A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,799
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY tailor's dummy  (Read 31345 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CircusManager220
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2004 03:16:38 PM »

This is PERFECT for my English project! I needed a mannequin type thing. Thanks a ton for posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Washable
naomibat
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2004 01:26:17 PM »

i juat want to let you know that yours is very nice and when i tried to do it it didn't work out very well.
my advice to anyone who wants to try it would be:
-get some one else to put all the tape on
-make sure you have lots of tape!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chikki sixx
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2004 04:04:21 PM »

has anyone tried plaster ( like the rolls used for casts)?  I wonder if you have to prep the skin so the plaster doesn't stick to the little hairs?  I wonder if this would work......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinderemma
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2004 10:17:39 AM »

I made one of these over the weekend out of duct tape. (I used about two rolls) Mine is stuffed with newspaper, (Much cheaper) but it looks really good.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shade_n_shadow
The Jones.

teh knowledge- it fills me- IT IS NEAT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2004 04:32:52 PM »

has anyone tried plaster ( like the rolls used for casts)?  I wonder if you have to prep the skin so the plaster doesn't stick to the little hairs?  I wonder if this would work......

you'd have to protect your skin (the knit fabric like they use when they put a cast on a limb) but.... how the heck would you get it off??? I've had my share of casted broken bones, they had to use a special saw to get them off ....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy -Ben Franklin~~~
~~~Everytime I get with the program, somone changes the damn channel!~~~
~~~on one of those speech-to-text programs my friend ripped ass onto the mic.and it typed out "France"~~~
chikki sixx
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2004 04:55:52 PM »

haha I hadn't thought of that.  I guess I figured you could cut it off if it wasn't too thick.  That probobly wouldn't work though.  I hope nobody tried this and got trapped!  ooops haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chikki sixx
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2004 04:58:07 PM »

I like the newspaper idea.  Mine's sitting here waiting to get stuffed.  did you just crumple up  sheets and stuff em in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jason
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2004 02:48:22 PM »

It's fairly easy to get a full plaster cast of your torso if you follow these guidelines:

-have a buddy help you with this one. the results really aren't so hot when you try to do it yourself.
-cast your body in two halves, front and back. after each cast has dried, they can easily be fused together with additional plaster. remember that the plaster will set, so be sure to apply it in sections that be easily removed.
-it's a pretty good idea to put something like vaseline between your skin and the plaster as protection. using plastic will cause the plaster to dry more slowly, and you'll have to wear it for a while longer.

if you're thinking of doing this project, shop around medical supply stores for plaster strips. their prices are far more reasonable than craft and hobby stores, and since the plaster found at medical supply stores is intended for body casting, it will work a lot better.

I hope that this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluehairedmary

Craft or Be Crafted!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2004 06:47:11 PM »

you could do some plaster of paris on the taped up dummy, to give it more sturdiness.  And more paintability.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tracey
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2004 07:50:18 PM »

I've done a full body one for a Halloween prop! It was my zombie/monster type guy! It worked really well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love your ememies..... It will drive them nuts!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Quick Cheesecake From Scratch
How to Make a Brownie à La Mode
Vegan Chocolate Avocado Pudding Recipe
How to Make Patriotic Cupcakes
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Walnut Bread Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...