A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i ran out of yarn!  (Read 1859 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

letsread

i'm the jealous type

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2005 06:09:07 PM »

here i am, just 6 inches of sleeve away from finishing my first sweater.  i've been working on it off-and-on for probably 8 months, going through spurts where i knit a lot and months where i didn't knit more than a few inches.  i knit half of the first sleeve and all that i have of the second sleeve in the last few days, excited about my steady, "real knitter" progress, and then I RAN OUT OF YARN!

now i'm looking around the internet for a store where i can buy the yarn and where i can buy yarn for my next project (join the knitalong!: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=23594.0;topicseen) so that i don't have to pay $4 to ship ONE SKEIN.  GRRRRRRRR.

if anyone has 6-inches-worth of reynolds lopi wool yarn in dark charcoal (color 0005) that they want to purge from their stash i'll happily trade you something for it!

i guess i'll spend the down time weaving in the 18,000,000 ends from the intarsia (damn you skully!)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010 02:53:22 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"you're ms. thinks-she's-pretty"
-one of my 3rd graders
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005 05:52:50 AM »

I hope you can find the yarn you need.  That sweater ROCKS!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
letsread

i'm the jealous type

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005 03:39:11 PM »

thanks!  i did just end up ordering the yarn.  i ordered it in a batch with the yarn i'll use for my next sweater so i wouldn't be so angry about having to pay shipping, and hopefully i'll get to finish the sweater this weekend!

now, back to weaving on those 8 billion ends and seaming up all the sides.

i'm so glad the next sweater i'm knitting is on circulars!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-one of my 3rd graders
gracella

I hope life isn't one big joke cuz I don't get it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005 06:40:48 PM »

i read in a book that if the yarn is not the same dye lot, to "introduce" the new yarn, and so that the color change is not so obvious, you should do every other row in one skein. the sweater looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
letsread

i'm the jealous type

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005 07:03:52 PM »

unfortunately, i knit right to the end of that skein and the fuzzy 100% wool doesn't unravel well, so it looks like i'm not going to bother "introducing" the new dye lot.  at this point i really don't care.  if someone wants to look at my sleeve that closely, they're more than welcome to notice 6 inches of it looks a little bit different Smiley

but i'll keep that in mind for future projects!  good to know.

(p.s. for my next sweater i ordered an extra skein of the MC, just in case!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-one of my 3rd graders
Greeneyes616
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005 06:48:36 PM »

hey thats the sweater from the Stitch 'n' Bitch book, I've wanted to try that, but I dont think I have the patience, is it hard?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
letsread

i'm the jealous type

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005 06:55:31 PM »

hey thats the sweater from the Stitch 'n' Bitch book, I've wanted to try that, but I dont think I have the patience, is it hard?

it's totally easy.  it was my first sweater.  the only annoying part is the intarsia, which gets pretty old by the end of the second skull, and REALLY old when you're trying to weave in all those damn ends, but i love the result.  i did finish this sweater, the other dye lot yarn doesn't look different at all, and now all i have to do is block it (it actually looks pretty good un-blocked, but i made a 100% wool sweater so i might as well take advantage of it's blocking properties and make it fit as perfectally as i want it).

if you make it, just buy more MC yarn than the pattern says!  just in case!  oh, and you might want to pick something a little softer than the reynolds lopi 100% wool i used.  it sure is warm but i sure don't spend hours rubbing the thing affectionately against my cheek...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-one of my 3rd graders
MopTopStumptown
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005 07:05:45 PM »

Holy crapola, that's awesome! I was going to suggest finishing off the sleeve in white as a bit of a rebellious touch... but if you already ordered the extra yarn, then nevermind.  :-) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nushybum
nushybum the magnificent

Masquerade!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005 12:52:42 AM »

I love that! I really want to start that jumper but I'm having a bit of trouble choosing the yarn. (No Brown Sheep Company in England, no LYS in my area.)

But it looks really, really good - please post a pic after blocking!

Nush
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shock Paper Scissors - a modern magazine for contempory crafters

Magic Fingers - a craft blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Perfect Baked Eggs
How to Make Turkey Chili
How to Make The Best Turkey Burger
How to Make Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Grill Fails Mashup
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...