A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: OW... i crocheted too much...  (Read 1431 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

metalpunkmonster
obsessive crocheter

Mmmmm... Yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008 12:33:30 PM »

thanks so much for your advice!  i took some tylenol today and that stopped the pain... for now at least.  i'm gonna pick up a wrist brace asap so i can get back to the fun!

btw, i LOVE your pic of ol' drippy, dotsamantha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make crafts and people. Also crafts for said people.
dotsamantha
getting better at being happy

"All I hear is Easter Bunny, Easter Bunny"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008 12:14:48 AM »

Thanks! I'm an ATHF geek, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

http://www.ravelry.com/people/dotsamantha
Yarn Apocalypse
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008 05:25:35 AM »

Sorry to say it, and I could be wrong (IANAD), but if your hands or wrists are hurting you badly I don't believe it's a good idea to take a painkiller and brace your wrist so you can keep on doing what's hurting you.  That pain is inflammation in your joints and tendons. Your body is telling you to please stop soon, thanks, so it can rest and let the inflammation subside.  No matter how many anti-inflammatories you take, it won't go away unless you let your hands rest.

Also, I believe crocheting with a wrist brace could potentially make things worse, as the whole idea of a brace is to restrict motion in the wrist. That means your hand and whole arm are going to have to twist more to make up for the lack of wrist freedom.  Which means, you guessed, more inflammation.

I know, I'm a party-pooper. But I don't like to see anybody get hurt. I suggest putting the WIP down for a little while, reading a book (maybe a crochet book?) or doing anything else that will give your hands time to relax.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
metalpunkmonster
obsessive crocheter

Mmmmm... Yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008 09:44:00 AM »

actually, they make braces specifically for crafters because this is a very common problem.  you don't see athletes give up sports because of an injury.  they just wear braces to prevent further injury.  there are also stretches that help prevent the wrist pain.  of course all of this is preventative.  i decided that i will give the crafting a rest until my wrist is back to 100%, and use the brace and stretches to prevent further injury.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn Apocalypse
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008 05:31:47 AM »

I was not suggesting that you "give up sports", just that you give your wrists a little rest time.  A little pain in the hands is a pretty normal phenomenon for serious crafters (and typists, and athletes, and many other people who repeatedly strain certain parts of their bodies) but if your hands aren't allowed to rest the problem can get much worse.  You're right, very few athletes give up sports because of RSIs - but many, many athletes are benched for a few games to recover from developing RSIs.  Braces are no substitute for rest, and no doctor in the world is going to tell you "here, wear this brace and keep hooking, you'll be fine."

(The companies that manufacture the braces and "crafters' gloves" might tell you exactly that, but please remember that those companies exist for the sole purpose of making money.  They do not care about your well-being.)

Again, most of the time this pain is nothing major and will go away after a good night's sleep.  Sometimes, however, it's a sign of a serious problem.  I found this by Googling for "crafters wrist brace": http://3sleeves.blogspot.com/2007/06/crafters-gloves-knitting-hand-pain.html.  I recommend reading it. Notice the part where the doctor laughs at the knitter's "crafting gloves". Of course, doctors aren't always right, but I'd trust my doctor a lot more than a company that tells me "buy our product, it'll cure all your ills.")
THIS ROCKS   Logged
metalpunkmonster
obsessive crocheter

Mmmmm... Yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008 10:14:01 PM »

well, like i said, i DID give up crafting.  and i did NOT buy one of those stupid knitter's gloves.  i picked up a carpel tunnel wrist brace.  my mom uses one exactly like mine when she crochets because our doctor recommended it to her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Loose Curls with a Flat Iron
Home Remedies For Hair
Modelinia Fashion Week TV Swim Edition: Episode 1
How to Style Your Hair Like a Movie Star
Herbal Conditioning Mixtures for Sparkling Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...