A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,859
Currently Running With Scissors:
837 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with the gauge!  (Read 370 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmeliaB555
« on: April 14, 2008 02:46:59 PM »

Ive been knitting for about 2 years and know all of the basics. Since Ill be attending the Knitters Connection in Columbus I figured I better have a knitted piece of clothing to wear. So I went to the LYS and bought Blue Sky Alpacas Dyed Cotton in Sky, the April issue of Knit n Style, and size 8 circs to begin my first sweater the:

Cropped Raglan Cardi

http://www.knitnstyle.com/issues/apr08_gallery.shtml

The gauge for the pattern is 18 sts by 24 rows= 4 in St st with size 8 needles. The gauge for my yarn is 4-5 stitches per inch on size 7-9 needles. I did my gauge swatch after washing and drying my gauge was 16 sts by 24 rows= 4 in St st with size 8 needles. My question is this what will this do to my sweater? Should I invest in size 7 circs or could I make the size down or up to even out the problem?

Thank you for any advice/tips!

Amelia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come see my Etsy Store!

www.ameliadesign.et sy.com

Or my blog!

www.ameliab.blogspo t.com
sassy-pants
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008 03:30:35 PM »

Its a lot easier to make something longer than wider.  I'd say invest in the size 7s (or an interchangeable set, how I love mine!).  Stitch gauge is crucial to making it fit, row gauge can be fudged a little bit. 

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Visit my blog to keep up on all of the crafting, cooking, and craziness that goes on!
whistlepig
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008 11:09:21 AM »

Hi,

I agree with the first post--invest in the size 7 circulars to try and get the right gauge. 

One other thing to consider:  did you do your guage swatch in the round or just knitting back and forth?  I've always found this very awkward to do, and have thus really struggled to get an accurate gauge swatch when doing projects in the round.  Usually, your gauge will be slightly "tighter" when knitting in the round then when knitting on straight needles (purling tends to loosen it up a bit and if you're doing stockinette in the round there's no purling).  Just something to consider.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmeliaB555
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008 04:41:32 PM »

Well the pattern is knitted on circs because of the amount of circles but you don't actually knit in the round.  I did knit my swatch on size 8 circs though since that is what I was going to knit the sweater on. Smiley

Amelia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come see my Etsy Store!

www.ameliadesign.et sy.com

Or my blog!

www.ameliab.blogspo t.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Filipino Cascaron Bitsu Bitsu Carioca Recipe
Cookie Dough Bite Recipe
Chewy Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe
Chocolate-Dipped Biscotti Recipe
Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...