A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone up for knitting John's Sweater?  (Read 3144 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tephra
« on: March 29, 2008 05:36:18 PM »

I fell in love with it when I saw it on Norah Gaughan's blog and some of you might have heard the *squee!* of total glee when it went up as a Berroco free pattern.

Take a look at it.

Seeing as I'm female and have hips and a butt I'm going to be making some changes with mine. Just what changes will depend on my swatch (already in progress).

I'm thinking that 1" of ease at the bust might be wearable, or rather, I really hope it will be since that's all the 2X will give me. Being pear shaped, I need to do something about the hips however, -3" of ease is NOT attractive around my hips. I may use larger needles over the hips if the fabric looks decent, or I might be working up a chart for the side seam area and doing the body of the sweater in the round. I'll let you know when I get the swatch done.

4/6: No nibblers yet. Oh well. I'm swatching still, but it looks like using US#10.5 needles will give me enough room for my hips so I won't have to get creative with charts.

The photo is poor because I shot it late at night (I originally wrote "knit"!) under florescent lighting, but you can see the cables at least. I should finish the swatch soon, only 20 rows left, I just took a break to knit my last hat of the season. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008 04:52:07 PM by Tephra » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jewells68
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008 07:03:54 AM »

That looks really pretty, have you done any more on it? I would love to give it a try, but I am getting ready to start that top-down raglan as my first sweater, and haven't tackled cables yet. This is very cool , though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008 09:49:51 AM »

That looks really pretty, have you done any more on it? I would love to give it a try, but I am getting ready to start that top-down raglan as my first sweater, and haven't tackled cables yet. This is very cool , though!

A smidge over 3 inches done on the front and back. I'm doing them at the same time (but not in the round). My cable needle snapped last night though so I'm stalled until I get a replacement. *sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jewells68
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008 08:43:57 PM »

A smidge over 3 inches done on the front and back. I'm doing them at the same time (but not in the round). My cable needle snapped last night though so I'm stalled until I get a replacement. *sigh*

I actually decided to wait on the top-down raglan and just this afternoon cast on the "pretty in pink tank top"...

hope you get a new needle soon, you were making good progress... Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008 04:50:50 PM »

I actually decided to wait on the top-down raglan and just this afternoon cast on the "pretty in pink tank top"...

hope you get a new needle soon, you were making good progress... Embarrassed

New needle, and one complete pattern repeat, finally.  Grin

Rather than knitting 3" of the first two rows of the chart on size 9 needles I knit just 7 rows (about 1.5") on size 10s.

I knit the first repeat on size 10.5 needles rather than 10s so I would have about an inch of positive ease over my hips and butt rather than about three inches of negative ease. At this point the sweater is about the desired hem to waist length so I'm going to drop down to 10s as the pattern specifies for the rest of the body.

I'm not really going for a shaped sweater, I'm just aiming to have a minimum of 1" of positive ease at the hips and bust.

Planned modifications:

The original pattern is a modified dropped shoulder style and if I kept that I'd have to drastically shorten the sleeves. Since I'm not really a fan of dropped shoulders anyway I plan to convert the pattern to set in sleeves. I'll be running a lifeline before I start the armscye shaping in case my planned decreases don't work.

In addition, I will be dropping the front neckline a couple inches since the depth as written will be tighter fitting than I like to wear. There will be a lifeline before I attempt this too.

And, since I'm changing so much anyway, I'll probably add back neckline shaping. The original is just straight across and that tends to pull my clothing back in ways I don't like. Yep, another lifeline is going in here.

Once I get the front and back done I'll join the shoulders and baste the sides to try it on and then get to totally redesigning the sleeves since I want a tighter wrist and will have to alter the sleeve cap to fit my new armscye.

You know, technically this is my first sweater...  Roll Eyes  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jewells68
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008 03:46:19 AM »

Wow. That's alot of modifications for a first sweater! It looks terrific so far...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008 08:34:26 AM »

Wow. That's alot of modifications for a first sweater! It looks terrific so far...

It didn't seem like that many modifications to start, but then it sort of steamrolled.... I couldn't figure a way to manage to shorten the sleeves while not messing with the armscye, there were just too many increases to make in too short a distance, even with the original wrist cast on amount. Once I accepted that the whole sleeve and armscye needed changing it wasn't much to alter the neck.

I've been drafting my own sewing patterns for years so it's not that scary, I just have to brace myself for the eventual frogging of some portion of this sweater. It might work first try, but if it does I should probably buy a lottery ticket!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tephra
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008 01:40:19 PM »

Bumping this up with an update on my progress.

Two full pattern repeats! Since there's nothing for scale that's about 12"/30cm from the cast on.

I think it will take one more to get to the armscye. I keep telling myself that it will go faster then because the rows will get shorter.   Roll Eyes

There's still plenty of time to join me~ <3 As you can see, I'm slow, so someone knitting faster (or a smaller size) could catch up and finish before I do I'm sure.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008 06:14:47 PM »

You know, I just took on the job of knitting a sweater for my brother's ex-brother-in-law (long story, but he's very special) and this one would be perfect! He remembers one I knit for him waaaayyyyy back when they were fishing in Alaska together in the 70s (and my brother and his sister were still married) and he loved it and wore it to death ... so how could I refuse a request for another one! This sweater looks perfect.

... so, as soon as I finish the remake of Mrs. Darcy for my sister, I'm on board! I loved the sweater and saved it when it first came but your KAL reminded me of it just when I was looking for the pattern!

Yours looks absolutely, by the way ...just adore the color!

I think I will be doing it in the round, however, if possible (haven't looked at the pattern yet to see if there are crossings on every row or not). Have this 'thing' about doing things in pieces ...

Riki
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008 09:04:51 PM »

You know, I just took on the job of knitting a sweater for my brother's ex-brother-in-law (long story, but he's very special) and this one would be perfect! He remembers one I knit for him waaaayyyyy back when they were fishing in Alaska together in the 70s (and my brother and his sister were still married) and he loved it and wore it to death ... so how could I refuse a request for another one! This sweater looks perfect.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for a handknit sweater!

... so, as soon as I finish the remake of Mrs. Darcy for my sister, I'm on board! I loved the sweater and saved it when it first came but your KAL reminded me of it just when I was looking for the pattern!

Yours looks absolutely, by the way ...just adore the color!

Thanks. Smiley I adore purple but rarely find clothing in the shades I like so when I saw this yarn I knew it needed to be a sweater. The next day this pattern came out, it seemed like a hint. Cheesy

I think I will be doing it in the round, however, if possible (haven't looked at the pattern yet to see if there are crossings on every row or not). Have this 'thing' about doing things in pieces ...

Riki

Crossings are every right side row, lots and lots of crossings. I considered doing it in the round for a bit but decided with the changes I'm going to make to the sleeve I didn't want to have to deal with setting in a sleeve to a closed armhole on top of things. I can fudge things a bit more if there's a seam should the need arise.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Update a Side Braid Hairstyle
How to Get Christina Hendricks’s Emmys Hairstyle
Trendy Hairstyles for Kids
Hair Straightening Techniques
Sexy Short Hairstyle Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...