A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,615
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doctor Who Scarf Knitalong  (Read 7903 times)
Tags for this thread: dr_who , scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nven
Also known as Aeramel

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008 01:47:05 PM »

I made the season 12 version of the scarf for my husband las xmas (Took about 3months of lunch hour knitting).  I miscalculated how much yarn I would need so I'm making a norrower vesion for myself.  Its about 3/4s done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps; offering knits for eco baby and mama items.
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008 03:34:31 PM »

I cast on tonight!  I finished the purple stripe (a whole 8 rows), but it's something.  I'm buying the yarn as I need it, but I hadn't looked at the pattern in a while, and didn't realize the first row as so short.  So I'll be buying the next color tomorrow.  I'm using Vanna's Choice, on size 6 Susan Bates circs.  Yup, cheapo way.  But I actually really like the points on the needles, if the cable is a bit twisty.  And the yarn is knitting up really nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Sewsew-a-Gogo
Faster, Pussycat! Sew! Sew!

I'll show ye.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008 04:37:16 PM »

I started one of these (season 15 I believe) quite a while ago and set it down and then never picked it back up!  Maybe this is the inspiration I need! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Currently taking a hiatus from swapping.  Sad

I've always wondered what disease cured ham had.

Wist Bandwagon
3monstersmama
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008 07:57:09 AM »

After a DrWho marathon on our local PBS station last year, my husband said the only thing he wanted for X-mas or his birthday ever again was a real Dr who scarf.  So when my local yarn store sent me a birthday 10% off coupon this year, after making a year of excuses, I took the plunge and bought the yarn.  That was in September--I finally started in late October.  It hasn't been my only project--I do much of my knitting on my bus ride to work and The Scarf quickly became unmanageable for the bus--but I've tried to do a little every day and its now looking like I just might, maybe finish by Christmas.

I was a bit of a coward and didn't go for the biggest version [season12, I believe].  I'm doing the season 14 scarf which is missing some nice big hunks.  Smiley  And I am not doing a straight knit--in my limited experience, it would be likely to pull quickly out of shape given size and weight so I am knitting one way and purling the other.  Also, I am slipping stitches on each end to make a nicer edge.  I am using Brown sheep Lamb's pride yarn and size 7 needles.  I chose the colors using the famous DrWho scarf site but my yarn store didn't carry the exact type of sport weight yarn given on the site.  They were kind enough to give me the color chart and let me figure out what was what.  Last thought for now, it was a daunting amount of yarn to purchase but to my surprise, there is an awful lot left.  I'm not sure the amounts listed on the site instructions are accurate.  When I finish, I will be sure to list exactly how much I used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
urbazewski

make your own photo kaleidocycle at foldplay.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009 01:35:01 PM »

My friend Anita and I are just starting Dr. Who scarves. She's going season 13 or 14 (whichever is shorter) and I'm doing season 12 but making the stripes with half as many rows because the scarf is a present for Anita's grandson.

We're using Vanna's choice and some of the cheap Bernat mega-skeins. We hope to be done in time for next winter! I'll keep posting updates.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009 07:28:01 AM »

I'm still knitting away!  But slowly.  It's sort of my in-between project.  I'm probably 2 feet in.  It didn't occur to me until my 5th stripe that I'd read the yarn label upside down, and it actually wants size 9 needles...not 6.  That would definitely have made this go faster.  At the same time, though, the 6's make incredibly thick and velvety fabric, which I'm actually very pleased with.  It will be a remarkably serviceable scarf, especially since we're planning on moving to the frozen north before next winter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009 06:41:07 AM »

Well, I'm 1/4 done.  Yup...still going slowly.  I plan to finish it by this autumn, though, as DH is going to be in the frozen north, and has never had a scarf.  It's turned out a bit wider than I'd like, and I cast on far fewer stitches than the pattern calls for.  Overall, though, I'm still very happy with it.  I love the VC yarn, too!  The colors are perfect!  Though I wish I'd found the darker beige before I started.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MadiK
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009 03:36:27 PM »

I know I'm about a year late on this KAL, but I'd love to join if I could? I just started a season 12 scarf for a friend, and am about 1/2 through the second stripe, lol. I definitely could use some motivation to keep going. It does make good tv knitting, too bad I don't watch much tv ....lol. How is everyone else's going/coming?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not OCD. It's CDO, alphabetical like it should be.
gerardistheshiz
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009 07:21:28 AM »

I already made the red, purple and orange one (sans tassels). it is so amazing. I kind of want to do the first multicolor one too, but not as long as my other one, which is like 12 feet or so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MagickDragonfly
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010 06:30:51 AM »

I made one of these already and absolutely loved being able to use some of my stash on this! I made it for a friend from ireland who actually used to watch the show back in the 70's a nd he loved it! I would like to make myself one with pastel colors. No rhyme or reason to it though, just total stash busting! If only I could knit up a real life David Tennant though! My oh my he was the cutest Dr. yet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introduction to Yarn Fiber Types
Introduction to Yarn Textures
Deciding Which Yarn to Use
How to Weave at Ends
How to Make a Slip Knot
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...