A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Multidirectional Scarf and Lantern Hat, with tutorial!  (Read 8735 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suziewrong
« on: January 24, 2005 03:29:53 PM »

So, I got a little bit sidetracked from finishing up my uncompleted projects. This is because I made an unscheduled visit to Seaport Yarn on Friday and could not stop myself from purchasing two skeins of Noro Big Kureyon. It is so beautiful! Here are the results of my impulse purchase:

http://www.jodisax.com/crafty/DSCF0016.JPG

http://www.jodisax.com/crafty/melantern.JPG

Top view of the hat:

http://www.jodisax.com/crafty/lanterntop.JPG

You really can't see the flowers well in the pic, but they are my favorite part. The best knit flower pattern I've found to date (pattern below):

http://www.jodisax.com/crafty/lantern%20side.JPG

I knit the scarf using the free multidirectional scarf pattern by Karen Baumer:  http://douma.net/Karen/knitting/Accessory-Scarves/Multidirectional_Diagonal_Scarf.htm

Next, I knit up a hat that I designed on the fly, which looks to me like a Chinese lantern because of the shape it took interspersing the random wool boucle yarn I had lying around with a double strand of the big Kureyon. I embelished it with knit pansies made from the Big Kureyon (single strand) : cast on 16 LOOSELY, [knit, knit in back loop, knit again] in each stitch, cast off purlwise, then form into flowers and attach. Sew stamen in center of flowers with contrasting color, beads, or whatever you would like.

Very, very warm and I really like how these turned out. The pictures don't do the Big Kureyon justice. It is GORGEOUS.

To make hat (pattern is not very exact because you can modify # of rows to fit your head):

Cast on 40 stitches of two strands Noro Big Kureyon onto size 15 circ or double points

purl one row
continue in the Big Kureyon (BK) in garter stitch for about 6 more rounds
switch to wool boucle and purl for about 4 rounds
switch back to BK and continue in garter stitch, commencing with purl row, for about 6 rounds
switch back to wool boucle and purl about 4 more rounds
switch back to BK/garter stitch, purl one round
[CHECK HAT TO SEE IF IT FITS BEFORE BEGINNING DECREASE; you can knit more or take out a few rows as needed - my head is big!]
continuing in BK, begin decrease rows, k2, k2 together for round --> 30 stitches
purl next row in BK
decrease row - K1, K2 tog --> 20stitches
purl next row
decrease row - k2 together around --> 10 stitches
purl one row
break yarn leaving tail, put remaining stitches on yarn tail and pull together, tie and weave in ends.

I used 2 skeins of Noro Big Kureyon for both hat and scarf, and about 30 yards of wool boucle for hat.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011 10:02:34 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mojisha
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005 04:33:51 PM »

Your hat and scarf look great!  The colors are so playful and look great on you.  Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my new digs at http://shysalamander.typepad.com
mayerlove
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005 05:05:54 PM »

Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
tootightjeans
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005 08:09:11 PM »

what a lovely set! i love the little flowers on your hat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'll give you a tuffet.
beatnik_chik
Lightly Effervescent

Helpless!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005 12:05:28 AM »

I absolutely love that hat!  It's very hippie inspired without being overpoweringly so!
Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<{{{><
And like a downward smoke, the slender stream
Along the cliff to fall and pause and fall did seem.
suziewrong
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005 04:20:41 PM »

Thanks guys!

That's funny you think it's hippy inspired because I am so not the patchouli type. lol.

If any of you all have a chance to test out the flower pattern I highly recommend it...They turned out so well...I'm always looking for ways to make knit flowers because I don't know how to crochet and as I said these are definitely the best so far.

Also, the yarn I used, Noro Big Kureyon color scheme #9 is DIVINE. I can't emphasize that enough. The pictures don't do it justice. If you are at a store that has it take a look!  $15 a skein, but worth it in my opinion. 1 skein went a  long way. It's really special. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xmelinda
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005 07:44:27 AM »

Shocked This is just about the first hat I've ever seen that makes me WANT to wear it, despite the inevitable hat hair (I have short hair -- hats make a flat flat mess of it!).  It is GORGEOUS!!

What is the weight of the boucle yarn you used?  Is there something similar I could try?  You only needed one skein of the Kureyon, right?  I SO want to try this hat, even though I am a terrible knitter  Roll Eyes

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
suziewrong
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005 03:00:17 PM »

Oh Melinda you are so, so sweet!

The hat actually used about 1/2 skein of the big kureyon. I used 2 skeins for the hat and the scarf. If you wanted to do it in all big kureyon, you could do it in a skein. I think that the boucle made it a little bit more interesting though, because it kind of poofs out where the boucle stitches are.

The boucle yarn that I used was not super chunky. I would say it is about comparable to Lion Brand Boucle or Homespun, if you are familiar with those. You can see it on the lion brand site: http://www.lionbrand.com/  - My yarn may have been a little bit "curlier" than the lion brand homespun.

The boucle I used was 100% wool with some decorative thread (looks like embroidery thread) woven in. I'm sorry I can't direct you to it, as my Mom gave it to me as a single ball with no wrapper, left over from a long time ago. I am really into natural fibers these days, but if you can't find a wool boucle, or would rather use a synthetic, the lion brand homespun seems like a good choice because it comes in so many colors. You might want to use double strands of the lion brand homespun if you use that, to get the fluffier/curlier effect. The LB Boucle seems curly, but doesn't come in as many colors. The Big Kureyon I used was in color #9. I used a double strand of the big kureyon on the hat, and a single strand on the scarf.

Good luck and post here if you need any help. It's really easy and I was able to knit it up in one night.

Have fun! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MindWhore

Believe it or not, I do have a nose.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005 12:13:49 AM »

That hat is just fantastic! I fully intend to run out tomorrow and buy some interesting yarn to match the purple homespun I've been dying to use, and some size 15 dps. I need to knit something for myself for once.

I may need some help with the flowers, though. Just reading that I'm a wee bit confused. Once I give it a shot I might be okay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annarella
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005 01:52:02 AM »

I love how the scarf came out - wonderful colours! x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Annarella
http://www.annarella.co.uk
buy my hand made stitch markers: http://annarella.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Keen On: Writing On The Wall
Team Milkha at Bangalore Literature Festival
Wil Haygood: What Are You Reading?
The Party Bible: Genesis
Endless Knight by Kresley Cole
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...