A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 303,178
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amy Butler Weekender Bag sew-a-long?  (Read 19379 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2008 07:15:14 AM »

Thanks everyone...I just finished my bag. I LOVE it.  Just in time too, we are moving next week and taking a month vacation, so it'll come in handy.  I think I'll have craft withdrawals!! Smiley It wasn't as bad as I expected.  I did make my own piping which I found to be the toughest part along with sewing all the layers together. But as long as I took my time, it wasn't too bad.  I didn't put metal feet on it though. I was too worried I'd mess it up...maybe the next one. I'll try to post a picture but I'm not sure how.  

« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2008 01:23:13 PM »

Bandwife, it looks fantastic, great job!!!
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2008 01:26:55 PM »

My favourite bag in my favourite fabric!
Regularly Addicted

yes, im baby obsessed, i know.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2008 04:18:25 AM »

Great job everyone... ive been watching for a bit Smiley

Now the big news....
Im midway through FOUR weekenders atm, for a family holiday. Quite enjoying it though, theyre all nearly at final construction point. Will try and take some progress shots, but will definately take some finished shots of them all (The 4 are all different too.. for my stepfather - tools, for my brother - our football team colours with an embroidery of their logo, for my mother - roses, and for me - a geometric flower print).

But right this moment I need a favour... since I have a really badly sprained ankle (cant even shower myself) Im staying at my parents and grabbed some stuff to work on the bags from my place today... what I really need to do is cut strips for making the bias binding/cotton cord cover ... but I left the pattern with the measurements at my house (I know how, just not exactly the dimensions) ... from memory its about 1 inch wide and no idea how long? (I do have my piping cord with me, but I know the length is longer than the bias binding needs to be)

So can someone pleaseeeeeee look at their pattern and tell me how wide and long my fabric strips for the bias binding for one bag needs to be? Itll mean I can do a whole bunch of work whilst im here, since I cant walk or anything, cept to hobble from one spot to another with my crutches.

On a side note... at the hospital before getting xrays on my ankle, I laughed to my mother saying 'at least its not my sewing foot!' haha. Good to see my priorities!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008 08:23:46 AM by kirbay831 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them. If you hate someone, hate them until it hurts." -Henry Rollins
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2008 11:54:41 AM »

I don't have the pattern but from looking at pictures of the finished bags it looks like you need enough length to go around the perimeter of each side plus the top of each exterior pocket. (Width of bag X 6 (Front & back, top and bottom + 2 pocket top edges) + Height of bag X 4 (Front & Back, left and right sides)).  Be sure to measure at the widest part and add at least 1/4 yard for wiggle room.  As far as width goes, 1 inch sounds very small.  You can guesstimate the width by folding a piece of fabric around your cording and be sure you have enough extra for the seam allowance that you are using for the rest of the bag.  (Seam allowance X 2 + cord circumference).  If you haven't already figured this out I hope this helps.  I know what it feels like to be tied to a chair or crutches.  I spent 4 months on a roll-about last Fall but mine was my "sewing" foot so I was beginning to go a bit crazy.  Hope all goes well with your recovery. 
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2008 01:12:01 AM »

Kirbay831, hopefully by now you have figured out your pipping question, but just in case, the pattern calls for 5 yards of fabric 1 1/2" cut. I also hope you ankle is feeling better.

I've just cut out all the pieces for my first AB weekender bag and came here to look for some tips. Loved the pics of the bags you ladies have posted so far and certainly appreciate the tips and suggestions along the way. This bag is *supposed* to be for my niece for Christmas but after everything I have read maybe I'll be wanting to keep  it for myself when I am done.  Roll Eyes
« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2008 03:46:43 AM »

kirbay, not sure if it's too late but I was going to suggest not doing 1 continuous piece of piping as the instructions suggest.  The 2nd time I made the bag, I cut and sewed piping for each section of the bag.  The bag is about 17" wide so I made 2 piping pieces for the main pocket panels about 18-19", then I measured around the bag and made piping to go all the way around that.  I found it easier that way and then I didn't have to keep cutting down the one long piece of piping to fit.  does that make sense at all?

anyway, can't wait to see the finished product!
Regularly Addicted

yes, im baby obsessed, i know.

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2008 07:06:06 AM »

thanks for the helps guy, sorry for not getting back sooner!

All 4 bags got done for our 4 day holiday, and worked perfectly! I was soooo proud. I've got pics of mine, for now, since I havent taken any of all of them.. I will though!

I must admit, I didnt find this too bad, thinking that maybe if I'd not made 4 at once it wouldnt have been that bad, haha.. Will post the others at some point.

"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them. If you hate someone, hate them until it hurts." -Henry Rollins

"I know, right?"

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2008 02:36:06 PM »

Your bag looks great! Good job!

"I want my little girl's heart to be so hidden in Christ that her Prince will have to seek Him first to find her."
« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2008 04:15:14 PM »

I've been looking for a bag to make for my MIL. This one looks like a it might work out well. 
It looks really nice in all the fabric.

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Matchstick Men Serve as Art
"The Bay Lights" Transforms San Francisco Skyline
Artist Jodi Harvey-Brown Creates Sculptures Inside Books
Brooklyn Artist Creates Light Bulb Headed Sculptures
An Artist Creates Balancing Sculptures Using Stones
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...