A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 3/28/2008  (Read 4690 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jazzturtle
Every breath is Healing...

Life is better with jazz!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2008 05:12:37 AM »

Happy Friday Everyone!!

I have a bunch this week..  I was in snowy MN last week and when I got home I just dove into my stash and spun spun spun!  I went thru such withdrawal when I was gone!!

My first this week comes from a Spontaneous Spinning batt by Loop.
It's suri alpaca, bamboo, merino, mohair and TONS of glitz!!  It's spun thick and thin plied with a metallic silver thread and beehives.
Carolina On my Mind
63 yards

The next is really fun.  It's for the April EtsyFAST challenge, which is Storms, as well as the FF Ravelry last week, which was Rainforest.  I spun this from loose Shetland lambie locks dyed by HollyEQQ.   It's called Tropical Storms.  It's amazing bright greens and blues and fuscias..  The blue sky right after it storms.. and fuscias like the bold flowers in the rainforest.. I added some angelina for sparkle.. like the raindrops still sparkling on the green foilage and the beautiful flowers.  I love how it turned out.  There's also an amazing halo around this yarn.. which I wasn't able to catch really well..
103 yards

The next one turned out way better than I had ever hoped.  It's a real mix of stuff I had.. some different shades of pink locks from ArtClub and TerraBellaSpun, Some Black and Grey locks from ArtClub, a couple of scrap batts from Art club and black and steel angelina for sparkle..all plied around back rayon  thread with coils and beehives and some pink irridecent pom poms (10 1/2inch poms, and 4 1inch poms)..   
Pop Princess
43 yards

This is my first attempt at Candy Striping.. carrying a wrapping thread along with the single.  It's spun thick and thin with coils and curls spun into the single and wrapped with a metalliac blue thread..    Also a part of the EtsyFAST April Challenge..
Stormy Skies  (because of the shades of blue and the blue thread like a cyclone cloud.. and purple angelina hints like when the sky turns purple when lightening flashes)

Finally this is called Hodge Podge.  It's a base of superwash merino with Tons of other stuff thrown in for fun.. locks, sari silk, sequins, angelina.  It's spun thick thin for lots of texture. 
90.25 yards

All photos were taken before twist is set (except tropical storms) so yarn is a bit kinkier than it will be Smiley

YAY it's friday.. and it's NOT snowing here!!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008 05:46:19 AM by jazzturtle - Reason: add photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop-  Lots of Handspun yarn and Fun Fiber Batts!
http://Jazzturtle.etsy.com

Ravelry Group:
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/jazzturtle-creates

Flickr photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jazzturtle/

My thoughts and processes..
http://jazzturtlecreations.blogspot.com
PurpleHeather
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008 06:08:40 AM »

Wow - all your yarns are gorgeous.  As I scrolled, I thought that each was the best, and then the next one came along.  I think I love Pop Princess & Carolina on my Mind most, but don't tell the others Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008 06:21:48 AM »

Wow, they are all spectacular!
Really beautiful.......... ......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
Impshlady

I wish i had eight arms...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008 06:36:46 AM »

Happy Fibre Friday everyone!
jazzturtle those yarns made me drool all over the keyboard, they are stunning!

I got some carding/combing done while watching Lost Boys the other night on video (yes video and it had all the 80's ads on...hilarious) And i just brushed and spun until all my stash of Cotswold fleece was gone. It was lovely to spin because the fibres are so long it practically drafts itself. I have left it undyed and spun it as thin as i possibly can so I can maybe ply it on itself once its dyed. Hopefully this will make lovely stripy yarn!

I haven't worked out the yardage yet, but it was two full bobbins , so its the biggest single skein I've spun so far. Maybe I can make a whole item out of it at the end! Wink

can't wait to see what everyone has spun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinFish
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008 06:46:55 AM »

Oh my goodness, I love everything- especially tropical storm, the colors are amazing!  I have nothing complete this week, but hopefully now that all that knitting is done, I'll have more spinning time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ekioart
Queen of Procrastination

Working on it....No Really, I am......sorta

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008 07:16:39 AM »

Jazzturtle, I just want to dive into your yarn and fiber stash. ^=^ So pretty.........

I had a fun spinning week. I let my boys dye some roving with the last of the easter egg dye, they had a blast with it and I had fun watching them.
Heres the roving.

And then heres the yarn from it. I can't wait to have my MIL make me something out of it. he he.

Then I started some more scrap yarn. Two skiens of blue and white fabric that I hope to make into bowls.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm bringing sexy back, I think I dropped it somewhere between the donut shop and the Cheesecake Factory.

My etsy shop
http://Ekioart.etsy.com
My Wists!
http://www.wists.com/Ekioart
I blather on about stuff here.
http://ekioart.blogspot.com/
Flowers and Lemons
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008 07:30:41 AM »

Jazzturtle, your yarn is divine, as allways. And I'm very curious about those fabric bowls!
This time, I have some yarn to show as well, and I think I like it very much. The plying didn't went great, the single started to break! So I plied it very tight.
This is the end result;

I guess I'm still learning.
How do you do that, plying a single with itself? Do you measure how long it is and cut it in half?

And I bought some wonderful roving from Cheryl's etsy shop, that will become my first spinning that is actually sufficient to do something nice with  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blue_Frog
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008 08:21:07 AM »

I've loved looking through all the Fibre Fridays, and i always love what people come up with - so much prettyness and creativity in one place!  Cheesy

Heres my first entry to a Fibre Friday.  I have no idea of a name, so its just called "It's Purple!"

THIS ROCKS   Logged
luxx

Used to be one of the rotten ones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008 08:30:59 AM »

Hey all,

My first yarn this week I spun from raw locks and some carded locks that I bought from angorabunny@etsy. The colours are pretty vibrant. This yarn was a first for me as I had never spun locks. It took me alot longer to spin, but I like how it turned out.

Wild Child - 55 Yards - BFL, Mohair, Angora goat, alpaca

Next up is still on the bobbin. I dyed up some fiber in blues and greys and left some white and threw it into my carder with some silver and blue glitz. It's merieno, targhee, and silk. I'm going to ply it back on itself. Should look good when done.

See you all next week
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tweet me!
luxfish on twitter
I'm drinking water through my eyes, it's a trick I learned
www.luxfish.etsy.co m
Chillin' so hard my ass almost froze off
inle_rah
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008 09:33:00 AM »

Great yarns this week, everyone!  I really love Stormy Skies and It's Purple.

I only have one to share this week, called Starlight:

Started with the same grey single that I used for "Morning Magic" a few weeks ago (I have no idea why I spun so much of that to begin with), and plied it with a metallic filament in shades of turquoise and gold, with a hint of pink.  Came in at 3 oz, 343 yards, 13/14 wpi (fingering weight).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Revolutionary Art in Cuba Since 1867
What Is Pysanky Ukrainian Art
The History of Cuban Art - Part 1/2
Karel Funk - Artist Profile
David Altmejd Profile
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...