A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: An organizer for scrub pockets...(a.k.a. pocket pal, pocket pouch)  (Read 2697 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RosiePosie
« on: March 28, 2008 01:55:45 PM »

If anyone has had to wear scrubs for work you know what a pain it is to find anything in your pockets. As a nursing student I have tons of stuff in my pockets, which makes it even harder. One of my teachers made one of these and I studied it a while and figured out how she did it. This is my first trial.

Front

Back

Detail

"Nurse Zita" is what my family calls me. Zita is my nickname and when they call to mooch some free medical advice they say, "I have a Nurse Zita question for you...". 
I think if I make another of these I'll make the front with two rows of pockets, a taller one for pens and a shorter one for other stuff like alcohol swabs or whatever.
Thanks for looking!
--RosiePosie aka Nurse Zita
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008 01:57:03 PM by RosiePosie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cosmo-jay
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008 02:00:07 PM »

I really love this idea, while i am not a nurse this could very easily be adopted to fit the stuff i use as a cosmotologist like my shears and razors and a cutting comb

i am def going to have to make one of these now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tutusandfrogs
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008 02:09:53 PM »

So, do you just shove this in one of your scrub pockets???  I cram a lot of stuff into the pant pockets.  I never get scrub pants w/o cargo pockets.  This is a great idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sierrabird
What are you looking at??

You crack me out!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008 02:18:37 PM »

That is a great idea. That way you know where every thing is and don't have to keep someone waithin while you find something!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the_christine
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008 02:22:16 PM »

Oh, that is a great idea!  My best friend just got into nursing school and I would love to make her one of these.  Can you post piece dimensions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008 02:35:42 PM »

Nice! I'll have to make one for my son, the surg tech. Have you sewn any surg caps yet? I can practically make them in my sleep now - lots of fun! Maybe a matching set is in order?
Thanks for sharing!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
RosiePosie
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008 03:20:08 PM »

Can you post piece dimensions?
This is 6" tall by about 5.5" wide. I did French seams which cut it down a little. Next time I'll probably just go with a zig-zag stitch instead for strength.

Have you sewn any surg caps yet? I can practically make them in my sleep now - lots of fun! Maybe a matching set is in order?
I haven't needed a surg cap, but matching would be cool! Ooooh and a matching stethoscope cover even Smiley

This makes emptying/refilling my pockets easier too, if I'm not taking out everything one by one maybe I won't lose so many pens!
Thanks for all the compliments Smiley
--Rosie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robynsteiner
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I heart SLB...He's dreamy!

Fo Shizzle, yo...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008 09:06:50 PM »

I have 2 nurses in my family and I would love to make this as gifts for them - will you post a tute? Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L: "Don't leave your dirty package on the table."
C: "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that..."

I WIST I had all these super cool things!

See you in the clouds, sweet little Jackson.
RosiePosie
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008 07:55:19 AM »

I'm not very good at making pictures, so I'll try to just type out how I did it.

I cut 1 piece of fabric 6.5x 13 for the main body. I cut one piece 4.5x 13 for the pocket (you can adjust the dimensions for your own seam allowance preference). You could make this with 2 pockets if you wanted, a taller one for pens and shorter one for other stuff. 

I folded over and hemmed the little pocket at the top and the main body at the top.

Then I pinned the pocket to the main body, and I sewed in the little channels for the pens to go. If you're not going to do double seams then also sew a line on the side that has the fold so the little pocket stays separate front and back.

At this point I should have folded it right sides together and just zig-zagged the sides and bottom, but I tried to double seam it. I don't recommend doing that because it made my corners lumpy and I don't think it looked as nice.

You should end up with one big pocket in the middle, and then the pockets on the outside.

I apologize if this doesn't make much sense, it's a sleepy Saturday morning and my coffee hasn't kicked in yet, lol.
If you need any clarification don't hesitate to ask.
--Rosie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigfatroses
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008 12:46:40 PM »

I am going to try to make one of these for my MIL! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have several craft books available for trade/Wist items/supplies.  Please see my profile for more info Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Create a Dramatic Sky and Crop the Image
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Sharpen the Focus
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use Adjustment Layers
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Fix Details with the Clone Stamp Tool
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Correct Colors
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...