A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help with sleeve for Simplicity 3860  (Read 1169 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

multicrafty
« on: March 25, 2008 09:36:08 AM »

I'm making my daughter a dress using Simplicity 3860.  The pattern doesn't have sleeves but due to the dress code at her school, I want to add a little cap sleeve or some type of cute sleeve that will "flow" with the rest of the dress.

I've tried to figure out how to do a sleeve for it (even laying the dress down and tracing the arm hole) and can't get it just right.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a nice sleeve for this dress or am I doomed for disaster?

Thanks in advance for any help you have to offer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008 09:42:52 AM »

do you have any old t shirts of hers you can cut up? 'cos if you cut a sleeve out of one you can use it as a pattern...
other than that I'm afraid I'm no help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008 11:03:27 AM »

I just got done doing this on a dress for my dd, so let me see if I can't be of assistance to you.

My baby is only a year old, so I'm just guessing on the measurements for yours, but since it's a gathering affair, it doesn't have to be totally exact!

I cut a piece of newspaper in this shape to use as a pattern:

Mark on the armhole where the bottom of your dd's armpit is, front and back. (Try to get them the same on both arms). That will be where you're going to pin the ends of the sleeves.

Cut out two sleeves run a basting stitch along the curved edges leave long tails so you can grasp them for gathering) and hem the bottoms, OR what I did was make a casing along the bottom and use elastic. (You can see mine here).

Then pin the center of the sleeve to the shoulder seam with the right sides together. Pin the two ends of the curved edge to the marks you made on the armholes. Then pull up the basting threads till the sleeve is gathered to the armhole, using as many pins as necessary and evening out the gathers as you go.

Baste in place and see how it looks. Sometimes my gathers slip out of the way and make funny puckers...now's the chance to fix them! When everything looks good, sew in place. Turn and press. The seam of the sleeve to the armhole will cause the bottom part of the armhole to turn in too. Top stitch the armhole hem in place -- keep going all the way around so the sleeve seam allowance gets caught in the top stitching along the upper part of the armhole.

If any of this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll take a picture of what I'm talking about!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
multicrafty
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008 01:00:16 PM »

~mrsflibble~  Thank you for that.  I'll have to keep that in mind.

~christephi~  Thank you as well.  That is what I tried to do but my pattern didn't come out big enough for some reason and I was getting really frustrated.  I'll try it again using your suggestions.  Never though of making a casing and inserting elastic.  Like that better.  Thank you so much!  BTW, the dress on your little girl looks adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

christephi

From a tiny seed grows a giant tree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008 01:26:48 PM »

When I did the same thing for a shirt for myself, I ended up doing the sleeves three times.  It is frustrating, but oh so satisfying when you finally get it right! Keep it up and I'm sure you'll turn out a gorgeous (and school appropriate) dress for your dd!

Thanks! I never thought a dress made from old pj bottoms would turn out so cute. We've had some hot weather (90 degrees!!!) the past few days, so she's already gotten some use out of it. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: Sprouting Flowers

Follow me on Twitter @christephi
SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008 03:20:17 PM »

Am I lazy or ingenious? I'd just steal a sleeve pattern out of another pattern, a kids arm hole is a kids arm hole pretty much Smiley Follow the sleeve instructions for the sleeved dress/shirt/whatever instead of the arm hole finishing & ta-da! sleeve on your dress!

Ok, this is a "Copyright violation" But I don't care- let's see them prove it!

I have bought two patterns at once with the full intention of mixing the elements (top of one & skirt of another, etc) because I couldn't find a pattern for what I wanted.

I also would much rather spend 20 minutes podging together 2 patterns than 6-10 hours drawing up a new one from scratch. YMMV, really depends on what part gives you the most satisfaction, for me it's the finished product, not the process. If you are a process person than making your own patterns would likely be very satisfing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
multicrafty
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008 03:55:55 PM »

~Penlowe~  I tried that from 3 different children's patterns I have and none of them would lay in right. Either to big even with the gathering or to small and no room for fudging.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008 08:57:00 PM »

Bummer, well, then...build your stash some more Cheesy
I tease, I have had quite a bit of success mixing patterns.

WAIT!!! You've already cut the dress haven't you? Dang- I just realized how I addresses that issue. I cut the original sleeves' mate onto the bodice I wanted, so they match perfectly. (that didn't look like it made sense)
Rephrasing:
If you can cut the bodice armhole to match the armhole that goes with the sleeve you want, it'll work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
degenecle
djrk

I wanna be a professional grandma

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008 09:05:03 PM »

My dd has the same dress code (no bare shoulders) and this is what has saved me: Handkerchief sleeves. They are pretty much a triangle, which makes it easy to stick onto everything Tongue

Measure the circumference of the armholes. This is the base of your triangle. The height depends on how pointy and long you want the sleeves to be. If you don't want pointy (if, for example, it REALLY doesn't go with the dress) make a shorter triangle and round out the top point. If you make it short and round enough, you actually make the common cap sleeve!

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftyjnet

I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog too!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008 05:23:16 AM »

Working from that photo above christephi made of the sleeve pattern, how about if you make a football shape and then fold it in half (make sense?) and then ease the entire curve length & sew it in -- not going all the way to the armpit -- then use bias tape to treat the seam -- this way it doesn't have to be a perfect fit -- you aren't going all the way around -- I just did this last night and it is a cute sleeve!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Braided Headband Tutorial
Katy Perry’s Hair Colorist on Adding “Adult” Streaks
Discover the Cure For Dry, Lifeless Hair
How to Create the Sock Bun Hairstyle with the Wrap Up
Beyonce and Miley Cyrus Bring Back Pixie Cuts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...