A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
722 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftalong Round Two: Altered Book Making  (Read 5507 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005 11:20:14 AM »

Those are all so awesome! 

When in the world was the sign-up?  I looked for it just about every day...must of missed it. Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
jessicakes

Callipygian means having shapely buttocks.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005 12:31:42 PM »

I'm not sure what book I'm going to use yet....should I find something I have around the house, or pick up something inspiring at the used book store???

something inspiring at the bookstore! I love going to bookstores...There's a used one here in Tulsa that is gigantic! It even has it's own restaurant attached!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005 05:06:57 PM »

When in the world was the sign-up?  I looked for it just about every day...must of missed it. Cry

If you'd like, I can sign you up! Smiley

BTW, you can do a search in the swap search section or the archive section to find out the details for this quarters swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rosebridejaya

Imagine all the people... Living life in peace.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005 07:12:55 PM »

I'm just poking my head in here to look at everyone's stuff, and it's great!  I love everything!  bkrenning4, I love how you continued the picture on the other page.  It's so pretty...

Are you gals using a regular 'ole glue stick?

When I do altered books, I use the almighty Mod Podge.  *holy light*  I love it... It'll stick absolutely anything to the page.  *hugs Mod Podge*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always look on the bright side of life... *whistles*
donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

Save your forks, there's pie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005 10:09:41 PM »

I'm not sure what book I'm going to use yet....should I find something I have around the house, or pick up something inspiring at the used book store???

something inspiring at the bookstore! I love going to bookstores...There's a used one here in Tulsa that is gigantic! It even has it's own restaurant attached!

Ooh, which one is that? The one on Garnett? (Or is the one i'm thinking of on Mingo?) I'm going to the one in Broken Arrow but I usually find it lacking
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessicakes

Callipygian means having shapely buttocks.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005 10:16:29 PM »

Ooh, which one is that? The one on Garnett? (Or is the one i'm thinking of on Mingo?) I'm going to the one in Broken Arrow but I usually find it lacking

Yes, that's the one!! I think it's on Mingo... Gardeners (sp?) Smiley it is just the most fabulous book store!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisaquilts
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005 07:33:48 AM »

I used a cotton swap and a mixutre of greens, black and yellow to try to duplicate the tree. 

I free handed the flowers and grasses on the bottom.

Finally, I added a three-dimensional dragonfly and lilac.

I feel as if the page is still missing something.  I am going to take a break and come back to it later.  Any suggestions?Huh?

I wouldn't change a thing. IMHO, and simply as a gawker to this wonderful swap, I think it's already perfect. The tree sprouting from the binding is a rich symbol. And well executed, too.

--lisaquilts
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing is therapeutic. Long live therapy.
princesakati
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2005 06:39:54 PM »

I don't have any pictures to post just yet, but I thought I'd share what I have done so far:  (BTW, I'm doing a blank book instead of a printed book because I have a respect for the printed word that I just can't overcome, not even to turn a crappy book into wonderful art.  So I'm working with a cheap cloth-bound sketchbook)
First I started with the endpapers and glued down purple organza ribbon at each end of the book to tie it shut with.  Then I cut some wrapping paper to size (kind of an antiquey, pastel paper -- it's technically wedding gift wrap, but since I got married a couple months ago, it's appropriate), rubber stamped some birds and flowers on it, then crumpled it up to give it texture, smoothed it out, and pasted it on, over the original endpapers.  It still needs something -- I like those embossed butterflies on BKrenning's book -- I might do something like that.  Then on the first page I glued down a beautiful skeletal leaf I found in La Tigra cloud forest and glued a sheet of vellum on top of it.  It looks really cool, but needs a border of some kind.
then I skipped a page and made a photo pocket -- I cut a rectangle 1/2 inch smaller than the size of a photo, and pasted edges on the bottom and 2 sides to the sheet below, so I can slip a photo in and it will show through the hole in the top page, if I am explaining that well.  I put in a photo of a red macaw that I took in Copan Ruinas.  I made some color copies of macaw feathers (from the same Copan macaws -- they shed like crazy apparently -- I found a ton of feathers there) and am going to cut them out and paste them on the page facing the photo. Oh, and I punched holes above the photo, and threaded a colorful yarn through them so the photo doesn't fall out.
I am going to work some more with the Honduras theme,but first I need to make some copies of some photos I have of my trip to the Carribean coast with my then-fiancee, and of our wedding, too, of course. 
but for right now I am going to skip some pages and start gluing in stuff I've been making at work -- I just started working at an art center, and have been exposed to so many cool things I want to try!!! I just made some cool tissue paper banderitas, which could easily be incorporated.
Oh, and I used to be a Peace Corps volunteer in Honduras and met my husband there, which is why I have the whole Honduras theme going.
happy crafting, everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You've gotta sing louder if you want to stop war! -- Arlo Guthrie
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005 08:43:18 PM »

Is anyone else totally lagging or just me? I still have not found a book but am determined to just pick one of my own tonight and start tonight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costum e maven.
taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2005 09:08:54 PM »

At first I thought, "I can use this project to make my horrid algebra book look better!"  But, I don't think my teacher would respect that idea, so I'm using a copy of Alice in Wonderland that I got for $5.00.  It's kinda tiny, though.  I have some ideas, but I haven't done anything yet.

princesakati, I never even thought of using a blank book...I might have to keep that in the back of my mind if I blank on what to do.

Are there any good links of materials and means of doing this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Drawings of a Person Standing
How to Draw a Nose
How to Sketch a Monkey
How to Draw an Ear
How to Draw Hands
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...