A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Paper piecing questions  (Read 527 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

quilted
« on: March 26, 2008 07:35:15 AM »

Hi All! I'm about to make my first paper pieced quilt, and I'd love some advice.

First, do you stitch past the line? If so, how far?

Also, do you trim down the seam allowances after every piece is sewn in?

Anything else you'd like to share?

Thanks much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Try my free mobile health apps for the military community (and civilians too!): https://t2health.org/products/mobile-apps
athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008 07:44:16 AM »

I got past the stitching line about 1/4".  I trim down after every stitch when I am using light fabrics that will let the seam see thru.  You should really do after every one but I am lazy ;P

I was hoping someone had some advice on how to cut the fabrics.  I started making a template that was 1/4" bigger than the final piece on each edge then manually cutting those out first.  That was time consuming and still wasn't even perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
quilted
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008 07:52:24 AM »

Yeah.... because you warned me about the scrap size, for my first block I deliberatley used huge pieces and I still managed to mess up!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Try my free mobile health apps for the military community (and civilians too!): https://t2health.org/products/mobile-apps
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008 08:57:32 AM »

The number one reason I am not as gung-ho about paper piecing as I used to be is dealing with odd shaped pieces - I found I had to cut the odd shapes jumbo sized to make sure they fit.  I was getting frustrated and wasting a lot of fabric.  I still like it for certain projects - like mini's and log cabin styles.  And yes, I trim after each seam; it just works better that way.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008 08:59:00 AM »

Exactly.  I hate how much waste there is and that I still don't always get it.  If anyone had any tips, I'd hug you ;P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
lissaw70
Hi....my name is Lissa...........and I'm a craft junkie...........

Pretty please?! With sugar on top???.....<3

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008 01:07:24 PM »

You'll find some great info on paper piecing on Marcia Hohn's site.........as well as some  on Victoriana Quilters.

I'm still a quilting newbie.......with my first two in progress now.......but I can't wait until they're finished so I can try one paper pieced.   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama was wrong..........idle hands lead to fantabulous projects!!
anaximander
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008 02:03:27 PM »

What I do with my rather... ahem... completely insanepaper piecing project, is to simply trace the piece, then use a 1/4" stick (clear lucite rectangular prism, with each side having a 1/4" height, it was a gift from my mom) to outline it a quarter of an inch away. That covers the seam allowance right there, and I never have a problem with a piece being too small or too large (My scraps are also in the mm x mm rather than the inxin size Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quilted
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008 02:26:45 PM »

Wow... I'm trying to picture this, but I'm having trouble. I always wondered how you did such phenomenal stained glass work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008 05:29:40 AM »

LOL... thank you, I'm blushing. It's a little bit difficult because the fabric i'm using is hand dyed, and thus can be kind of a pain as far as marking / tracing. I have a very small, very old light box, and I place the paper for the piece right side up on it. I then put the fabric I'm going to use right side up on that as well, making sure that the edges are 1/4" or a little more away from the line provided by the paper. I then trace out the finished -sized piece very, very lightly. I then lay down my 1/4" bar along that line, so that it's outside the piece, and trace again. This way I have a piece exactly 1/4" bigger, all the way around, than the finished piece will be, and can thus sew it. It takes for-bloody-ever, and considering that some of the pieces THEMSELVES have a finished size of maybe a half inch by a quarter inch, it can be a real pain. it does, however, pretty much eliminate scraps, and allows me to fussy cut it slightly. I thought of cutting all the pieces in advance, but found that that wasn't to my advantage, so I literally sew a piece, sew in the "leading" (which I do pre-cut), then trace and cut out another piece. Depending on the size of the project, amount of duplication of squares, and the ability to choose fabrics before hand, I definitely suggest photocopying a "sacrificial" pattern or twelve, then creating templates that already have the seam allowance built in - that would be SO much easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 7 Point 7 Craps Bet
The Oasis 360 Slot Machine
Guster Serenade Rhiannon
How to Solve the 4T Puzzle Brain Teaser
Catan 5 and 6 Player Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...