A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial Pg 3: Kid's Purse, Crayon Roll & Doll Blanket (Lots Pics)  (Read 53556 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SewFixated
« on: March 27, 2008 04:04:20 PM »

This is my FIRST post with my own subject!

My 2 year old DD was invited to her first birthday party.  I am so excited!   

The first picture shows the gifts wrapped.

I didn't want to risk duplicating a Princess themed birthday gift so I decided to make my own. I had enough fabric in my stash to make something really cute. My DD watched me the entire time as I was making this gift and has become attached to it. I have been explaining to her that she is giving it to Alexis for her birthday. We'll see how she reacts when she actually gives it to Alexis! I didn't want to buy more wrapping paper so I made my own out of fabric. The Happy 3rd Birthday label is stitched onto the lower backside of the wrapping paper.  With the birthday card put right on the blanket/wrapping paper, Alexis will always remember how old she was when she received the gift and who gave it to her.  A nice added touch IMO.

When you open the gift you see that the wrapping paper is really a doll blanket. I used the birthday invitation as a template to make the crown and then decorated it with button jewels. I really like the fabric that I used. I will have to buy more because I don't have enough to make these things for DD and I don't want to disappoint her (or me!) The size of the doll blanket is the size of a fat quarter. I cut the material into thirds and sewed the strips together. I appliqued the crown and monogrammed A onto the blanket with my sewing machine and then attached the buttons and pom-pom fringe.

Inside the doll blanket wrapping paper there is a crown-topped purse and a crayon roll. I found the pattern for the crayon roll here http://skiptomylou.wordpress.com/2007/04/25/on-a-roll/.
Thank you to Cindy at Skip to My Lou for the wonderful tutorial. It is very easy to make and you can use your scraps. I do plan on making these crayon rolls for my two little nieces (shhh) for Christmas. The crown-topped purse was my design (no pattern) and it was very easy to make. The sides of the purse have striped fabric, the bottom is the same dragonfly pattern as the pink but it's in purple, the handles are made from the same striped fabric as on the sides.

This is the backside of the purse. I thought about adding pockets or an applique of a princess but I don't have enough time. This is the cute crayon roll which holds 16 crayons. When I make one for DD and my nieces I am going to include a pocket to hold a small notebook.

The purse is held closed with a snap at the center crown point. Can I tell you how difficult it is to sew a snap and a large button on the same spot? I hope I secured the buttons well enough. The inside of the purse is lined with purple dragonfly fabric. The top of the crown is decorated with a flower design from my sewing machine. My machine was giving me grief as I was making this. I didn't know if it was going to give up the ghost before I finished this birthday gift. Somehow, I made it through. I had to unpick a lot of the flower stitches because the machine created loops under the fabric. How I loathe unpicking, especially little flower stitches. It's still not perfect, but finished is better than perfect.

Thanks for looking!  I would love to hear your comments.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008 12:00:17 AM by SewFixated » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

My Wists
kiewiet
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008 03:13:57 AM »

brilliant! She is going to enjoy using that so much. You did a lovely job on the decorations, I am quite envious of Alexis  Wink I love the wrapping idea too, so much better than paper you throw away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TryEverything
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008 04:45:48 AM »

Wow this is stunning
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008 05:35:30 AM »

What a lucky girl!  Gorgeous stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scary_mary
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008 05:41:48 AM »

Great gifts!

I love the idea of doll blanket / wrapping paper - I think I will do that for my niece!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008 05:47:43 AM »

WOW  you are  very  creative  love the  entire package.  great  job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Ladybug-Gal
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008 07:50:51 AM »

Love both of your gift items.  You should really think about do a tutorial for the purse.  It is really cute!!! I would love to have a tutorial for that!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ L ~
SewFixated
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008 09:47:34 PM »

I've never made a tutorial before but I'll see what I can do.  Thanks for all the positive feedback.  I am excited about this gift. The birthday party is tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

My Wists
RecipeCard

I am a "girly girl" who likes the great outdoors!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008 10:58:18 PM »

LOVE LOVE LOVE this.  The crown shaped top on the purse is sooo cool!!!  I have made crayon rolls, too, but they never look quite right Huh...

Great job on all of your pieces!  I know the Birthday Girl will enjoy them!!!

-Stacy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psoupdesigns
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008 09:37:51 AM »

You are very talented and I love the wrapping paper blanket idea, so cute!

You should join the kid swap-
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=234166.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Astrodoll
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008 09:49:19 AM »

I wish your daughter had come to my bdays when I was younger Wink That is the cutest little set!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetdandies
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008 11:28:14 AM »

This is a great creative gift. I'm going to have to make some crayon rolls for my little cousins. In my opinion, doll blankets go over really well with little girls. My little cousin loved hers!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap friendly!!

Buy Handmade
www.sweetdandies.etsy.com

www.wists.com/sweetdandies
SewFixated
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008 04:34:57 PM »

You are very talented and I love the wrapping paper blanket idea, so cute!

You should join the kid swap-
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=234166.0

That swap sounds really fun.  I would have made this exact gift for that swap.  Unfortunately the sign-ups end long before my one month anniversary, which is April 20.  I have seen several swaps that I would have joined but oh well.  April 20th shall come one day! 

I hope to be able to make a tutorial later this week if all goes well in my household.

When we went to church today we saw the little girl who received the gift.  She had her purse and crayon roll and looked very pleased.  The gift was a big hit at the party.  (I spent the least amount of money on my gift, it was all part of my stash.)  It feels good, to me, to make a gift for someone that they will really like and hopefully keep forever.  IMO it's much better than another Elmo that talks and moves. Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008 04:53:43 PM by SewFixated » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
psoupdesigns
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008 06:26:07 PM »

i agree, store bought stuff is not as much fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kyraji
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008 08:44:38 PM »

Wow, that's so colorful! I love the little details you put into the design. And hah, that crayon roll looks like it must've been fun to make.

Love that dragonfly fabric, love love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Animal Crossing Wild World Crafting addict :3
JennasMommy
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008 05:42:39 AM »

Great job on everything! I have the same crayon roll tutorial saved on my computer for when DD (15 months) is old enough to color. I rather give( and recieve) a homemade gift over a store bought one anytime! Keep up the great work!1

Mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsc
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008 01:26:36 PM »

I love this bag! It is soooo cute and a great gift idea. I'm really liking the crayon cozie. Great first post.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008 01:28:33 PM by mrsc » THIS ROCKS   Logged

And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands...Exodus 35:25
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
http://gollyholly.etsy.com
yonorris14
I love to hear my sewing machine hummmm

Inherited the crafting curse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008 05:50:31 AM »

what a sweet idea!  i love when my kids receive handmade, PRACTICAL gifts that they'll use and reflect their personality.  i hope she enjoyed the gift you made her!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Inspiration exists, it just has to find you working." - Picasso

www.abernathycrafts.com
thrueyessoma
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008 01:18:28 PM »

i am IN LOVE with this!!! i am going to try to make these for my little nieces who both LOVE purses and would DIE and go to heaven if they had one of these, especially my niece whose name starts with A and would probably turn into an "i want i want i want!!!" monster if she saw these pictures!

this is brilliant, you did such a beautiful, wonderful, fantastic, amazing job. (i could go on with the words but i'll leave it at that).

do you happen to have a tutorial for any part of this project? or are you planning on making one? the little girls and myself would be eternally grateful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewFixated
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008 12:45:18 AM »

i am IN LOVE with this!!! i am going to try to make these for my little nieces who both LOVE purses and would DIE and go to heaven if they had one of these, especially my niece whose name starts with A and would probably turn into an "i want i want i want!!!" monster if she saw these pictures!

this is brilliant, you did such a beautiful, wonderful, fantastic, amazing job. (i could go on with the words but i'll leave it at that).

do you happen to have a tutorial for any part of this project? or are you planning on making one? the little girls and myself would be eternally grateful!!

This week was hectic for me but it's almost over.  I should have some time tomorrow to make a tutorial.  I have to make a gift for a little cousin's birthday party anyway. 

Thank you for all your kind words.   I do love the colorful dragonfly fabric and the crayon roll tutorial that I used was excellent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
maezen
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008 01:45:25 AM »

I love this too.. I don't have any kids but it would be a perfect gift for my niece  Wink

You're very talented and creative, must run in the family.   Grin

Emily
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal supply swaps.  I have tons of fabric and scrapbooking supplies. I am interested in sewing notions and trim, especially any heirloom sewing supplies.  If anyone wants to trade a smocker/pleater for fabric or scrapbook stuff, I'm in! I'll also trade for things on my wist.
SewFixated
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008 11:58:53 PM »

I made another bag today but did not do the applique since I was making it for my cousin's birthday party which was tonight.  I hope my instructions will be easily understood and if they are not, let me know! This bag is really quite easy to make and can be adjusted many different ways.  If you make one I'd LOVE to see your results!  It's 1:00 AM.  I'm going to bed and will finish this tomorrow.    It's done!

All seams are 1/4".  The sizes indicated above include the seam allowance.

All the cutting instructions are listed in the picture above.  Choose your fabric according to what you like. 

Step 1   Cut your fabric.

***  When you cut the crown tops I would make the pattern on a piece of paper first and draw the shape of the crown.  The smaller you make the crown points the less you will see the points once it's finished.  I did make sure the side crown points (A) matched up with the front crown points on (B).

With the shoulder strap you can make it any width and length you want, keeping in mind that about 3" total will be lost after sewing it into the crown seam.

Step 2   Sew (A) and (C) together.  Press all the seams while making this purse. 

Step 3   Sew (B) and (D) together.  Press seams.  Sew (BD) unit to bottom (E).  Press seams.

Step 4   Sew 2 side panel (AC) units to the front panel (BDE) unit which does NOT have the bottom (E) sewn to it.  Press seams.  You will now have 1 panel with 2 sides sewn to it.

Step 5   Sew all four sides of the bag together STOPPING 1/4" before you get to the bottom so you can attach the bottom (E) piece to the (C) and (D) pieces.  Press seams.  ~I hope that is understandable.~

Step 6   Attach the bottom (E) to the bag making sure each corner is sewn together all the way.  I had to go over each corner once again just to make sure.

Step 7   Turn your outer bag with the outside showing.  Sew your pom-pom fringe over the seam of the bottom part of the crown all the way around the purse.  Fold the ends of the fringe over so it doesn't fray.

Step 9   Once you have the outer bag and bag lining made you will put them together with the right sides facing each other.  Pin the crown points in place.  I added the red dots on the sides of the purse to show where your beginning and stopping points are when you sew the lining to the outer bag.  (There needs to be an opening to turn the bag right side out and then you will also attach the shoulder strap in those open areas.)  Sew the two bag pieces together following the crown points all the way across the front of the bag, beginning and stopping at the red dots.  Do the same for the back of the bag.  Once again, leave the sides open for turning and attaching the shoulder strap.  Clip the downward and upward points to make it easier to turn and reduce on bulk.

Step 10   Turn your bag right side out and put to the side.  Place your pom-pom fringe on the front side of the shoulder strap (F).  With the pom-pom fringe pointing towards the center of the strap, fold the shoulder strap over the fringe.  Pin the fringe in place making sure the long strip piece (sorry, don't know what it's called) is at the seam and sew the entire length of the shoulder strap.

Put a large diaper pin at the end of the shoulder strap and push the diaper pin through the inside of the strap turning it right side out.  Take the diaper pin off and press the shoulder strap.

Step 11   With the purse facing right side out, press the crown points, all the way around the bag, turning the seam allowance under on the Side Crown Points (A).

Pin the shoulder strap in the seams of the Side Crown Points (A). 

Sew a decorative stitch all the way around the top of the crown points.  This will help stiffen the very top of the crown points and will sew the shoulder strap in place.

Step 12   Attach your buttons to each crown points for the crown jewels.  Sew your snap or Velcro to the inside of the center crown point on both sides of the purse.

You're finished!  It's that easy.  If I did not explain any part of this pattern very well please PM me and I'll try to fix it.  Thanks for all your kind words and I would LOVE to see the purses you made with all your improvements and embellishments! Grin

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008 11:42:12 AM by SewFixated » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
Doodleabby
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008 05:18:11 PM »

This is such a nice gift!  You did a great job!  i used this tutorial for my 4 YO DD's Valentine card.  I made 16 of these with all of the kids names on them.  The part that i didn't like was having to be gender neutral on the colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happy Thoughts and Warm Hugs!
Bonnie

http://doodlebuggys.blogspot.com
giusypatch
Giusypatch

Giusypatch -- Italian Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008 02:54:06 AM »

That's so cute! You did a great job with the bag and the pencil roll.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Giusypatch
----------------------------------
http://giusypatch.etsy.com (My Etsy Shop)
http://lecoccole.blogspot.com  (my blog)
doo_leroux
Cross Stitch Diva

Heya!

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008 05:41:53 AM »

I'm totally making this for a swap I'm in.....I'll post pics here when I'm done if you want. I have till the end of the month though...so....yeah.

Thanks for the excellent tutorial!!!

I suck at sewing and still don't understand the tech speak so pics help IMMENSELY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big project Stitchalong 2009 - Ongoing
Tea Towel Tour 5 - In Progress
SewFixated
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008 12:31:12 PM »

I'm totally making this for a swap I'm in.....I'll post pics here when I'm done if you want. I have till the end of the month though...so....yeah.

I suck at sewing and still don't understand the tech speak so pics help IMMENSELY!

I would love to see your design! 

A friend of a friend asked me to make 6 of these purses for her but she choked when I told her it would $15 a bag.  Needless to say, she is not going to have me make them.  The supplies cost me about $9 to make the second bag.  It takes me about 3 hours to make the purse so that's $2.00 an hour.  Talk about cheap labor!  I was a little irritated by the way she smirked at the price.  Oh well.  She could make them herself if she was diligent enough to do it!

I looked for more cute fabric remnants today to make a set for my DD but nothing was cute enough.  I'll have to try again later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
doo_leroux
Cross Stitch Diva

Heya!

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008 01:08:19 PM »

I don't really have the best fabric either right now. My budget is OOBER tight lately so I need to use what I have.....which isn't really the best for a little girl. And I don't think I'll have clips or snaps.......I'm not that good yet!!!!

$15 is awesome for that!!!!!!! I had to pay that much for a yard of the fabric I got. Ppl who don't craft think things can be thrown together in no time for no money which is SO NOT the case. I feel your pain hon!

3 hours! This will take me 3 weeks! Crap I just noticed those adorable buttons! I need to go find some in my colours! Such great details!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008 01:09:23 PM by doo_leroux » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jw3280
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008 05:39:32 PM »

Thank you for the tutorial, it is so cute!
$15 is a real bargain! but I know how it is, it would be the same way here with prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doo_leroux
Cross Stitch Diva

Heya!

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008 05:12:33 AM »

I finished my bag! Thanks so much for the tut!!! I'll post pics once my partner receivess it!  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maezen
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008 08:26:42 PM »

I would love to see your design! 

A friend of a friend asked me to make 6 of these purses for her but she choked when I told her it would $15 a bag.  Needless to say, she is not going to have me make them.  The supplies cost me about $9 to make the second bag.  It takes me about 3 hours to make the purse so that's $2.00 an hour.  Talk about cheap labor!  I was a little irritated by the way she smirked at the price.  Oh well.  She could make them herself if she was diligent enough to do it!

I looked for more cute fabric remnants today to make a set for my DD but nothing was cute enough.  I'll have to try again later.

That's because nothing is as cute as your daughter   Smiley

Your friends friends' reaction is exactly why I usually regret telling people I can sew- they always think it's easier/cheaper than it is and expect you to make them stuff at your own loss!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal supply swaps.  I have tons of fabric and scrapbooking supplies. I am interested in sewing notions and trim, especially any heirloom sewing supplies.  If anyone wants to trade a smocker/pleater for fabric or scrapbook stuff, I'm in! I'll also trade for things on my wist.
zuliblu
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008 11:40:50 PM »

What a lucky little girl, you did a fabulous job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love.is.a.battlefeild
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2008 10:59:13 AM »

such a good idea very creative
i wish i had a friends whose mom would make me cool stuff like that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.peace.
doo_leroux
Cross Stitch Diva

Heya!

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008 01:52:31 PM »

Sorry it took me so long to post my pics. I've been having troubles lately. Hope you like though. I don't think its nearly as good as yours, but this is only my second bag. Thanks again for the tut! The green on the side is SUPER SOFT but really hard to sew with.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewFixated
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008 10:15:56 PM »

I love the purse that you made!  It very cute.  I like how you used different fabrics on the inside as well as the outside.  It also makes me feel good that you actually liked the bag enough to make one yourself.

Thanks for showing me your creation! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
Woodi
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2008 09:15:17 AM »

Wonderful! So good of you to share. I love the colors, and all the details. You really did a great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angelthomas
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2008 01:01:35 PM »

soo cute! i love the colors, i think i am going to try this. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We Barack'd The Vote!

YES WE DID!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 2
How to Use Vector Drawing Tools in Adobe Flash Lesson 1
Introduction to Adobe Flash - Overview
How to Design Custom Menus in Adobe Encore Lesson 3
Adobe Encore: Basic Menu Functionality Lesson 4
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...