A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Curlers *w/tutorial link **UPDATED pics of outcome p.1 ***AFTER WORK p.5  (Read 75947 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , curler  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

keeperrox
« on: March 24, 2008 07:35:16 PM »

First off, all credit goes to Shawnee over at Life with Monkey and her super easy tutorial.  I did make some changes... I didn't gather the base of the curler by hand, I just used my machine and a zipper foot.  Also, I used some wooden beads that I had, because my button tin is mysteriously missing... hmmmmmmmm... I wonder where it went? Huh  I actually like the small beads pretty well, and they work great with the button hole.  Anywho, on to the pics:

Weird whole head shot

Some close ups

I used 2 fat quarters of fabrics that I really had no use for anymore, mini wood beads that came in a multi-pack of which I only used the large ones, some thread, some poly-fill, and in maybe an hour and a half from start to finish, I now have 20 soft curlers.

I have a TON of pretty fine hair, so I let it air dry a bit first, but it is still wet in the pics, even though it doesn't totally look like it.  Somedays when I pull it back while wet, it's still wet when I take it down at night.  I will probably blow dry it a bit before I go to bed, and hopefully they will be set by morning.  I've been looking for soft curlers that I can sleep on for a while now, but they all seemed ridiculously overpriced.  I'll take pictures of the results in the morning.  I hope they look good! Cheesy

Well, I am totally sold on these!  Here's the outcome:

I just used my fingers to comb through the curls and then sort of twisted large sections back together.  I definitely love what it looks like, but I wonder how they will hold throughout the day without me heat-setting them or using any product.  They seem to be holding alright now, but have loosened a bit already. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008 04:24:33 PM by keeperrox » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008 08:37:05 PM »

oh, that's a cool idea!  probably a lot nicer to sleep on than the regular plastic and foam ones.  I can't wait to see how your hair looks in the morning.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dez-igns
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008 08:53:21 PM »

that is so cool, I wish I didnt cut all my hair off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So you, could spend the morning walkin with me, quite amazed. As I am unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed.
http://www.dezignsforkidz.etsy.com
Babyangel
Photographer, mommy, late night crafter

I made the BEST OF 2007 with my love letter box!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008 08:56:21 PM »

I made some of those, well simmilar, I havent looked at the tut you used but they look a lot alike, I haven had  a chance to try mine out as life has rushed me the past month. I cant wait to see how your curls turn out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

julieboolie

turtle, turtle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008 09:08:49 PM »

someone recommended making some soft kind for my thin hair, but i could never find a good tutorial!
thank you! can't wait to see the result tomorrow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield"

Wists | Pinterest | Ravelry
kissthegirl
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008 09:12:12 PM »

I too am super excited to see how your hair looks in the morning.

In my youth, I had natural Shirley Temple curly hair, but it my teens discovered a hair straightner (yes, I know what this does to my hair, but it's an addiction I'm trying to fight). So now my hair doesn't curl pretty naturally.... wondering if this is what I need until my straightened hair grows out....

anyways, back to you. thanks for posting a link to the tute you used!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

someone once told me there's nothing wrong with wanting a fairy tale... everyone lives happily ever after.
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008 09:15:12 PM »

I decided a while ago not to fight my curls and waves, so I'm excited to see how yours looks in the morning.  I have a TON of coarse hair and even w/o a ponytail it takes 8-12 hours to dry naturally most of the year (in the Pacific NW) and about 6 hours in the summer.  I wonder if this would be hopeless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008 09:21:08 PM »

definately can  make  these  thanks  for  sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
poe poe
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008 09:29:03 PM »

What a fantastic idea. I love them. I can't wait to see your hair. Do the buttons hurt? I hate buttonholes. I wonder if velcro would work, or if it would get all stuck in my hair. I think I will have to make me a set of these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.
-Aldo Leoplod-
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008 10:37:52 PM »

Oh I like the look of these!
I have very fine VERY straight hair, so I think I may give these a try so I can maybe get some body into this iron-straight mop of mine.

I also hate buttonholes, so I think I would use snaps (worried about velcro ripping my hair)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kids Fashion: The Surfer Look
Kids Fashion: The Nautical Look
ENK Kids Runway Fall 2011 at NYFW
Back to School Essentials
Choosing Fabrics for Kids Clothing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...