A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fleece Puppy Bed with Tutorial  (Read 94667 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , pet_bed , tutorial , dog_blanket  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LilFiney

Wishing for Summer.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 29, 2008 05:18:10 PM »

I was wandering through the stores, trying to find a good bed for our puppy...but I was having a hard time letting myself spend 15-some bucks on a bed... SO i went to Joann's and looked at McCall's patterns, and saw this.... BUT I didn't use the pattern, just stole the idea.

I bought the fleece in the remnant bin, spending a total of 5 bucks on that and another 2 dollars on polyfill... The puppy just LOVES it.  The best part is, she likes to chew on the "tags" on the sides, and then she grabs 'em and tries to pull her bed around. Smiley

If anyone is interested, I will put up a tut on how i did it.  It's not complicated at all!

First off, thanks so much for all the feedback!!  I was SO proud of how my little fleece bed made it to a Hot Post!! Grin

and now, it's the tut!!  i apologize if it's too simplified, but i wanted to make it very clear in case people have never made tied blankets before.

the concept is based on tied fleece blankets, so if you know how to do it, this will be super easy for you!

first off, the supplies

• fleece (i used two different colors, which i bought from the remnant bin, bought around a yard EACH
  • scissors or a rotary cutter
  • ruler
  • safety pins
  • polyfill or some other sort of filling

the next thing i did was lay out the fabric one on top of the other, the sides i don't want showing facing IN, then i folded the fleece in half, so it would reduce the cutting time

i decided on how big to make this one, the first one i just sort of cut out an oval shape to make it larger, but this one i wanted to be a circle. i measured how far it was from the fold to the end, which was around 19 inches.  then i measured 19 inches from the bottom, pinned my tape measure to that spot, and preceded to spin the tape around like the hands on a clock, and put in a safety pin every once and awhile.... hopefully the pictures will help this make sense.  i did this to try to make a nice circle.

the center pin which i rotated around

the measurement out from the center pin

the final pin layout

i cut along the pins to help keep it in a circle shape, then i unfolded it.

pretty close, cept for the selvage

i put a safety pin the middle, to keep both pieces from slipping too much while i was cutting

then i determined how big i wanted my tags to be.  i made mine 4 inches long and 1.5 inches wide, i measured the first one, and then just free hand cut following the first cut around the circle.

the first cut

what it looks like around the entire circle, you can use either scissors and i have heard of people using rotary cutters and cutting mats

after its cut, then i begin to tie knots.. which is just a normal square knot.  i usually try to tie evenly (hope i explain this okay), i pick one color, ex. the yellow and I will tie that first, then tie the blue on top.  this keeps both sides of the tag even.

remember to keep these TIGHT so stuffing doesn't come out,
WARNING: don't pull TOO hard, sometimes the fleece will rip  Shocked

continue this around the entire circle, EXCEPT for the last 3 or so (about 5 inches)  it will begin to get all bunch and ugly looking.

in progress, notice the wrinkling...

all knotted, except for the last few

yeah! almost done!! :-)  now take your choice of filling, for me it was polyfill (the cheapest stuff, ha ha)  when I am stuffing, i rip apart the polyfill, trying to give it a bit more air.  stuff your bed however you want, i did some extra in this one, trying to give it some more loft!  when you are satisfied with your stuffing, just tie off the last three and WAH LAH! all done!

NOTE:  since the two pieces are the same size, i noticed that whatever piece is on top tends to have extra "wrinkles" in it.  if you don't want any wrinkles, maybe you can make the circle a few inches smaller?? but i am not sure on how to do that at all.  Tashi (my puppy) really likes the extra wrinkles, she "digs"  around in her bed and tries to hide her toys.. so up to you!

let me know if you have any questions!! and please post your beds if you make some! it will be really cool to see everybody's "babies" hanging out! :-)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010 12:16:56 PM by pixieval » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avoiding homework one stitch at a time....
crafty gurll
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008 05:26:33 PM »

The puppy AND the bed are completely adorable! Smiley

If you have time for a tutorial, that would be great.  I have been looking for a pattern with no luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilFiney

Wishing for Summer.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008 05:34:36 PM »

Thanks! I will put one up tomorrow!!  Don't spend the money on the pattern.. is was 15 dollars... yikes!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avoiding homework one stitch at a time....
liljinkss

Runs with scissors!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008 05:47:54 PM »

I just love this idea!!! My little min pin/chihuahua mix loves to lay on soft stuff so i just made an envelope style pillowcase out of orange furry material but this idea is way way cooler than hers! I would love to have a tut for this! Thanks in advance if you do post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008 05:49:56 PM »

i love it! It looks like so much fun and your puppy is soooo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
crafty gurll
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008 05:51:18 PM »

I look forward to seeing the tutorial!  $15, yikes is right! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JadedJenn

Valar morghulis.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008 05:51:59 PM »

Your puppy is sooooooo cute! The bed looks very comfy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
My Wists
Rhiannon Sarah
Rhiannon Incorporated

I Loves the Trolls!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008 05:52:21 PM »

Your puppy is adorable!!! I look forward to the tut, if you put one up. Smiley

I've been wanting to make a bed for my puppy, a circle one with a dip in it, so he can curl up into it. This looks perfect!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Bringing the Extraordinary, to the Ordinary -
sillymomma
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008 06:23:45 PM »

Ooooh what a great idea! Looks like those blankets with the fringe on the outside, but you sewed & stuffed it. cool beans!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps? I would love beautiful/useful polymer clay items, fashion accessories, anything oriental or oceanic, or jewelry? PM me if I can make something for you! Custom glass etchings, beaded jewelry, collage artwork, winter hat/scarfs, write-on calendars, custom name boards, cookies-in-a-jar
TheWomanMonster
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008 06:25:30 PM »

That's awesome.
And your puppy is ADORABLE.
I love Boston Bull Terriers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheWomanMonster. I'm crafty!
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star." - Nietzsche.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jon Scieszka Reads from Truckery Rhymes
Crossing the Tracks Book Trailer
Rick Springfield Talks About Late, Late at Night Part 2
Blood Ties Book Trailer
David Grann Reveals His Previous Occupation
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...