A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY tailor's dummy  (Read 31649 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mandalu
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2004 08:46:36 PM »

has anyone tried plaster ( like the rolls used for casts)?  I wonder if you have to prep the skin so the plaster doesn't stick to the little hairs?  I wonder if this would work......

When I was in fifth grade, we made masks out of plaster of paris, and we had to put a lot of vaseline near the hairline so it wouldn't get stuck in the plaster. Maybe that would work?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lexilicious
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2004 10:19:56 PM »

sweet, i want one. it is a pain to keep trying on half finished clothes, and to pin em and try to get em off again, all without poking yourself. maybe next time i have crafty friends over we can have a lil maniquen making party!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JenRed
Smartypants

I wish I could defrag my brain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2004 06:03:25 AM »

I have never done this but I have heard of it before - mostly involving warnings!  Apparently some people used some kind of expanding foam spray for the inside after doing the taping and there are stories of the DIY dress form exploding all over the place after a few days of quietly and slowly expanding and expanding...

So use the foam rubber I guess.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RED INSTEAD handmade - handcrafted bags, clothing, cards, jewellery, art and textiles

RED INSTEAD blog - my arty / crafty blog
SpektrumFemme
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2004 05:05:30 PM »

i'm preparing to make one and i was wondering...how would plaster work ( you kno the kind that comes on the gauze sheets)? has anyone tried that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

6Kolors R Bettah than NoNe
chikki sixx
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2004 08:52:09 AM »

the first one i made (of my husband) I used masking tape and after i stuffed it with newspaper all the tape started to peel off!  I had to go over the whole thing with duct tape, but now it's super strong.  I also suggest making sure you do the neck, my husband started to have a panic attack so I had to cut it off before I got to the neck.  I also had problems under the arms.  What posiyion should the person have their arms in?  they have to hold them up a bit so you can get under the arms but their arms get tired and when they put them down the mold gets warped a bit.  suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honey89
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2004 06:34:57 PM »

Oh wow that is an awsome idea! i have been looking everywhere to find a tutorial on how to make one of these, thnx!! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Party-Bots
Robots Are Fun

How to be awesome..... Partybots.org

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2004 03:32:32 PM »

where does one go to get foam rubber?

I'm way exicited to do this little project!

Karl Addison
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006 03:58:57 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fulfill Your Inner Robot
WildSnowflake
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2004 12:04:26 PM »

hmmm... if you used saranwrap as the base and paper tape like someone suggested... how cool would this be as an accent lamp? Just slip it over a $5 lamp that doesn't have a shade and make sure it doesn't touch the plastic.

hmmm... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2004 02:54:33 PM »

I used this same technique to make a suit of armour for a play I was working on --- over the old t-shirt, we used about 3 rolls of duct tape. I cut out pieces of cereal boxes (again, covered in duct tape) and applied them to the shirt to give the effect of a breastplate (with pectoral definition!) and plate mail on the shoulders. I decorated the whole thing with shiny aluminum tape as an extra detail. Up close, it was obviously tape, but audience members apparently didn't realize it wasn't real armour! The duct tape version had the advantage of being fastened with velcro (for quick changes) and being quiet and light enough to move around in backstage. When I can get my scanner working, I'll post some pictures...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
JanelleLaBelle

I'm a lovable dork!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2004 09:42:57 AM »

I can't wait to see it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreams come true, not free...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Patriotic Picnic Basket Ideas for the 4th of July
Zingy Lemon Cake Recipe
How to Make a Hot Turkey Sandwich with Teriyaki Mushrooms
How to Make Perfect Baked Eggs
How to Make Turkey Chili
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...