Hello again all!
We've just kicked off to a whole new year of Theatre Costume at my college and as a second year student, our class has started our major project piece, which is to be completed by August, in time for our annual showcase.
Our theme this year is to make costumes for one of the scenes in the opera La Traviata, to be set in 1857 and we are to make evening gowns (yay!)
As I go by in the next few months, I thought I might post pictures of the completed costume pieces for all to see.
So we have done our research, and my teacher has approved this design, which I found in the book by Pepin Press "Fashion Design, 1850-1895"
This bodice, with the skirt below
I've finished my hoop skirt, which is on the bottom layer, and a petticoat goes over the top. There's 21metres of crinoline wire (enamel coated sprung steel) which cost me $95AU, about 3.5m white cotton drill, and 25m of white cotton tape, which was $7. The petticoat is actually white, but there was a storm coming, and the light wasn't so great.
The petticoat will be up next, made from 20m of stiff taffeta, at $10.90AU a metre. I've almost finished it, so it shouldn't be too long!Update 29/05/08
Finally, here is the petticoat!
I finished it a fair while ago, but haven't had the opportunity to take and upload some pics!
As you can see the bottom layers are closer together than the top, this is because they have one 11cm tuck between each of them. This is so I can use this petticoat in the future on someone of a different height and just unpick the tucks and resew them rather than making a whole new petticoat.
Next update should be the skirt and peplum!Update 27/11/08
Oh dear! I realise it has been over 6 months since I last posted for this project! It was finished in August, but I have been waiting patiently for my college to give us a copy of the professional photos taken at our annual show.