A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,935
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: has anyone used butterick 5088?  (Read 1380 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlefoxxx4312
« on: March 30, 2008 03:58:03 PM »

i wanna make view A from butterick 5088. i was just wondering if anyone's ever used it and how well it all turned out? also, would alterations be easy on this pattern too? i'm still kinda new to sewing so sometimes even the simplest most obvious things are confusing

http://www.butterick.com/item/B5088.htm?tab=coats_jackets_vests&page=1
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008 03:59:01 PM by littlefoxxx4312 - Reason: heres a link! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigerbaby1981
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008 04:23:06 AM »

very cute pattern. I would be interested in seeing how it comes out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennasMommy
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008 11:29:09 AM »

Sorry I can't help you out personally with this pattern but I did find a reviews on it  Sewing.PatternReview.com. This is a wonderful site I like to check out whenever there is a pattern I am interested in. I am a beginner sewer too so I like to get an idea of how hard the pattern is before I try it.  You will have to make an account with this site to view this link. Just sign up for the FREE ACCOUNT, thats what I have. Heres the direct link to the 4 reviews on this pattern... (hope this works)  http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?CompanyID=5&PatternNumber=5088&Size=0&Type=0&Recommend=0&MemberName=&search=Search

HTH
Mary

Heres one of the reviews on 5088 to give you an idea......

Pattern Description: Can't find the pattern envelope but these are lined, hip-lengthed jackets with different sleeve options.

Pattern Sizing:

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow?They were. I don't know what to say about the collar directions b/c I lost the instuction sheet at this point. I looked at GirlWhoGames review b/c she had a nice close-up shot of her jacket and I could see that there was some topstitching along the outside. So I sewed the inside collar in, right sides together, then folded under the seam allowance on the outside collar and topstitched it. This left some visible and imperfect stitching on the inside. Oh Well.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?Well, what I really liked was View A, with the gathered sleeves. But, I didn't have nor could I buy the appropriate fabric. I had to use what I had on hand and it did not lend itself to the gathered sleeves.

Fabric Used:Fleece. Now, this fabric was not one of the recommended fabrics. But from the moment I saw the pattern that's what I wanted to use. I had it on hand, so that's what I went with. For the lining I used Silkessence (aka polyester) from Joann's.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:I could tell right away that it was going to be too short for me to be comfortable in it so I added 3 inches to the length. I added pockets b/c I just am not comfortable swinging my arms around in the cold. My fingers get colder if I wear gloves or mittens (I've tried everything), so I must have pockets. It's like they can only get warm if they're touching each other and just turn into icicles when they're apart. Adding the pockets was fairly easy and would have been a breeze had I not inserted it first into the front center seam instead of the side seam. GRRRR.
Picture with my hand in correctly placed pocket.

I added 8 buttons instead of 6 b/c, originally it seemed that the jacket wasn't going to overlap as much as it does in the picture, so I was going to go with the 4 buttons as in view A. However, I figured out that if I left it that way the jacket was going to look way too boxy. Also, the jacket DID overlap well enough. By this time I had already made the 4 buttonholes. You can see that I am 2 buttons short b/c I had not planned for the 8 buttons. My husband likes it this way and I wore it today and my girlfriends didn't notice it, or at least they didn't mention it.

I didn't use interfacing anywhere.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?I still really want to make view A, so I might.

Conclusion: I am stupidly happy with my jacket. I'm very proud of it and glad to have an alternative. I currently own only 1 coat that I've had for 3 years. It was time for a new one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Marge Simpson
How to Sketch Donald Duck
How to Draw Comic Strips
How to Draw Winnie the Pooh
How to Draw Betty Boop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...