A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
312 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftalong Round Two: Altered Book Making  (Read 6421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2005 03:07:38 PM »

For all of you early birds, post your altered book making madness here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bkrenning4

"Dance like no one is watching..."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005 08:19:48 PM »

Here is the start of my altered book.

One of the first things I did when I started this altered book was to copy photos from each of the pages.  I copied them onto cardstock and vellum.  Because of the nature of this book, I had decided to try not to cover every page and use as a blank canvas.  Instead, I wanted to incorporate the designs already in the book with my own.

On this page, I took a photo from the left side of the page and tried to mimic it on the other side of the page.  I used a gel stain medium with an acrylic blue paint to create the background of "sky".  The gel stain medium transforms the acrylic paint into a gel stain, making it semi-transparent. 

I used a cotton swap and a mixutre of greens, black and yellow to try to duplicate the tree. 

I free handed the flowers and grasses on the bottom.

Finally, I added a three-dimensional dragonfly and lilac.

I feel as if the page is still missing something.  I am going to take a break and come back to it later.  Any suggestions?Huh?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bkrenning4

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005 08:20:33 PM »

These two pages are opposite each other.

Page 36:

PAGE 37:

On Page 36, I used different blues, purples and yellows in my water collor palette to create the background.

For the frames, I used a textured paper for the dark purple and plain cardstock on the lighter purple.  I used my lace corner punch on each of the corners.

The flowers are actually from a decopauge kit I had.  I would like to add more to this page.  I am considering it a work in progress.

On Page 37, I also used watercolors to paint a doily and when dry, wrapped it around the corner.  I added three color coordinated paper pieces to accent my vintage photo.  I then embossed gold butterflied all over the page.  I have a couple of tags to add, but other than that, I do consider this a finished page!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
elephantfanatic

real girls shoot guns!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005 03:01:07 PM »

ok, so i did a few pages in my book, but they don't feel like working today. i have one picture though!
oh yeah, it says, if love is surrender, then whose was is it anyway? it's a quote from a singer named Frou Frou.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005 03:04:49 PM by elephantfanatic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"All Cinderellas have their midnight." Thomas S. Monson.
bkrenning4

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005 08:28:29 PM »

Very nice!  I wish my drawing skills were better...I tend to use a lot of manipulated computer graphics and other things. Your page looks very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

Save your forks, there's pie!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005 10:11:34 AM »

Ok! This is a brand new craft for me so I might need lots-o-help.

The idea in my head for mine is to do a story about my husband and me  using the lyrics for "Come Take a Trip on my Airship" Because I'm kinda lame.

This weekend I think I'm going to go to try to find a book to use.  I'm going to go to the antique store by my house I think and get lots of old postcards (I have many old postcards in my collections but I don't want to cut them up)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessicakes

Callipygian means having shapely buttocks.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005 12:54:36 PM »

I got a book the other day for this. It's a photography book about color! So much potential, I just have no idea what I'll be doing! I'm excited though, it should be fun Smiley

~jessica
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elephantfanatic

real girls shoot guns!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005 02:15:28 PM »

ok, so the other picture decided to work!!! i thought it would be cool to pick a word, and just draw something that word reminded me of. so, i thought of this one time when we were almost stuck in a tornado on a bus! so yeah, that's what i drew!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"All Cinderellas have their midnight." Thomas S. Monson.
706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005 04:46:20 PM »

I'm not sure what book I'm going to use yet....should I find something I have around the house, or pick up something inspiring at the used book store???

Elephantfanantic- The flying hearts are super cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005 07:49:39 PM »

Are you gals using a regular 'ole glue stick? I MUST find my book tomorrow. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who hasn't found one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005 11:20:14 AM »

Those are all so awesome! 

When in the world was the sign-up?  I looked for it just about every day...must of missed it. Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
jessicakes

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005 12:31:42 PM »

I'm not sure what book I'm going to use yet....should I find something I have around the house, or pick up something inspiring at the used book store???

something inspiring at the bookstore! I love going to bookstores...There's a used one here in Tulsa that is gigantic! It even has it's own restaurant attached!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
706Designs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005 05:06:57 PM »

When in the world was the sign-up?  I looked for it just about every day...must of missed it. Cry

If you'd like, I can sign you up! Smiley

BTW, you can do a search in the swap search section or the archive section to find out the details for this quarters swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rosebridejaya

Imagine all the people... Living life in peace.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005 07:12:55 PM »

I'm just poking my head in here to look at everyone's stuff, and it's great!  I love everything!  bkrenning4, I love how you continued the picture on the other page.  It's so pretty...

Are you gals using a regular 'ole glue stick?

When I do altered books, I use the almighty Mod Podge.  *holy light*  I love it... It'll stick absolutely anything to the page.  *hugs Mod Podge*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always look on the bright side of life... *whistles*
donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005 10:09:41 PM »

something inspiring at the bookstore! I love going to bookstores...There's a used one here in Tulsa that is gigantic! It even has it's own restaurant attached!

Ooh, which one is that? The one on Garnett? (Or is the one i'm thinking of on Mingo?) I'm going to the one in Broken Arrow but I usually find it lacking
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessicakes

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005 10:16:29 PM »

Ooh, which one is that? The one on Garnett? (Or is the one i'm thinking of on Mingo?) I'm going to the one in Broken Arrow but I usually find it lacking

Yes, that's the one!! I think it's on Mingo... Gardeners (sp?) Smiley it is just the most fabulous book store!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisaquilts
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005 07:33:48 AM »

I used a cotton swap and a mixutre of greens, black and yellow to try to duplicate the tree. 

I free handed the flowers and grasses on the bottom.

Finally, I added a three-dimensional dragonfly and lilac.

I feel as if the page is still missing something.  I am going to take a break and come back to it later.  Any suggestions?Huh?

I wouldn't change a thing. IMHO, and simply as a gawker to this wonderful swap, I think it's already perfect. The tree sprouting from the binding is a rich symbol. And well executed, too.

--lisaquilts
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing is therapeutic. Long live therapy.
princesakati
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2005 06:39:54 PM »

I don't have any pictures to post just yet, but I thought I'd share what I have done so far:  (BTW, I'm doing a blank book instead of a printed book because I have a respect for the printed word that I just can't overcome, not even to turn a crappy book into wonderful art.  So I'm working with a cheap cloth-bound sketchbook)
First I started with the endpapers and glued down purple organza ribbon at each end of the book to tie it shut with.  Then I cut some wrapping paper to size (kind of an antiquey, pastel paper -- it's technically wedding gift wrap, but since I got married a couple months ago, it's appropriate), rubber stamped some birds and flowers on it, then crumpled it up to give it texture, smoothed it out, and pasted it on, over the original endpapers.  It still needs something -- I like those embossed butterflies on BKrenning's book -- I might do something like that.  Then on the first page I glued down a beautiful skeletal leaf I found in La Tigra cloud forest and glued a sheet of vellum on top of it.  It looks really cool, but needs a border of some kind.
then I skipped a page and made a photo pocket -- I cut a rectangle 1/2 inch smaller than the size of a photo, and pasted edges on the bottom and 2 sides to the sheet below, so I can slip a photo in and it will show through the hole in the top page, if I am explaining that well.  I put in a photo of a red macaw that I took in Copan Ruinas.  I made some color copies of macaw feathers (from the same Copan macaws -- they shed like crazy apparently -- I found a ton of feathers there) and am going to cut them out and paste them on the page facing the photo. Oh, and I punched holes above the photo, and threaded a colorful yarn through them so the photo doesn't fall out.
I am going to work some more with the Honduras theme,but first I need to make some copies of some photos I have of my trip to the Carribean coast with my then-fiancee, and of our wedding, too, of course. 
but for right now I am going to skip some pages and start gluing in stuff I've been making at work -- I just started working at an art center, and have been exposed to so many cool things I want to try!!! I just made some cool tissue paper banderitas, which could easily be incorporated.
Oh, and I used to be a Peace Corps volunteer in Honduras and met my husband there, which is why I have the whole Honduras theme going.
happy crafting, everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You've gotta sing louder if you want to stop war! -- Arlo Guthrie
PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2005 08:43:18 PM »

Is anyone else totally lagging or just me? I still have not found a book but am determined to just pick one of my own tonight and start tonight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taped_on_wings

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2005 09:08:54 PM »

At first I thought, "I can use this project to make my horrid algebra book look better!"  But, I don't think my teacher would respect that idea, so I'm using a copy of Alice in Wonderland that I got for $5.00.  It's kinda tiny, though.  I have some ideas, but I haven't done anything yet.

princesakati, I never even thought of using a blank book...I might have to keep that in the back of my mind if I blank on what to do.

Are there any good links of materials and means of doing this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2005 11:08:14 PM »

I don't have my book yet either.   I looked at some estate sales but I didn't find one I liked.  I plan on going this weekend to find one.  I guess my idea of giving the book to my husband for Valentine's day won't happen. Pooh. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2005 12:46:26 AM »

i haven't started yet either. i had thought about taking this opportunity to try a board book, which i've been wanting to do (and they're little, so it would fit my time frame!). but then i had a brainstorm for a francesca lia block themed book, so i might not. regardless, i can't start it until after valentines, i have too many swaps ending then! (and a new outfit to make!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
ilovepaper
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2005 12:26:20 PM »

Sorry- I have to back out of this one. I just joined the workforce again (woohoo! more craft money) after being a stay at home mom for a long time. I'm having a tough time fitting my life into fewer hours right now. I really, really, really want to try my hand at altering a book but I'm lacking time, inspiration and ideas. It's not something I want to just slap together and I'm afraid that's what I'll end up with if I try to do it now.
Hopefully, I'll be back in next month.
btw- I'm enjoying what everyone has done so far, keep posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2005 07:27:11 PM »

I got my book today! I looked around the used bookstore and didn't really see anything that I liked. But I did find an old cookbook from 1970 "Come for Cocktails, Stay for Supper".   It has a very plain blue cover (no pictures or writing at all) so it's perfect.  My mister is a chef, and I collect old cookbooks, so I think it will be appropriate.

I also found some pretty paper and pictures that I can use to decorate.

I'm still unsure if I want to glue my unused pictures together. I'm thinking about having the altered book portion in the front and just keeping the rest of it a cookbook.  Would that be lame?  Just not sure..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princesakati
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2005 08:23:13 AM »

Would that be lame?  Just not sure..

Since everyone else is using a "real' book and I'm using a blank book, I've been beating myself up that I'm not doing it right.  But then I realized that there is no right or wrong way in self-expression, right?  and there is no lame either!

my book is still coming along with lots of photos and vellum.  I got the idea to make a niche from the Lisa Vollrath site, so, since my sister complained that my book smelled too much like glue, I made a sachet out of gold tulle and filled it with lavendar and sewed it in the back page of the book and hacked out a niche for it to fit in.  very cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bkrenning4

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2005 09:05:55 AM »

Let's see some pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princesakati
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2005 04:42:48 PM »

I have neither digi cam nor scanner  Cry
hey speaking of altered boks check this guy's work out: http://www.lowegallery.com/long_bin-chen/
be sure to read the artist's statement!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bkrenning4

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2005 10:52:40 AM »

Here are a few more pages from my book:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2005 10:54:57 AM by bkrenning4 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
princesakati
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2005 04:26:55 PM »

where did you find that gorgeious rose paper (in the first pic)?  and is that a mirror in the last pic?  that's a brilliant idea!!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taped_on_wings

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2005 08:37:47 PM »

If that IS a mirror, bkrenning4, did you make a niche for it, or just glue it down?  Doesn't it kind of weigh the paper down?  What kind of glue did you use?

Sorry about all the questions - I've been thinking of putting one in my book and have no idea how to.

Your pages are all beautiful...you've done this before haven't you? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soopah
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2005 09:07:42 PM »

I'm joining in a bit late into this craftalong, because I just realized how much I need the support and love the idea of craftalongs!

My altered book was done very differently than those I've seen and read about in this thread but there were no specifications right?  I was silly and forgot to take pictures before I gave it as a birthday present, but I am trying to get some together.

I got an old Oceanography textbook at the thriftstore with a lively cover that was thick enough for my purposes.  Then I skipped a few pages, took the entire midsection, and glued it together... page by page.  This was so awfully time consuming!!! I'm sure there was a better way but I kind of like tedious things...
After everything was glued together and dried, I took an xacto knife to the center of the book, cutting out a decent sized square box that went down 3/4 of the way through the glued part.  Then I took the pieces I had cut out and modge podged them down to make the box look collaged and neat (ragged edges were ugly) and made that entire page look as if it was collaged with different pages and pictures from that book. Smiley 

I made a Hide-A-Way book!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bkrenning4

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2005 01:44:22 PM »

where did you find that gorgeious rose paper (in the first pic)?  and is that a mirror in the last pic?  that's a brilliant idea!!!! 

It is not a mirror, although it look like it in the picture!  It is a frame that I still have to put a picture in.  The rose paper came from a thrift store down the block from me that is closing down.  Do you want some?  I can check to see if they have anymore and send you some.  Let me know.  It was like $.25 per page.

Kristine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bkrenning4

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2005 01:45:20 PM »

If that IS a mirror, bkrenning4, did you make a niche for it, or just glue it down?  Doesn't it kind of weigh the paper down?  What kind of glue did you use?

Sorry about all the questions - I've been thinking of putting one in my book and have no idea how to.

Your pages are all beautiful...you've done this before haven't you? Cheesy

For something as heavy as a mirror, I would do a small niche.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whotookthebomp?

we are all fruit.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2005 04:32:16 PM »

i don't have pictures yet, but I've been working on my book really hard. I'm using a kitschy murder mystery from the 50's with a cool yellow bat on the cover, and I'm drawing/pasting/painting lots of things I'm afraid of, like roadkill, feet, boredom etc. i will try to post pictures soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alice the brave.
craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2005 04:50:59 PM »

i don't have pictures yet, but I've been working on my book really hard. I'm using a kitschy murder mystery from the 50's with a cool yellow bat on the cover, and I'm drawing/pasting/painting lots of things I'm afraid of, like roadkill, feet, boredom etc. i will try to post pictures soon.

oh, that's a great theme! i'm having difficulty deciding on a theme for mine and getting started. i've planned at least 4 or 5 altered books this month, but i've yet to actually do one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
whotookthebomp?

we are all fruit.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2005 08:33:30 AM »

okay, here is some of the stuff I've been working on in my  book:

i'm afraid of poison ivy, so I did a page about it.

i'm afraid of woods at night, sorry this picture isn't very good.

i'm afraid of grownups who think that they're a lot smarter and wiser that kids

i'm afraid that if I eat too much pie in one sitting I might suddenly explode.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 09:35:00 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alice the brave.
donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2005 07:36:14 PM »

I have all the stuff to start my book but I just can't seem to get motivated.  I think it's the cutting up the book part.  It feels funny, plus, it's kind of a neat old cookbook and I want to just have it for my collection.  But I can't find another book I want to use. 

I might be late on this one
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princesakati
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2005 08:10:18 PM »

and now I wanna do more.....  I have an old dictionary of organic gardening that is big and fat and out of date, annnnnnnnnnnnnd I have always wanted one of those books that is really a secret box, so....
Also at the used book store there were all these trashy books about ufo's, and then when I went home there was a national geographic with an article about invasive plants, so I started thinking about all the definitions about alien.... alien species, feeling alienated, being foreign --  maybe I could incorporate my mom's old alien registration card..
this book thing might be addictive!!!

PS BKRenning, I pm'ed you about the paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2005 08:39:35 PM »

Ok, I just did my first page!

Apparently, whining about lack of motivation is very motivating for me
THIS ROCKS   Logged

taped_on_wings

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2005 08:56:08 PM »

Well, I finally got three (!!!) pages done.  Sadly, two of those are a spread.

Like I said, I choose Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.  The book itself is quite tiny.

First page.  The pocket didn't turn out at all like I imagined it:

And when you open the pocket, behold a watch!  whoo:

The next two pages are when she's falling down the rabbit hole.  The words are from a creepy comic book that I wish I could remember the name of:

Here's what it says: Alice fell.  Or was she floating?  When one falls, the landing is abrupt and unpleasant.  And since Alice had been falling for quite some time, this landing would be far more abrupt and unpleasant than usual.  And so, Alice floated.

Lastly, the book has a ribbon bookmark sewn in the binding.  I attached a key charm to the end of it:

I've also started gluing pages together to make a niche for a tiny mirror, but I have a feeling that I won't be working on this book again for a while.  It's mid-term time. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chirel
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2005 10:46:16 AM »

I'm crafting again  :Dand it's still February so I'm still in time to do this craftalong, right Wink? I just started half an hour ago with my book. Let's see if I have something to show before the end of March...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
706Designs

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2005 06:35:23 PM »

Sorry, gals, February didn't allow me much crafting time....I have the new post up for the Monster/Doll craftalong

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=27426.0

Sandy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2005 07:34:44 PM »

Don't worry, I didn't have much time either. I had a big move and my craft space is still not totally organized. I did buy a whole bunch of supplies and am determined to do this! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2005 10:23:27 PM »

I'm done! Yay!

Ok, so it's not as creative as some of the others I've seen, but I'm pretty happy w/ it.  Also happy to be finished.

Anyway, I used an old cookbook and did a storybook kind of thing based on the song lyrics from "Come take a Trip in my Airship"  I'm lame.

Pictures, although crappy quality (I'm still not getting how to make nice quality photos after you shrink them down to small enough files to upload):

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bkrenning4

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2005 02:20:02 PM »

It's beautiful!  Very well done!  Is it your first?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donutgirl
I'm Glazed!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2005 03:03:23 PM »

Thank you!  Yes it is my first.  I can see how this can be addictive
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Understand Hexadecimal
How to Create Flash Buttons - Flash CS3
How to Create an Animation - Photoshop CS3
How to Design a Haunted House Part 2/3
Clone Yourself in Sony Vegas
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...