A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,773
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY tailor's dummy  (Read 33707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2004 12:25:49 PM »

This is just great!  Thank you so much for posting Smiley 
I'm not a sewer, but the possibilities from an art point of view are endless!  Baby #2 due in March, so maybe I'll wait til say Feb when I really look like a whale and then do this, that would make a great sculpture.  Or lots of arms/legs to stick on walls to hang things from?
(Gurlzcanrock2 did a fab one of these - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=13641.0 )

I'm inspired!  The human form is a beautiful thing - vintage clothes would look good but I think I'd just want a  plain white one for loveliness  Smiley

Not enough is being done for the apathetic

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2004 06:59:30 AM »

Had an idea to do this tailor's dummy, did it, then later saw the post here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=3735.0

* Alot of masking or duct tape (bout 2 rolls)
* Scissors
* Short-sleeved t-shirt that goes to your knees
* Stuffing (i used 2 old pillows, newspaper, scraps of fabric)
* Cling film (if necessary)

Didn't read all of that post, but it basically went like this.

1. I put a long t-shirt on (you can also wrap yourself in cling-film before you start the masking/duct tape)

2. Put on a booster-bra if you like, especially if you're kind of flat.. some shape might be lost if you don't wrap yourself tightly enough.

3. Depending on how much of a dummy you want, you can start at your thighs, hips or waist.

I started wrapping at the thighs.

4. My mother started at the bottom (thighs), and wrapped semi-tightly all the way to my waist.  At some point you might want to change directions of which way you wrap, but it doesn't really matter.

This will take about 20 minutes.

5. The next layer should be a little bit tighter, and so on.  Do as many layers as you want (depending on how durable you want it to be)  I found that 3-4 was sufficient.

6. When you get to the arms, it's your choice if you want to wrap these or not.  I decided not to.  If you do want to wrap them, put some clingfilm on them if your shirt arms aren't long enough.

7. That is basically IT!  Try not to move around alot.  Cut right up the back OR front in a straight line from the bottom upwards and as you cut you should feel the long tshirt + masking tape gradually become looser, then it should fall right off.  (or wiggle out of it!)

8. After that, put it on a wooden hanger, tape something to the bottom of it (a plastic bag works fine) so the stuffing doesn't fall out.

9. For my first one, I used stuffing from two old pillows, a bit of left-over fabric and some newspaper.. but it's entirely up to you and what you prefer, or what you would think is best.

It should look like this once it's off and stuffed a little bit with the pillow stuffing

You can add more tape to make it smoother, or pin fabric onto it.

That's it!  I don't think I missed anything, but if anybody else has any tips then please share!

finished front (with a skirt i made) :
finished back:

Oh yeah, don't forget to name your dummy.  I named mine Oweena.  In memory of the boyfriend (Owen) that is off studying far away..  Cry

peace and love
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004 11:00:36 AM by meggywegsontoast » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2004 01:26:53 PM »

Nice dress form. I LOVE that skirt!

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2004 06:24:44 PM »

great pictures, great outfit, great form!
now i want to make one! maybe it will motivate me to make clothes....  Grin

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
bitch extraordinare

eccentric - a.k.a. crazy in a fun way

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2004 08:05:40 AM »

What an awesome thread. I wonder if I can do this to my leg and make a lamp.

fra-gee-lay Cool

hahahhahahahahahahah that's so great. christmas story Smiley i <3 it

ohoh i made a dummy for my prom dress by taking a corset that fiits me perfectly, and putting it aronud a pillow so that the pillow and corset were the same shape as me around the bust and waist!!! i could stick pins in wherever i wanted because it was like a gian me-shaped pin cushion, and if i ever get fatter or skinnier, i can put the corset on again, lace it up looser or tighter, and it will still fit!

the only abstinence you should teach.. is to abstain from voting for Sarah Palin.

going down the levi's stairs

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2004 08:35:55 PM »

wow!! i'm so compelled to make on now!

words are flying out like endless rain into a paper cup....

Crafty? Maybe. I guess I like to make my own stuff

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2004 10:24:03 PM »

Sweet! I am making one tomorrow with a friend. I think this is an awesome idea.

"Name me a handful that's ridiculous, Dannie Richmond.
Faubus, Rockefeller, Eisenhower
Why are they so sick and ridiculous?"

I <3 pocky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2004 11:43:05 AM »

thank you for the instructions and awesome idea ^^! i had my cousin wrap me in duct tape last night and i just finished stuffing ..myself? lol. it turned out awesome, the only problem i had is that we wrapped my boobs a bit too tight, so now my dummy has to wear a padded bra...seriously..my boobs aren't squashy and lopsided  Roll Eyes.

Thank you meggywegs!!
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2004 02:14:26 PM »

Hey, I took one of my friends and COVERED her in plastic wrap! I then bought wallpaper glue/paste, and ripped up pieces of paper and started just sticking pieces of paper all over! It turned out great! The walpaper past gets really hard when it drys. I then cut it off of her and walla! Tongue It's Done! Roll Eyes
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2004 02:47:18 PM »

I'm making a dressform/dressmaker's dummy right now out of plaster strips (ever since I used it for an art project, I've been semi-addicted to it. If only I could find more things to do with it!).
Actually, I started it a few weeks ago and haven't gotten around to finishing it.  I made the front in two pieces (chest and stomach), but I took off the stomach part too soon and the piece has widened, so I have to make another one.  I haven't done the back yet because I need my mom to help me with that.  You can't really expect plaster strips to stay in the position you want them to if you have to move around to apply them.
Once I have all the pieces, I'll reinforce them by adding another layer or two to the inside and then I'll plaster them all together.  I'm super excited about it.  It will be so much easier to sew awesome clothes!
 (by the way...this is my first post, though I've been looking at all the awesome things all of you make for a while...)

I love it here!!!!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Ultimate DIY Pedicure
15 Genius Eyeliner Hacks Every Woman Needs to Know
Best Drugstore Skincare Products
VF COLLECTIONS: Carven - Fall 2015 - Paris Fashion Week - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
VF NEWS: Marni - Fall 2015 - Milan Fashion Week - Backstage, Runway, & Interviews
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...