A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my neck gets cold part two, plus jumpers  (Read 3235 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LetterGhost
« on: March 24, 2008 05:34:15 PM »

I've been making shirts with big collars because my weird long neck gets cold in winter, and wearing a scarf indoors is often inconvenient. So here's a few tops to keep my neck warm. All are made from bargain bin fabrics that were either $1.99 or $2.99/m.

I love the light blue fabric and wish I'd bought more of it. But i bought it during my first trip to the fabric store in November, just after I'd started sewing. I had no concept yet of how much fabric is needed to make things, and I  thought, "Sure, a metre is plenty!" Now I know better.

This one is made of really slinky fabric. I made it long because I intended it for layering, but I'm probably going to cut off a few inches and hem it to a normal length. The yoke and cuffs are just the reverse side.

Tried to put a keyhole in this and it just wasn't working, despite the fact that I was using one of smarmyclothes' fantastic tutorials. The  fabric is a light, stretchy rib knit, and the keyhole stretched out sooo much when i was trying to hem it. However, it laid nice and flat once I sewed in the light purple fabric so I wonder if maybe my fabric was just too thin and I should have been using some kind of stabilizer/interfacing...? I dunno, I'm still pretty new to this. Also, the collar and cuffs have a nice ruffly lettuce edge that you can't really see that well here.

Made a pinafore, 'cause all the cool kids are doing it. It's got pointless exposed seams, because I love the look of exposed seams.

Stole this idea from Free People. I saw a few dresses on their site that were basically backless hooded dresses, and I thought that was a really neat idea. This was actually difficult for me to work out as I'm not that experienced, but it somehow fell together in the end.

(the length of the skirt is just above the knee.)

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008 05:35:36 PM by LetterGhost - Reason: spelling » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Underjoyed

Super like Nintendo!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008 05:49:15 PM »

I love love love the last one, A hood on a strappy dress, what's better?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008 05:54:34 PM »

these rock!!

PS: (my favorites are the 1st 2, but not sure why.  i think these fabrics just caught my eye the most.)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008 05:55:43 PM by nataloca - Reason: to say more » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008 06:18:54 PM »

the last one is so cool!!
very creative Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mouseatethekitty
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008 06:41:00 PM »

I love everything! But I especially like the dress, it's amazingly cool. I don't think I could in a bajillion years ever ever manage to make that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008 07:13:14 PM »

I love ALL of these!!! You are seriously talented, and you must have an AMAZING wardrobe!!!

(I also have a looonnnng neck. I understand. Oh, and the long arms, too. I HATE 3/4 sleeves!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
The Muffin
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008 07:35:25 PM »

I totally love your pinafore, now I really want to make one. The weird thing is I usually don't like them, but yours looks fantastic on you, especially with the striped shirt! I'd love some detailed shots of the skirt part if you don't mind...

Everything else it great too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LetterGhost
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008 09:39:21 PM »

thanks everybody!
the last one is so cool!!
very creative Wink
well, I did steal the idea so it was not exactly creative of me.  Wink er, maybe you were joking
I love everything! But I especially like the dress, it's amazingly cool. I don't think I could in a bajillion years ever ever manage to make that.
It wasn't actually too hard once I figured out the shape of the top. But in all honesty, even though I'm happy with the end result there's a lot I could improve. I'd like to make another one, maybe with a different type skirt.
(I also have a looonnnng neck. I understand. Oh, and the long arms, too. I HATE 3/4 sleeves!)
ha, thanks! and thanks for commiserating! I don't hate 3/4 length sleeves--in the spring, when they're intentional. What I hate is having 3 or 4 inches of skinny wrist sticking out of what's supposed to be a long sleeve shirt. Especially in the winter, I like to keep my hands tucked in!

I totally love your pinafore, now I really want to make one. The weird thing is I usually don't like them, but yours looks fantastic on you, especially with the striped shirt! I'd love some detailed shots of the skirt part if you don't mind...
hey thanks, I'm glad I've converted you! The only real difference between mine and the others is mine's just a flared skirt instead of being gathered at the waist, so it's more fitted over the hips.

I didn't actually sew it in six pieces--it was two pieces. I added the exposed seams afterwards. I actually really like the "handmade" look with visible seams and raw edges so it worked out pretty well.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008 09:40:28 PM by LetterGhost » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008 09:53:06 PM »

ha, thanks! and thanks for commiserating! I don't hate 3/4 length sleeves--in the spring, when they're intentional. What I hate is having 3 or 4 inches of skinny wrist sticking out of what's supposed to be a long sleeve shirt. Especially in the winter, I like to keep my hands tucked in!

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant. Just got interrupted. They're ALL 3/4 on me! Grrrr.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
tidesong
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008 10:31:58 PM »

For keyholes in stretchy fabric I do think that either you do a leanoval cut that is allowed to stretch open when worn. Or you cut it the shape you want but you definetly need some kind of backing, usually the same cloth sewed on the reverse will reinforce the keyhole sufficiently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...