A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,236
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Tri-fold wallet with license holder  (Read 16360 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Vanyel
« on: March 31, 2008 07:04:01 PM »

So, I was going through my room, and I found this soft plastic container that some camis came in. Here's how it got used:

rubber ducky wallet (sorry-I didn't get a shot of the outside)

Materials:
cardstock
velcro
thin, soft plastic. (try doubled over packing tape, or sheet protecter plastic)
thin cotton fabric of two types
interfacing

cut:

Outer-
9"x9"
6 1/2" x 3 1/2"

Lining-
9"x9"
6 1/2" x 4"
3 1/2" x 4 1/2"

Interfacing:
9" x 9"
3 1/2" x 4 1/2"

Note: AS YOU SEW, TRIM ALL THREADS IMMEDIATELY.

1. Cut all fabric pieces out and iron. Attach interfacing to large outer piece (9x9)
and to the smallest lining piece.

2. Cut your cardstock into the following sizes:
-2 1/2" x 3 3/4"
-5 1/2" x 2 1/2"
-5 1/2" x 3"

3. Center the smallest piece of cardstock on the back of your interfaced lining piece. Iron the edges of your fabric in, using the cardstock as the template. Remove the piece of cardstock, and spritz the folds with water, then iron again. If the corner fabric sticks out, trim it. Repeat this process for each of the pockets.

4. Topstitch around your smallest rectangle, about 1/8" in from the edges. Trim your fabric along the seams. Set aside. Top stitch 1/8" in from the edge for one of the long sides on each pocket.

5. Draw a rectangle 1/2" in from each side of the license holder (smallest rectangle). Cut a rectangle out of this piece, a little more than 1/4" smaller on every side than the rectangle you've just drawn. Carefully cut the corners diagonally until you just meet the pencil lines. Fold back edges and iron.

6. Cut your plastic to the same size as your template. Topstitch around the cutout, with the plastic on the bottom of the rectangle. As you stitch, be careful not to pull on the cloth. Use your plastic piece as a guide for where the edges should be. Trim back the plastic. If it doesn't lie flat, DO NOT IRON. Instead, crush it between a couple of heavy books and let it sit while you work on the next part.

7. With right sides together, sew your two large pieces with a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving a 3" gap on the side. Double stitch where you start and finish. If your fabric has a right side up, make sure the gap is on the side, not the top/bottom. Cut the corners, then trim the seams, everywhere except the gap.

8. Turn this inside out and iron flat. With the outer fabric on the bottom, fold the fabric up, so that 1/4" of the lining is showing at the top (this can be seen on the first finished pictures). Iron this flat, spritzing water here if needed.

9. Open the fold. On the smaller 1/2, Attach your license holder, lining the edges up with the left/top edge of the fabric. Follow the previous topstitching. DO NOT SEW DOWN THE INNER LENGTH. Pick up your large pocket. Hold the unsewn edge parallell to the fold, about 1/2" up. Line the right edge of the pocket directly up with the right edge of the main piece. Set aside.

10. Now measure 11/4" up from the bottom of the small pocket, and 1/4" in from the right side. This marks the bottom right corner of your velcro piece. Attach the hooked velcro here, stitching all the way around twice. Line up the bottom edge of your pocket 1/4" from the fold and sew down, again using about 1/8" seam allowance. Sew 1/8" away from the left side of the pockets.
Turn the wallet around, so that the license holder is in the bottom right corner. Measure up 1 1/2" from the fold, and 1 1/2" from the right side. This is the bottom right corner of your other velcro piece. If you want, topstich the top edges of the wallet now.
Fold the fabric so that the edges of the pockets meet. Mark the center line. Sew along the center line, stitching only the pockets. Sew another line 1/8" away on either side (you now have three lines).

11. Fold in 1/2. Stitch along the bottom of the wallet, 1/8" away from the edge. Now starting at the bottom of the wallet, stitch up both sides, 1/8" away from the edge. On the right side, be sure that you're sewing down your pockets now. DONE! Do not iron the wallet flat-Instead, put your cards in it and crush it beneath some books. Stand on it for good measure.

Finally. I swear, this isn't nearly as complicated as I've made it sound. Let me know if anything is hard to understand. I don't care if anybody sells these wallets, but I ask that if anyone figures out improvements on my design, please share them.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008 09:22:23 AM by Vanyel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sierrabird
What are you looking at??

You crack me out!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008 07:28:02 PM »

That is so cool. Nice way to re-use something that would otherwise have been filling in a landfill. I love the fabric. Good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeagleMommy
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008 07:30:39 PM »

Great looking wallets!
I LOVE the frogs! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
webfootedmoose

what's so amazing that keeps us stargazing?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008 07:56:31 PM »

i would love a tutorial!  those are adorable
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sanity8080
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008 08:16:13 PM »

Would love a tute.  Those are awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sanity, Working Mom to my Kindergarten Princess, and Loving Wife to Silver, the only man who completes my soul.

My Etsy Shop
acire

om mani padme hum!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008 08:47:37 PM »

Tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008 08:54:17 PM »

tute!!!!
very pretty , and looks so pro!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Neeterg
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008 10:16:19 PM »

Definitely need a tute!!!! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
citizengeek
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008 10:37:22 PM »

woot!

tute, please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neeterg
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008 09:55:51 AM »

This is exactly what I was looking for!!! I have a young male bowling buddy that would like a new wallet with an ID pocket and I was just getting ready to improvise when your tutorial popped up.  Great job and even greater timing for me. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kathy Reichs and Linda Emond on "Bones Are Forever" Audio Book
Kathy Reichs and Linda Emond on "Bones Are Forever"
Rebecca Serle on "When You Were Mine"
Get Energized with Pete Cerqua
"Make Your Leadership Come Alive" Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner
Monsters, Monsters Everywhere

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...