A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Weaving Attempt & Homemade Loom  (Read 52954 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

weet!
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2008 11:40:01 PM »

that is such a great idea. i think i might make myself one with metal piping (yeah, i know it would be heavy, but its important to keep the warp taut and it doesnt seem to me that a pvc pipe would keep it tight enough).

also might i suggest...
on the front and back bars that the warp is rolled onto, maybe making one of the two elbows holding the bar on a T connector instead and extending the pipe through it so that it would be easier to roll the warp on/off when you are done with that section. although you would have to rig up some way for it to not unroll itself from the tension...i hadnt figured that part out yet myself  Tongue

im not totally sure that that is going to make sense to you guys lol. it makes sense in my head, i swear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edenkitty
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008 08:20:26 PM »

Oh my god! That's impressive, you really have an amazing mind! To have come up with a loom out of PVC!!!! Wow! You're the MacGuyver of craft (It's a compliment I promise)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008 08:53:01 PM »

Oh my god! That's impressive, you really have an amazing mind! To have come up with a loom out of PVC!!!! Wow! You're the MacGuyver of craft (It's a compliment I promise)!

I think that's the best compliment I've had in a long time!!  I love MacGuyver!  Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
luckdragon
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2008 02:21:03 PM »

This is really great and thanks so much for the info on building the loom!  My daughter's art class used a cardboard box for a loom (gotta love art funding in the public schools), but she really loved the whole idea of weaving.  This would be a fun project for us to do together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2012 (24/50)
Looking for a vintage magazine (1974 - 1978) that has a fabric nativity set w/ people and animals. An example: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=440861&ppuser=143144.
knkurz
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2009 06:07:35 AM »

I know I'm necroing a dead thread, but I just wanted to say that this is probably the most amazing thing I have seen in a long time.  I'm definitely going to build one of these!  I've been itching for a table loom for quite some time, but don't have the 700-900 dollars to shell out at this point.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for posting a tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angelcallie
Fabric Addict

It is a truth universally acknowledged . . .

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2009 11:32:58 AM »

That is amazing! I never would have thought of that, and I've been grumbling over the relative cost of looms as compared to my income, as well. You are an example to us all Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just as I am
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2009 10:01:16 PM »

Have your ever gotten a tutorial put together with the photos you took? I would love to try this. I am very impressed with the items I saw on your blog. Keep up the good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2009 10:07:02 AM »

Have your ever gotten a tutorial put together with the photos you took? I would love to try this. I am very impressed with the items I saw on your blog. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words!  I did not get a tutorial put together as I had planned.  I ended up buying a "proper" rigid heddle loom and have stashed the PVC pieces away.  I think I may dig them out though and put something together.  I'll post if I get it done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
thanate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

wanting to do everything is *no excuse* for not doing anything.

crafty alchemist (now, with tea!)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009 12:25:36 PM »

I ended up buying a "proper" rigid heddle loom and have stashed the PVC pieces away.  I think I may dig them out though and put something together.  I'll post if I get it done.

So, having used both this and a "real" loom... have you got any useful comparisons to share on what's better or worse between the two, besides the obvious cost factors?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aggiecraft
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2013 03:38:02 PM »

I know its been a while since this thread as been alive, but I just found it. I ran out to the store and got parts to build this loom (thumbs up for the idea and tutorial Cheesy) I was wondering if you could give some advice on how to get the end pieces (24 inch pieces) to turn easier. I have put it together, oiled with spinning wheel oil, but nothing seems to be working...I just cant ge the buggers to turn. Help plz!! Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
This Trick Will Take the Redness Out of Your Pimple
4 Makeup Tips to Change Your Routine Forever
A Natural Solution For Backache
How to Wear Fresh Spring Makeup
The Risks of Wearing Eyelash Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...