A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Never trust robots OR Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too? [img heavy]  (Read 1247 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jargon Scott
« on: March 23, 2008 11:21:07 PM »

Long time lurker (4 years!), first time poster!

I do lots of little crafts like knitting scarves, making totes, and fun with felt, but this was my first biggish project.

I always seem to be low on cash (college keeps sneaking up on me) so for the second year in a row i needed to find something
that was cheap and awesome for my boyfriend's birthday! Every year i pick a theme for his birthday so I went through
my fabric stash and luckily found my last yard of this super great fabric and my theme!

ROBOTS!

I had to buy the batting and the binding (on sale!) but i already had everything else. so i set to work and here is the final product:

The fabric on the top left is corduroy I've had for years, the backing is some really soft flannel I had from an old abandoned project, the bottom is linen, and all the squares are from scraps i had left from fat quarters. Everything is cotton so its super warm and snuggly.

My choices were a little limited so I hope I didn't make it too girly with that flower print and the umbrellas. I tried to balance it out and keep it from getting too busy. He is a boy after all!

This was my first quilt so there are a lot of mistakes. Mostly with the binding. I used pencil to mark my quilt top because it was so light but it doesn't come off as easily as i'd thought it would so i have to wash the whole thing. I guess that will test how good of a quilter i really am! I also had a little bit of a hard time keeping parts of it flat so some areas are a little more puffy or bunchy than others but overall i am really happy with it.

Sorry if the pics are kinda crappy. I had to use the camera on my phone.

Oh and, here is a pic of the rest of his presents so you can see how it all ties in.

1. A blue robot T-shirt.  2. My copy of, coincidently, one of my all time favorite sci-fi books. 3. a metal cigar box filled with: A) robot magnets. B) a robot cigarette case (even though i'm trying to get him to quit!). C) a mini comic about failed robot inventions. D) an i <3 robots pin. E) a tape of two of my favorite old sci-fi radio broadcasts from the 50's. I haven't finished the cover yet though, and yes its an actual tape...you know...like a cassette...stop staring at me! 

Oh and this guy!

Thanks for looking and please let me know what you think.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008 11:23:08 PM by Jargon Scott » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not enough to lay you out, but just enough to count.
HappyMadison87
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008 11:30:40 PM »

You are amazing. I ADORE robots! I wish i could find some robot fabric! Actually, I don't know how you found so much awesome robot stuff! I have a little collection of robot themed items, and it's taken me quite awhile to accomodate so many things. Good job on the quilt! And the bf is sure to love everything you've done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008 11:51:05 PM »

Holy crap, why haven't you posted before this? This is amazing! I love the choice of fabrics and the Robot theme is to die for. I did a Japanese themed quilt for my boyfriend for Christmas two years ago (not a hundred percent cheapo) so I can appreciate the handmade awesomeness for boyfriends. I bet he will love it (and all the other goodies as well) Cheesy

Thanks so much for posting, I really enjoyed reading about this. Cheesy

P.S. Start posting more projects! I'd love to see what else you come up with!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008 11:53:28 PM by Dinosaurus Meg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
Jargon Scott
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008 03:37:08 PM »

Thanks I'm glad you like it! Robots are my favorite.

I can't wait to give it to him! And as soon as i find pictures of the other things i've made i'll be sure to post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not enough to lay you out, but just enough to count.
LouraPalmr
Seamstress Of Hairspray Beauty Lounge

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008 10:12:10 PM »

great quilt, love the robot action.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"no shirt, no shoes, no dice"

My Etsy - http://www.DevilDogCouture.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...