A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 305,025
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ambitious Parrot  (Read 1661 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KittyWampus
« on: March 26, 2008 09:06:17 AM »

Let's start by admitting that I know this was an over-ambitious project. I'm not so sure that it really looks like a parrot in any identifiable way, the intentions and drawing were easier Smiley and it seems to have all gotten away from me...but it was fun and he loves it which was the goal of this exercise. Suggestions on how I could have improved this are always welcome.

The red fabric is recycled! WOOHOO! I found red fleece ponchos at a sample store near my work, this outfit used 3 of them, one of the things I didn't take into account was that the fabric was so stretchy and a little heavy.
The blue and yellow are polyester, and the orange is a fake terry cloth feeling thing, and green is from a stiff cotton pillow case...pretty much everything was $1.
As you can see I've been lazy, and only attempted to really "feather" the back and hood, as a result the cape is much heavier than the rest of it. When I tried it on him (when done already) what USED to line up as shoulders stretched and fell on the back of his arm. OY. Tried to pull it forward but adding some front weight and another line of stitching on the shoulder to help prevent the feathers from flipping over didn't really seem to help.

Some in process building pics:

We made our sample on GI Joe in felt, that was great, boy (5) even sewed the hood on by himself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chemically Romanced
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008 09:12:16 AM »

This is seriously Amazing!
And it definately does look like a parrot  Grin
I especially love the colors on the back
And well done for recycling the fabric  Cheesy
*This Rocks*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bass, the rock
The mic, the treble
I like my coffee black
Just like my metal
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008 09:19:40 AM »

rawk! flibblewantsone flibblewantsone! flibble want a cracker! rawk!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kcartwright856
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008 09:23:29 AM »

Cutest parrot ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jasar31629
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008 09:42:19 AM »

This is awesome!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008 10:34:35 AM »

it definitely looks like a parrot from the back!

i think what must have happened in translation between the model and the real thing, is that the felt is much less floppy than the fleece.  but hey, it works, and that's the main thing.  i bet wing-flapping is a lot more comfortable in the floppier fabric, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008 02:28:54 PM »

That looks great and totally like a parrot.  I suppose if you're concerned about the stretching, you could sew some non-stretch fabric on the inside to hold it in place.  I think it looks awesome, though.  Are you getting a huge jumpstart on Halloween or was this just for fun?  I'm asking because I usually finish my Halloween costumes up 3 minutes before the kids are supposed to go trick-or-treating.  :-)   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittyWampus
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008 06:50:45 AM »

You guys are great, thank you for the kind words.
This was his Purim costume, and yeah, it was finished at the last minute. The burlap bad he's holding was one of MANY, filled with bird seed (sunflower seeds) and treats.
Yeah, when he's running, looks more like a bird. I really don't know how I could have done the hood differently though, it's the part I like the least. I just don't like how he has a mane when you look at him from the front.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StacyCK
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008 07:25:16 AM »

What a great costume!  And cute parrot!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oppsadaisy

i have to stop drinking so much coffee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008 01:22:53 PM »

WOW i bet your son was a big hit at your Purim party! its really cute and fun and what i like best is that the by wearing the costume, you would automatically start acting like a parrot i bet your son had SO much fun!
i will have to remember this idea for the next years Purim - i usually am in the group of women  who organise the Purim party where i live and try to make my children's costume with a the party theme in mind.... now next year i might have to make us has a "treasure island" party just so i can make a parrot too!
very cool!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

everything has an end....
except a sausage which has two
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
6 Looks Perfect for Summer Music Festivals
Are These 5 Women the Next Big Style Setters?
5 Great Prom Looks for Any Budget
Fashion Tips And Trends For Busy Moms
Are These New White Jeans Actually Resistant To Stains?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...