A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
757 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial Pg 3: Kid's Purse, Crayon Roll & Doll Blanket (Lots Pics)  (Read 54168 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SewFixated
« on: March 27, 2008 04:04:20 PM »

This is my FIRST post with my own subject!

My 2 year old DD was invited to her first birthday party.  I am so excited!   

The first picture shows the gifts wrapped.

I didn't want to risk duplicating a Princess themed birthday gift so I decided to make my own. I had enough fabric in my stash to make something really cute. My DD watched me the entire time as I was making this gift and has become attached to it. I have been explaining to her that she is giving it to Alexis for her birthday. We'll see how she reacts when she actually gives it to Alexis! I didn't want to buy more wrapping paper so I made my own out of fabric. The Happy 3rd Birthday label is stitched onto the lower backside of the wrapping paper.  With the birthday card put right on the blanket/wrapping paper, Alexis will always remember how old she was when she received the gift and who gave it to her.  A nice added touch IMO.

When you open the gift you see that the wrapping paper is really a doll blanket. I used the birthday invitation as a template to make the crown and then decorated it with button jewels. I really like the fabric that I used. I will have to buy more because I don't have enough to make these things for DD and I don't want to disappoint her (or me!) The size of the doll blanket is the size of a fat quarter. I cut the material into thirds and sewed the strips together. I appliqued the crown and monogrammed A onto the blanket with my sewing machine and then attached the buttons and pom-pom fringe.

Inside the doll blanket wrapping paper there is a crown-topped purse and a crayon roll. I found the pattern for the crayon roll here http://skiptomylou.wordpress.com/2007/04/25/on-a-roll/.
Thank you to Cindy at Skip to My Lou for the wonderful tutorial. It is very easy to make and you can use your scraps. I do plan on making these crayon rolls for my two little nieces (shhh) for Christmas. The crown-topped purse was my design (no pattern) and it was very easy to make. The sides of the purse have striped fabric, the bottom is the same dragonfly pattern as the pink but it's in purple, the handles are made from the same striped fabric as on the sides.

This is the backside of the purse. I thought about adding pockets or an applique of a princess but I don't have enough time. This is the cute crayon roll which holds 16 crayons. When I make one for DD and my nieces I am going to include a pocket to hold a small notebook.

The purse is held closed with a snap at the center crown point. Can I tell you how difficult it is to sew a snap and a large button on the same spot? I hope I secured the buttons well enough. The inside of the purse is lined with purple dragonfly fabric. The top of the crown is decorated with a flower design from my sewing machine. My machine was giving me grief as I was making this. I didn't know if it was going to give up the ghost before I finished this birthday gift. Somehow, I made it through. I had to unpick a lot of the flower stitches because the machine created loops under the fabric. How I loathe unpicking, especially little flower stitches. It's still not perfect, but finished is better than perfect.

Thanks for looking!  I would love to hear your comments.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008 12:00:17 AM by SewFixated » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

My Wists
kiewiet
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008 03:13:57 AM »

brilliant! She is going to enjoy using that so much. You did a lovely job on the decorations, I am quite envious of Alexis  Wink I love the wrapping idea too, so much better than paper you throw away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TryEverything
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008 04:45:48 AM »

Wow this is stunning
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008 05:35:30 AM »

What a lucky girl!  Gorgeous stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scary_mary
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008 05:41:48 AM »

Great gifts!

I love the idea of doll blanket / wrapping paper - I think I will do that for my niece!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008 05:47:43 AM »

WOW  you are  very  creative  love the  entire package.  great  job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Ladybug-Gal
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008 07:50:51 AM »

Love both of your gift items.  You should really think about do a tutorial for the purse.  It is really cute!!! I would love to have a tutorial for that!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ L ~
SewFixated
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008 09:47:34 PM »

I've never made a tutorial before but I'll see what I can do.  Thanks for all the positive feedback.  I am excited about this gift. The birthday party is tomorrow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

My Wists
RecipeCard

I am a "girly girl" who likes the great outdoors!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008 10:58:18 PM »

LOVE LOVE LOVE this.  The crown shaped top on the purse is sooo cool!!!  I have made crayon rolls, too, but they never look quite right Huh...

Great job on all of your pieces!  I know the Birthday Girl will enjoy them!!!

-Stacy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

psoupdesigns
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008 09:37:51 AM »

You are very talented and I love the wrapping paper blanket idea, so cute!

You should join the kid swap-
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=234166.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Fimo Bead Bracelet
How to Make Handbag Charms
How to Make Bead Necklaces
How to Make Clay Beads
How to Make Glass Bead Bracelets
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...