghetti
Chicken Lo Mein Recipe
Thai Foodcast: Coconut Milk
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...