A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
406 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beginning seamstress.  (Read 630 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dolliedestroyed
« on: April 01, 2008 02:18:58 AM »

I have sewn a few things successfully, but both have been with the help of a more experienced seamstress who stole my fabric and fell off the face of the earth. Two Christmas' ago my Mom got me an amazing sewing machine for Christmas....which I have used TWICE! I made a ferret hammock for my old roommates ferrets, and pillows. (Ferrets may be cute, but my goodness they reek.)

I have two gigantic rubbermaid totes full of fabric, tons of notions, and a few vintage patterns. I am not willing to use the vintage patterns yet because I don't want to ruin them, what are some good projects to start with? Either pattern suggestions, or just a nudge towards a beginner friendly craftster tutorial would be greatly appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emilwa
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008 03:33:41 AM »

hi, first off i just want to say i'm completely in love with your sewing machine.

this site: http://www.whatthecraft.com/index.htm
has a lot of reconstructions which also double as very easy tutorials. I've used a lot of them to make simple dresses and tops when i've needed something quick and easy.

This is a really easy pinafore/high waisted skirt: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=107286.0

Those should give you a good start, then just check out the list of tutorials in the completed clothing forum. Lots of very good tuts there.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dolliedestroyed
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008 04:13:06 AM »

Thank you! That's not my sewing machine though, I wish it was! The Hello Kitty sewing machines I have seen aren't nearly as cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008 07:23:54 AM »

Do more simple things like pillows & tote bags, then move into wearable but not neccsarily fitted things like pajama pants & aprons. After those are easy you are ready for a skirt or a dress and last a blouse of some sort. Spend time just playing with the stitches on your machine and scraps of fabric, do a couple of each item till you really are comfortable & having fun with them before you move on to the next thing.

Learning to sew is much like learning to drive, stay on familiar streets untill you are comfortable with the machine & all the things it can do, then get your map/ patterns & venture out into new territory Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katisue
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008 10:33:41 AM »

I first started out just doing a simple Simplicity pattern, a skirt I think it was, on some muslin. I completely screwed up the muslin skirt, but then, after I read the pattern closely and carefully, the one in real fabric came out great! Cheesy I suggest a skirt if you want to start in making clothes first, and stick to the easy patterns for a while.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't measured by the number of breathes you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

evelynbaxterdesigns.etsy.com
www.myspace.com/evelynbaxterdesigns
prettymachines
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008 11:45:01 PM »

I have quite a number of vintage patterns myself, that I would never want to ruin... but I still use them! Trace all the original pattern's markings onto a new sheet of pattern-drafting paper (they'll have packs of it at fabric stores), or in a pinch, you can use gift-wrap tissue paper - it's usually transparent enough. That way, you can cut it up, pin it, alter it, whatever, without ever really using the original (and probably fragile) pattern.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Videofashion News: Marissa Webb Spring/Summer 2015 - NYFW
Product Review: Face Wipes - Dr. Murad Clarifying Wipes
Get Easy Dramatic Eyes
Perfume Pop Quiz
Shiseido, Beer Floats, and DIY Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...