A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,305
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop


Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Socks?  (Read 336 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+
 
Brettskyone
« on: March 31, 2008 06:16:29 AM »

I was just wondering everyones oppnion on socks how do you like to make them (toe up or cuff down) favorite sock yarn, circular or DPNs ... all that good stuff.

 just looking for a little inspiration to help with my bordom of the same ol', same ol'... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008 06:46:30 AM »

I was just wondering everyones oppnion on socks how do you like to make them (toe up or cuff down) favorite sock yarn, circular or DPNs ... all that good stuff.

 just looking for a little inspiration to help with my bordom of the same ol', same ol'... Roll Eyes

It's all personal preference - there's no best or right way. So fwiw, my preferences (and 'reasons') are -

Toe up - fewer stitches to cast on
DPNs - I like them. Preferably 6" bamboo
1 or 2 at time - one. that way I can work out any sizing or stitch count issues and not have 2 socks screwed up. plus, the 2nd sock goes much faster because all the figuring has been done.

Favorite toe - if it fits, it's good. Because different toe styles have different increase rates & places, some self-striping looks better (to me) in one style or another.

Favorite heel - whatever fits & looks good. I have 3 or 4 that are 'top choices' but sometimes either they don't work with the design so I start looking for others, or somebody writes about a new-to-me heel and so I try it out. Short-row heels (they look like store-bought sock heels) are not the only choice for toe-up socks! (they may be the most common written in patterns, but you can use other heel styles)

Favorite yarn - soft & pretty, usually fingering weight, although I use sport yarn for ski socks.

Stuff to remember -
Socks are just a tube with a bend in the middle. If you're done hats or mittens in the round, you've done about 90% of a sock (the heel is the other 10%).

If you've never worked in the round, flip a coin and pick one method - dpn, 'magic loop', or 2-circs - to try. If you like it, fine, keep using it. If you don't, fine, and try another. Don't go nuts deciding which is the perfect method, they all work, it's just a matter of which you're more comfortable with.

If you're the kind of knitter who reads through patterns and mentally knits them first, do NOT do that when you knit your first heel. The heel pattern just doesn't make sense that way. Just knit what it says. It's says to knit 12 and turn? Then do exactly that and don't flip out that there's still another 16 stitches on the needle. Just knit 12 and turn. When it's done, then you can look at the knitting & the pattern and see what happened, then it'll make sense.

You can change the heel & toe of sock patterns if you don't like the ones in the pattern.

If you're not doing 2 at once, take VERY GOOD notes about # of rows & stitches, so you can make sock #2 to match.

There's LOTS of how-to videos, websites, books, etc, so keep it simple - pick ONE and stick with it for a sock - don't flip back & forth between different methods on the same sock, you'll go nuts trying to figure out how the 30 stitches in this video compares to the 36 stitches in that website compares to the 42 stitches in the book while you have 32 stitches on your needles.


THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
 
Jump to:  



FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search



your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Beauty Products Hiding in Your Kitchen
Top 3 Eyebrow Products
VF COLLECTIONS: Versace - Fall 2015 - Milan Fashion Week - Runway & Interviews
FIRST LOOK: Giorgio Armani - Fall 2015 - Milan Fashion Week
How to Get a Natural Smoky Eye
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping




Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...






Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2015, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.