A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another question- modifying wristwarmers  (Read 592 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PinFish
« on: March 28, 2008 06:31:28 AM »

My friend has asked me to knit her some armwarmers using this pattern:

http://ysolda.com/wordpress/2007/11/25/garter-stitch-mitts/

The problem is that she'd really like them to be much, MUCH longer- like over the elbow, mid-upper-arm long. That wouldn't be a problem if they were knit wrist-up, laterally, in the round, but they're knit flat vertically instead. How would I do shaping to allow for her arm muscles? Short rows, maybe? I'm not terribly experienced with short row shaping, but if someone could give me some hints I might be able to figure it out.

Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008 01:03:26 PM »

Try the basic formula of this pattern.  It has a formula that's adjustable, although I think it's too tight around the wrist for a hand to get through easily.  I'd leave some ease there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinFish
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008 04:39:56 PM »

Try the basic formula of this pattern.  It has a formula that's adjustable, although I think it's too tight around the wrist for a hand to get through easily.  I'd leave some ease there.

Thanks, but I don't think those are knit sideways, and that's really the problem- I can do shaping for things knit in the round, but this is knit side to side and seamed.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tephra
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008 07:43:43 PM »

Short rows. How many and how long will depend on the shape of your friend's arm. Take some measurements of their arm at relevant places (for me about 2/3rds up my arm from the wrist, the elbow, and where I'd want the gauntlet to stop on my upper arm, it depends on their arm shape though) and also measure how far up (or down) their arm the measurements are taken. Then you can use your row gauge to figure out how many rows you need at each of those points and work out your short row wedges from there.

The Sidewinder Sock pattern might help since it has short rows in the leg portion to widen the top of the sock for the calf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008 10:09:02 AM »

im just making these right now (well i just need to stitch up the second one) and on my very frist try i was reading the instructions wrong and i was adding short rows on the other end of the mitt (where the forearm area is) i then realized im dumb and ripped out and made them correctly... (but i did notice how it made them bigger, big enough to fit around my upper fore arm area)

but as for your problem i would probably just provisionally cast on more sts so that they are long enough and then everywhere it says to do the short row for the palm i would do one on the opposite end as well (put a marker 24 sts down on the other end too or whatever you think would work)

well, thats what i would do anyways...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
HandsyMalone

Also answers to Leroy...long story

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008 01:26:15 PM »

What might help you is the fact that the current trend in these is for them to be on the baggy end of things.  You could make the entire thing wide enough to go around her upper arm and be snug.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
American Made: Mountain Boy Sledworks
How to Make Felt Design Displays
Homemade Cards for the Holidays with Martha Stewart
Holiday Food Packaging with Martha Stewart
How to Make a Ribbon Christmas Tree
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...