A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What Color Curtain For Bathroom? and Floor question!  (Read 794 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anafelix
« on: March 26, 2008 09:40:40 PM »

Because I ramble(it's what I do best), Important parts are in bold.
We started re-doing our bathroom late this winter and I'm still not really done with it. I can't decide what color curtain to do in there and it's kind of keeping me from completing the bathroom (or that's my current excuse!). My mom is hopeless at decorating, so asking her isn't really helpful at all.

Anyhow. Our bathroom is going to be decorated in movie stuff. Like 40's starlets and classic film photos. The walls are painted slightly off-white (it's called rice paper and the color is hardly noticable) and accented in red bath accesories (like the trash can, soap dishes, etc.) and chrome fixtures. The sink/counter is going to be different (a vanity table and vessel sink)(excuse the mess in the picture!) but that wont affect color or anything. My biggest problem is the lack of privacy. There isn't a lock on the door (going to try to get a new door, but that could be a while) and the tub is wide open to the room. What do I do for curtains? I can't spend a huge amount on material cuz I need like 6 yards of material. I'd rather not do a pattern, it might look weird with such a large space. I could do a pattern on the valance, if I decide to do one. If I do, what sort of pattern would look good. I can't take colors from my photos because most are black and white. The only two color ones are going to be (I think) Wizard of Oz and The Sound of Music (with yellows, blues, and some greens).

We need to redo the floor, under the sink is like carpet while the rest is linoleum (ick!) but the previous owner's/original builders didn't smooth out the concrete floor underneath. It's not as bumpy as the other rooms but it's slightly noticable. Along with curtains, I dont know what to do for flooring. Would it be easier to just cover it up and ignore it, or try to smooth it out ourselves? I'm not good at building or anything to do with tools, that's my mom's area of expertise. I don't think she's done a lot of concrete work, so that could play into re-doing the floor.

Any Ideas would be extremely helpful because I'm totally stuck and my mom's getting onto me about finishing it. Sorry for the rambling but I'm not extremely good with words (I'm a visual person!) and for me, less doesn't seem to be more. Thanks so much!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alacorn
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008 01:00:26 AM »

first off i applaud you for taking on such a big task!
k so here are some ideas...

1. privacy!!! - i live in a tiny apartment so i know how key this is (no pun intended), i would sugest you go to home depo and get a 5 dollar chrome slide lock (like the kind in public restrooms), two 10 dollar chrome door pull handles (also like public restrooms) and attack these to your door. fill up that hole in the door with a piece of wood (painted to match and cut to fit) and use wood glue to keep it in place.

2. curtains - just get red curtains to match your accessories. if you want a patteren id sugest something classic like dots, checkers or film strips

3. floor - i would highly sugest filling in the holes with concrete. it wouldnt take much. and you could put in some cheap tile. like maybe a patteren like this:

or you could do a photo trasfer on to some of the tiles
tutorial: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_hobbies_interests/article/0,1801,HGTV_3121_1382895,00.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
demekah

Just Being Creative..

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008 03:56:14 AM »

Hi there! You could make a black curtain with a filmstrip on the bothem. I could recommend tiles in your bathroom, because that's the easyest in cleaning. I would do them black to so you have the same color as the curtain and the pictures. For the lock on the door you can use a hook they use for garden doors. It is a simple solution but you don't need to ad a new door. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just Being Creative..
mistress_rissa
I'm 26 and yes, I'm still a Girl Scout

an abomination of awesomeness

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008 07:11:52 AM »

I love your idea!

I agree that a film strip pattern on the shower curtain would look great.  Get some spray on fabric paint (advertised here) or iron to set fabric paint, and make stencils on a fabric shower curtain.  To make it water proof just get a cheap plastic liner.  (The cutrains and spray will prob cost you $25-$30 all together.) Then if you shower you can pull both across or if you are just taking a bath, the fabric one.

For the sink accessories, you should totally spray them with red glitter like the ruby slippers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If I told you how it tasted, you would never, ever again eat calamari."
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008 09:41:36 AM »

What color are your towels? That could influence your choice of color. OTOH, I believe that red goes with EVERYTHING.

AND

start looking at sheets. A twin flat sheet is easy-peasy to turn into a shower curtain. A larger flat sheet is almost as easy-peasy (one more hem. NBDeal) AND it would give you enough extra fabric to make a valence, etc.

I agree-- first the LOCK.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
anafelix
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008 09:51:31 AM »

Thanks for all the ideas! I really like the idea of a film strip curtain. We've tried putting locks on the door before but it's a hollow door so the screws and things just keep falling out. Any suggestions for fixing that?

And there aren't holes in the floor, there's bumps all along the floor. They're slightly raised bumps and I'm wondering if that would make tile lay weird.  What do you guys think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
demekah

Just Being Creative..

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008 12:30:03 PM »

If you really don't want to make it flat you can paint it. You can paint it in one color (I suggest white or black) or for example in black and white blocks. Because of your old film theme it is OK that your floor is not completely flat. After you painted it you can put a little carpet on it. Maybe in red; that would look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just Being Creative..
demekah

Just Being Creative..

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008 12:33:14 PM »

And for the lock you can atach one on a piece of wood and glue the wood on the door.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just Being Creative..
anafelix
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008 10:16:42 PM »

I still haven't quite decided what to do for curtains but everyone's ideas are great and really got my brain working. For the floor we went to a home store and asked about the floor and they suggested loose-lay tile which has a little bit of foam padding. I don't know why I didn't think about it before! I liked the idea of the checker floor but it's already in our kitchen so we found this white ( I know, HORRIBLE to clean, but its ok, it's just the bathroom) flooring with little circles which will help in traction. The best thing was it was only about 35 or 40 dollars for a 13x6 sheet.

Thanks so much for all your help and when I finally finish the room, I'll post photos of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008 04:52:02 PM »

If you're thinking of making your curtain to save $$, i'd reconsider. It's actually much cheaper to buy one and alter it to fit your needs. I'd buy a nice solid color (maybe black, ooh!) and stencil something on it, like Marilyn or Bette. Tres chic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a True Bold Lip
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Ivy Boyd
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Nicci Gilland
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Alyssa Wallace
Meet Allure 2014 Beauty Blogger Awards Finalist Miranda Mendoza
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...