A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 312,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: For a good cause: a recycled bag with a positive uplifting message...  (Read 628 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
McTavish: the tiniest kitty in all the land

Yep, that is a tissue box ...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 29, 2008 07:39:29 PM »

I am hoping that someone will be interested to give me a bit of a push here.  I have some ideas, but I'm not very fond of them at this point.

I work for a funeral home (a wonderful one, by the way) and when our families leave us, they are given a large Burgundy shopping bag with our name and logo on it, which could be reusable, but it's not really something you would save.  It can be recycled.  The bag usually contains their register book, prayer cards, death certificates, etc. 

Here's what my boss says:

"We are going to design a new tote/bag to use for promotional materials, urns, etc  The bag will be sold at any of our promotional events, and given to our families after a funeral.  I want the bag to be sort of hip and trendy, unlike most funeral merchandise.  It may be made of green materials and be something that would be used over and over.  For each bag sold or given away we will make a monetary donation to Good Grief.  I want the bag to be uplifting with some sort of symbolism, for example a stylized dove to represent peace, or a funky tree to represent life.  The symbol will be on one side and our logo and, with permission, Good Griefs logo on the other.  I want to add a positive message along with the image to the tote bag.  The uplifting message might be something like endeavor to persevere, or carry on 

What I am going to do is mock up the different designs.  I am going to bring his idea to life on one of them.  I drew a dove that I think fits the bill and I am going to pair it with the tree of life (with roots)  One of the messages I am thinking of is 'Celebrate Life'.

PS Good Grief is an organization that we work with that helps children who have lost parents.

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense

wisty goodness
What are you looking at??

You crack me out!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008 11:07:57 AM »

I think that would be a good idea. It would be environmentally friendly and they would look better then the plastic. I think you should totally make it.

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008 01:37:11 PM »

How about a Buddhist knot? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endless_knot

Or a Celtic knot? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_knot

I like the dove, but that is limiting your audience. Maybe instead of just peaceful symbols, how about searching for symbols of eternal life?

Or do several designs and give the families a choice?

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008 05:59:41 AM »

Great ideas, is there a specific colour they had in mind like the burgandy plastic bags?

I would make sure that the bottom of the bags are squared so they stand up on their own with some stiffening. The boxes the (average) urns come in are about 8-10" square so I would make them not as wide but square, and they could be a bit taller than the normal tote bag. 

These would be great to put the deseases belongings in as well.  So depending on how much work you want to make out of it, maybe a pocket in the inside for small articles?

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Peach and Moonshine Jam
Mascarpone and Marmalade Ice Cream Recipe
Gluten & Dairy Free Rich Chocolate Nut Cookies
No-Bake Fresh Strawberry Pie
How to Make Cheesecake With 3 Ingredients
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...