A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boston to Atlanta?  (Read 3245 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jcis27
« on: February 04, 2004 07:15:00 AM »

*hi guys...*  i live in boston and i am researching places to move come august (if i don't get into grad. school, aaaah!) and atlanta has been suggested to me many times.  i was wondering if anyone could tell me about the city and about the community (artistic, creative, etc. etc.) so i can have a better idea about the area.  i've never been down there, so i am clueless... mostly i am looking to save a little on rent because the rents up here are killing my paycheck.  also, i am looking for a bike-able community.  any info would help!  thanks!  j.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
divasteph

The crafty diva is on the loose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004 07:35:54 AM »

hmmm...

it has an artistic side -

still has a little southern hospitality to it -

has a very large gay community so the majority of the city is open minded - but there are still a lot of small minded racists that exsist being in the south -

if you live inside the city limits most people dont have accents (southern, country, or redneck) -

the top music radio stations are top 40 and hip hop -

the city is pretty segregated by race (as to where you live) however it is getting better -

there are 2 major club and bar areas to the town both have their own flavor (one is semi-upscale and one is college) and they are starting another club and bar area downtown that they just announced

the city is the only real slow paced large city in the country - in nyc and LA people are always in a hurry -people in atlanta take it a little bit slower - they walk slower - they think slower - they like to meet over meals so they can relax and drink and talk

housing market - is good - if you live outside the city you can get a condo for $100,000, townhouse for $150,000 and home for $200,000

apartments range from $570 - $1400 a month - depends on where and what you want

i live in alpharetta - and particularly i would say to stick to the following areas when looking (midtown, buckhead, dunwoody --- and then for houses roswell and alpharetta)

I guess thats it - any specific questions are good and i am happy to answer - i was born and raised here - but have lived many other places too!

PS - i have a friend that just moved to boston - maybe she can give you advice too since she lives in your town
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004 07:36:31 AM by divasteph » THIS ROCKS   Logged

envelopers
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004 07:49:39 AM »

funny, i am in a similar boat. will probably be moving from boston to atlanta fairly soon.

i've been there about half a dozen times and am a huge fan of the city.  it's much more 'neighborhoody' than boston and you get much more for your money as far as housing goes. and there are many more good cheap and mid-range restaurants. in boston, it seems like the only good restaurants are the high end ones.

what kind of work will you be looking for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jcis27
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004 08:58:48 AM »

*thanks guys*  this helps a ton.

i'm doing admin. work right now, but i'd like to move into non-profit or something that remotely has to do with art, since i graduated with my b.f.a. & am in denial about not using it...

*but do you think i could bike regularly?  i'm trying to avoid getting a car...

**also, do you feel like there's a lot of tension between neighborhoods, since they are so segregated?  but to tell you the truth, boston is fairly segregated itself.  probably not as severe as atlanta.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
divasteph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004 09:35:46 AM »

*thanks guys*  this helps a ton.

i'm doing admin. work right now, but i'd like to move into non-profit or something that remotely has to do with art, since i graduated with my b.f.a. & am in denial about not using it...

*but do you think i could bike regularly?  i'm trying to avoid getting a car...

**also, do you feel like there's a lot of tension between neighborhoods, since they are so segregated?  but to tell you the truth, boston is fairly segregated itself.  probably not as severe as atlanta.

YOU DEFINATELY MUST HAVE A CAR IN ATL
i have to stress that - life will suck without a car - marta (the public transportation here) sucks and unless you can peddle 70mph on the highways here you are out of luck!  Atlanta is a very very large city and there are a ton of suburbs

as far as segregation goes to be completely politically incorrect --- of you are black you live in south atlanta - if you are white you live in north atlanta - if you are from any other origin you live off buford highway and own a nail place or are a day laboror ---- if you are black and a rap artist, football, baseball, basketball player, r&b artist you live in country club of the south in N. atlanta - along with mega millions - and if you are very wealthy you live where-ever the hell ya want!

crime isnt horrible in atlanta and race crime isnt bad either there are 100's of years of tension built up over race but it never comes out unless the parties involved are drunk

The mayor of atlanta is a black female - that had no prior exp what so ever in politics, etc - she was a mother and that was her qualifications pretty much - however she has done a pretty swell job - the top news anchor of atlanta is also a black female and very influencial in atlanta

most people that live in the city that you meet at bars work at either CNN, Turner, Coke, Delta, or Home Depot (the more well known atlanta jobs)

Atlanta is a huge mecca for high hop music so you can always spot hip hop's greatest all over town

atlanta has the best malls (other than vegas) and best restaurants (other than vegas)

Celebs often come for food, shopping, and partying

all major concerts always come through atlanta

atlanta has a huge local music scene and independent music scene

there a bunch of art schools here too (Art Institute of Atlanta, Portfolio Center, Atlanta College of Art and Design, etc etc etc)

hope that helps...

« Last Edit: February 04, 2004 09:42:35 AM by divasteph » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ednathewitch
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004 02:22:37 PM »

You're definitely going to need a car (not really a matter of wanting). Most people live outside the Perimeter (I-285). Anything inside is pretty much considered the actual City of Atlanta. There are nearly a dozen counties that make up the metro-Atlanta area.

Instead of segregated, I like to think Atlanta has a large mixture of different cultures. It is *mostly* broken up by region, but it doesn't really paint the whole picture. Cobb county, just NW of Atlanta, has the largest hispanic population in the state. But people tend to think of its demographic to be middle class whites.

Being a black female who's half Korean & married to a white police officer husband, I haven't experienced "racial tensions" in the 12 years I've been in Atlanta. This city is actually fairly easy to live in. It likes to bill itself as "the city too busy to hate." While that's not always the case, this is a pretty safe city, as far as large cities go.

Artwise...we've got the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, the Atlanta Ballet, Atlanta Opera and the High Museum of Art. There's also Fernbank, which is a natural history museum, where you'd go to see dinosaurs on display. Broadway performances tend to come through the "fabulous" Fox Theater, which is beautiful, as well as the Civic Center. We're a convention town & get some large ones, ie Dragoncon for all the sci-fi fanatics.

There is, of course, lots of history in this area. I'd recommend visiting the Etowah Indian mounds just north of the city. Then the usual Civil War sites & tourist draws. We've got pandas on loan to the zoo for the next few years & kitschy places like the World of Coca-Cola and Helen (a "recreated" Bavarian town in north Georgia) which are fun to visit at least once.

Stone Mountain is a good place to go for biking. It's turned more into a "theme" thing in the past few years, but still a good place to get out doors. In the same line, there's miles of land along the Chattahoochee River National Park & the Silver Comet Trail goes from the metro area all the way to north GA. It's an excellent bike trail with great scenery.

I'm sure I'll think of other things, but it's time to leave work. Commutes are not fun.

Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ever feel that you *have* to use a signature?

nytefalle.com/blog | nytefalle.etsy.com
jcis27
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004 07:39:20 AM »

thanks for your help, i think i'm starting to get an idea of what it's like.  i've lived in a variety of neighborhoods, but all within boston, so i'm a little nervous about venturing outside of new england.  but really, i'm looking for a smaller, more congested area, that would be easy for me to get around... i was looking at atlanta because it would still be relatively close to home... and i've heard such good things about living there.  i am also looking to go back to school eventually, so the art schools come in handy...

thanks again for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
adlib
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004 08:55:39 AM »

I live in Norcross (um, off Buford Highway. I'm white and don't own a nail place and have black, white, asian and hispanic neighbors who tend to have professional type jobs). Norcross is fairly segregated as far as it seems like all the folks that run the place are white. Also, the newer subdivisions tend to house white families, but that's the case pretty much anywhere. However, it is very open to diversity and I have not sensed a lot of anti-immigration sentiment here. But I go to a predominantly hispanic Catholic church and my children's preschool teachers are bilingual, so I run in diverse circles. It may be different in other parts of the town.

I think that tension is mellow as long as you yourself are open to diversity. I don't tend to act nervous or different around other cultures/races, so I haven't run into any problems. Also, no one has been surprised or bothered by my flaming pink hair  Wink

IMO, diversity is good. Of course, you don't want to move to the corner of Crackhead and Ho, but personally I like to avoid the Whispering Dove Hollow Running Brook Subdivisions also. We pay $950 a month rent for a 2,000 sq ft house in an older subdivision (as in not really a subdivision) near the historic downtown area. It would sell for around $170,000.

But, I'm rather new here (9 months), so I may not be the best advisor. I like Norcross, though. I'll admit that I'm trying to learn Spanish and it might help to know a little if you move to Gwinnett county. Gwinnett county also has a decent public transit system, I'm told. They have an express bus that goes from Gwinnett Co. to downtown ATL for $3 both ways (I think). Or you can take Gwinett transit to the Doraville MARTA and I think that may be cheaper. Here's a link to a site that has a bunch of GA transit links : http://www.apta.com/links/state_local/ga.cfm#A72

Here is a link to an article in Creative Loafing where the author took the bus/train instead of driving for a week. A good, unbiased view of riding and the pros and cons:
http://www.atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2003-06-19/cover.html

Um, I need to take my ADD meds. Sorry about the rambling.

-Courtney
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004 09:03:34 AM by adlib » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jcis27
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004 10:51:57 AM »

*this article is so interesting, i can't read all of it at work... but there's a paragraph about how the marta(?) was supposed to be more comprehensive and span the city, but it got rebuked.  the same thing happened in boston and certain parts of the city, such as mattapan and parts of dorchester were cut out of the loop.  they have to take busses or walk miles to the t.  then they planned on fixing it with the silver line and what was originally a train system turned into another bus system, which is okay, but transferring and timing is a pain.  so the poor parts of boston were short-changed yet again.

this transportation problem is probably the reason why i couldn't move to atlanta.  although it would be nice to own a car, my main form of exercise is my bike, and i'd like to depend on my legs to get me where i need to go...

thanks for the article, if you have any suggestions, please keep them coming, you guys are so awesome for helping me out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
divasteph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004 12:06:00 PM »

hey there - me again --- about my "view" of the areas of the city and "who lives where" like i said it was not litically correct ---- obviously-- and not how i would wish for the city to be but how outsiders may view it - and how my friends that work for the city view - it -  it was not meant to be offensive at all!!!  Wink  i do love atlanta for the diversity it offers like i said its a pretty tolerant city --- but hey it is the south and ya know...

Ryan (my other half) used to have his office in Norcross and it is fairly conveniant due to close by highways he took me to the downtown quiant old part once recently at night and it is soooooo cute - i had never known norcross was cute?  but i made him promise to take me back during the day sometime soon ---

for someone raised in atlanta - i am sheltered in the sense that in all my years in atlanta i have never lived anywhere that wasn't off 400 - so it's hard to tell you what its like in marietta, or kennesaw  because i have only lived in buckhead, dunwoody, roswell, and alpharetta --- but over all the economy doesnt suck here - used to be a lot better - people are awful drivers but nice people - the housing market is good - walmart is open 24 hours --- what more could you ask for? -- xoxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dulce De Leche Cheesecake Recipe
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Buying and Thawing Turkey - Father and Son Thanksgiving Pt. 1
Roast the Perfect Turkey - Father and Son Thanksgiving Pt. 5
Turkey Leftovers at Midnight - Father and Son Thanksgiving Pt. 7
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...