A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,738
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bug Bean Bag *updated with picture*  (Read 1070 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hokiekate
« on: March 28, 2008 07:20:42 PM »

I've been working on a BIG quilt for a long time (intermittently) and it involves curved piecing. This is a big pain in my butt since I hate templates. It also results in a lot of weirdly shaped scraps. Well, I had all these half circle scraps and I thought I could make them into something fun and this little guy just appeared. The idea for this bug bean bag was totally inspired by these bunnies. I've only made the one and plan on making more, as I have lots of scraps. I think I can improve on him. He doesn't look all that buglike to me. And his legs look weird. But my son loves him. He keeps saying, "Mommy made a little buggy guy for Simon." Now, I just have to come up with some kind of game to play with the bugs. You know, other than just throw-them-around-the-room.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008 06:10:53 AM by hokiekate » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muddlepud
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008 07:36:02 PM »

Aw! I think he's adorable. Love the colors.

You could always make some sort of basket or "bug catching net" and then play bean bag toss with them, eh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama of two, eeking out a few creative hours a day.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."  ~Pablo Picasso
Shop
Blog
Flickr
TwiztidBlood
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008 07:37:00 PM »

awww, hes adorable
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just moved to a new loft, please contact me for my new mailing address!
My Wist
christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008 07:42:18 PM »

That is SO cute!

Maybe make the legs a little longer and tie a pony bead on the end (or even sew little round feet?) to give the legs a bit of weight. Or maybe sew the ribbon in looped with a bead strung on instead of tying it on (to prevent clever little fingers from freeing the beads and creating a choking hazard). I love it! He's so cute!

I've gotta get a set for my nephew!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008 08:35:10 PM »

Great use of scraps!  It's so cute and your son's reaction is just plain adorable!  Maybe put the seam the other direction so it looks a bit like a head and body?  Honestly it's plenty buggy as is.  As for games, maybe make a mat with a grid or something on it or board with holes in it to toss the bean bags into?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

robynsteiner
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I heart SLB...He's dreamy!

Fo Shizzle, yo...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008 08:47:58 PM »

Sooo cute! You could make a fabric tic-tac-toe blankie. We have one of those at the office with giant red and black pieces, but I think the bugs would be much cuter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L: "Don't leave your dirty package on the table."
C: "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that..."

I WIST I had all these super cool things!

See you in the clouds, sweet little Jackson.
hokiekate
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008 06:10:29 AM »

Here is my completed buggy collection Wink.  I gave them all slightly different faces and added knots to the little legs for feet.  I really liked the suggestion of beads, but I didn't want anyone getting hurt (or offended, more likely) by beads to the head.

I haven't done any research yet on bean bag games we can play with them, but Simon has made up a few of his own. First is "Throw Them in a Bowl". This involves tossing them into a plastic mixing bowl. He walks right up to it, drops the bug in, and then wriggles with glee. The even more popular variant on this game is to place the bowl far, far away and then make Daddy toss the buggy guys in the bowl. Crafty kid. The other favorite game is called "Zoom... weeee!". This involves placing the bean bag on top of the coffee table and sliding it off with as much force as possible. While it is flying through the air, he yells, "Zoom! Weee!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kleinsch
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008 06:46:22 AM »

Your bugs are beautiful--such lovely colors and prints! 

Bean bags are great for playing (teaching) so many things with kids: you teach catching and throwing (underhand/overhand) without getting hurt; you can walk around with them balanced on your head, practicing your coordination and good posture; you can sort them by color or pattern; you can count them; you can make up stories and have the bugs act them out; you can draw them...the skies the limit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The more children are valued, the better their values will be.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Sexy, Full-Bodied Hair
Moroccan Inspired Hairstyles at the Tadashi Shoji FW 2014 Show
How to Get the Haircut You Want
Celeb Stylist Ashley Javier on How to Get Retro-Glam Hair
How to Get Frizz Free Curls with a Diffuser
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...