A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftalong Round Two: Altered Book Making  (Read 5501 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Soopah
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2005 09:07:42 PM »

I'm joining in a bit late into this craftalong, because I just realized how much I need the support and love the idea of craftalongs!

My altered book was done very differently than those I've seen and read about in this thread but there were no specifications right?  I was silly and forgot to take pictures before I gave it as a birthday present, but I am trying to get some together.

I got an old Oceanography textbook at the thriftstore with a lively cover that was thick enough for my purposes.  Then I skipped a few pages, took the entire midsection, and glued it together... page by page.  This was so awfully time consuming!!! I'm sure there was a better way but I kind of like tedious things...
After everything was glued together and dried, I took an xacto knife to the center of the book, cutting out a decent sized square box that went down 3/4 of the way through the glued part.  Then I took the pieces I had cut out and modge podged them down to make the box look collaged and neat (ragged edges were ugly) and made that entire page look as if it was collaged with different pages and pictures from that book. Smiley 

I made a Hide-A-Way book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bkrenning4

"Dance like no one is watching..."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2005 01:44:22 PM »

where did you find that gorgeious rose paper (in the first pic)?  and is that a mirror in the last pic?  that's a brilliant idea!!!! 

It is not a mirror, although it look like it in the picture!  It is a frame that I still have to put a picture in.  The rose paper came from a thrift store down the block from me that is closing down.  Do you want some?  I can check to see if they have anymore and send you some.  Let me know.  It was like $.25 per page.

Kristine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bkrenning4

"Dance like no one is watching..."

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2005 01:45:20 PM »

If that IS a mirror, bkrenning4, did you make a niche for it, or just glue it down?  Doesn't it kind of weigh the paper down?  What kind of glue did you use?

Sorry about all the questions - I've been thinking of putting one in my book and have no idea how to.

Your pages are all beautiful...you've done this before haven't you? Cheesy

For something as heavy as a mirror, I would do a small niche.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whotookthebomp?

we are all fruit.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2005 04:32:16 PM »

i don't have pictures yet, but I've been working on my book really hard. I'm using a kitschy murder mystery from the 50's with a cool yellow bat on the cover, and I'm drawing/pasting/painting lots of things I'm afraid of, like roadkill, feet, boredom etc. i will try to post pictures soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alice the brave.
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2005 04:50:59 PM »

i don't have pictures yet, but I've been working on my book really hard. I'm using a kitschy murder mystery from the 50's with a cool yellow bat on the cover, and I'm drawing/pasting/painting lots of things I'm afraid of, like roadkill, feet, boredom etc. i will try to post pictures soon.

oh, that's a great theme! i'm having difficulty deciding on a theme for mine and getting started. i've planned at least 4 or 5 altered books this month, but i've yet to actually do one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
whotookthebomp?

we are all fruit.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2005 08:33:30 AM »

okay, here is some of the stuff I've been working on in my  book:

i'm afraid of poison ivy, so I did a page about it.

i'm afraid of woods at night, sorry this picture isn't very good.

i'm afraid of grownups who think that they're a lot smarter and wiser that kids

i'm afraid that if I eat too much pie in one sitting I might suddenly explode.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 09:35:00 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alice the brave.
donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

Save your forks, there's pie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2005 07:36:14 PM »

I have all the stuff to start my book but I just can't seem to get motivated.  I think it's the cutting up the book part.  It feels funny, plus, it's kind of a neat old cookbook and I want to just have it for my collection.  But I can't find another book I want to use. 

I might be late on this one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princesakati
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2005 08:10:18 PM »

and now I wanna do more.....  I have an old dictionary of organic gardening that is big and fat and out of date, annnnnnnnnnnnnd I have always wanted one of those books that is really a secret box, so....
Also at the used book store there were all these trashy books about ufo's, and then when I went home there was a national geographic with an article about invasive plants, so I started thinking about all the definitions about alien.... alien species, feeling alienated, being foreign --  maybe I could incorporate my mom's old alien registration card..
this book thing might be addictive!!!

PS BKRenning, I pm'ed you about the paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You've gotta sing louder if you want to stop war! -- Arlo Guthrie
donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

Save your forks, there's pie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2005 08:39:35 PM »

Ok, I just did my first page!

Apparently, whining about lack of motivation is very motivating for me
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2005 08:56:08 PM »

Well, I finally got three (!!!) pages done.  Sadly, two of those are a spread.

Like I said, I choose Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.  The book itself is quite tiny.

First page.  The pocket didn't turn out at all like I imagined it:

And when you open the pocket, behold a watch!  whoo:

The next two pages are when she's falling down the rabbit hole.  The words are from a creepy comic book that I wish I could remember the name of:

Here's what it says: Alice fell.  Or was she floating?  When one falls, the landing is abrupt and unpleasant.  And since Alice had been falling for quite some time, this landing would be far more abrupt and unpleasant than usual.  And so, Alice floated.

Lastly, the book has a ribbon bookmark sewn in the binding.  I attached a key charm to the end of it:

I've also started gluing pages together to make a niche for a tiny mirror, but I have a feeling that I won't be working on this book again for a while.  It's mid-term time. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
John Carter Cash Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Phillipa Gregory Talks About The Boleyn Inheritance Part 1
Meet Author Tonya Reiman
Lt. Gen. Russel Honore Talks About Survival
Joanna Smith Rakoff Reveals Her Most Noticeable Trait
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...