A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,787
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my neck gets cold  (Read 4288 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: March 24, 2008 05:12:55 PM »

...so here's two shirts with big collars to keep my oddly long neck warm! All fabric is thrifted from Salvation Army. Both of these shirts got screwed up about a dozen times along the way. I like how they turned out, but because I never wear pants or jeans I'm actually having a hard time matching them to other clothes. I think I'll stick to plainer fabrics and designs until I get a little better at sewing.

This shirt is actually burgundy (I don't have very good lighting in my apartment), with off-white apple print and apple buttons:

Close-up of cute apple, acorn and leaf print:

This shirt is more of a dark purple.  It has a nice big fat turtleneck made of greenish floral knit.  I screwed up the shirt and made the waistband too high, but then couldn't figure out how to fix it since I had only a limited amount of fabric. At first I  tried sewing in extra fabric at the shoulders (you can barely see a strip of the greenish fabric there) but it wasn't enough. So I just started sewing random scraps on the top part to make it longer, leaving the seams exposed. I like how it turned, the shirt is much more interesting than I originally planned.

You can see that I didn't have the right colour of thread, but that doesn't really bother me.

And a skirt made from a men's shirt, nothing fancy. There are little exposed seams/darts on the top. (I also made the top, but it's from scratch)

Thanks for looking!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008 05:20:06 PM »

they are all great but i am in LOVE with the second top, the purple one. the collar is great!

I feel like just some misplaced Joan of Arc.

I sew, crochet and knit...a little.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008 05:21:00 PM »

Definitely cute. I'm a bit of a newbie at sewing so I don't have a lot of helpful input but I really loved the one with the purple pieced together part.

Modified: It just told me that someone else posted and the post says basically the same thing. Hahaha

Beginning of school year resolutions: Granny-square blanket, scarf for the man, swimsuit bottoms, better organization for crafting supplies, computer case of some kind, 2 amigurumi and a pair of underwear.

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008 05:22:23 PM »

The very last outfit if my favorite! It looks so fantastic on you! You have a great shape for it (horizontal stripes are not the friend of everyone!) Seriously, I'm jealous of your ability!

Love that you're reconing, too!

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
haphazard seamstress

I am the fluffy singularity.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008 05:23:36 PM »

The first shirt is quite pretty, and what you did to the second was very innovative

They'll name a city after us-and later say it's all our fault.

This bunny is crafty!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008 05:24:58 PM »

I like these! My favorite one is the first top. They all look great on you though! Oh and I LOVE your hair!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008 05:54:22 PM »

woo hoo, five comments already, thanks! I'm glad you like the second one--man, it really looked a mess right up until it was finished. One thing I've learned is that my projects always turn out better if I'm open-minded about how the final product looks;)
You have a great shape for it (horizontal stripes are not the friend of everyone!)
Thanks! My roommate says the same thing--she's not big, but she's pretty buxom, and avoids horizontal stripes completely. One  added bonus of sewing is that I can adapt clothes for my body (for instance, I cannot wear low cut tops, EVER) and i'm becoming more comfortable with my scrawniness. I'd always hoped that I'd gain more weight as I finished puberty, but at 28 I don't think there's any hope I'm gonna get those boobs I wanted.
Oh and I LOVE your hair!
Ha! Thanks, I like yours too!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008 07:23:35 PM »

oh my they are adorable!!

quilter, etc.

quilter, etc.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008 09:44:12 PM »

you did such a great job with all of these. Wonderful sense of design!

Yes I sometimes sell my creations: www.sagefemme.etsy.com. There is also a blog: afewscraps.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008 09:45:22 PM »

"Between dreams and reality lies the vault to your soul"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sushi Rolls
How to Make Curried Shrimp and Cauliflower
How to Make a Red-Curry Chicken Stir-Fry
Spicy Chicken Curry Recipe
Momofuku Culinary Lab Creates Flavor Explosion
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...