A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,797
Currently Running With Scissors:
758 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cosmetics hanger **Mini-tutorial added**  (Read 17367 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iolite88
« on: January 24, 2005 10:58:44 AM »

Having lurking around for a while, I am finally posting my first message  Grin.  Awesome group of talented people here!

A couple of years ago I did this cosmetics hanger thing to organize my array of cosmetics & tools as I lived in a tiny tiny apartment with my family.  I got the idea from the IKEA sofa pockets for remote control, but couldn't find any designed for small items.  Therefore I put my stuff on the fabric and used the fabric's pattern as gridlines to design my own. There's no sewing machine around so I had to hand sew the whole thing.

Basically it is just a wide band of fabric folded in half with lots of pockets attached.  It hangs on the wall behind my room's door to make use of that small gap and the full-length mirror attached to the door.  I knew nothing about choosing a sturdy material or using interface, so it deformed a bit due to all that weight.  So far I find it quite convenient except when I need to clear the dust off some unused pencils, and when someone attempts to open my door when I am putting on the eyeliner...

The upper half:

Obviously I am so in love with the concealers that they outnumbered my foundations...

The lower half:

3/F: mascaras, eyeshadows and liners
2/F: lippies
1/F: blushes and lipbalms

And there's a large back pocket at the bottom, where I keep some cotton pads & Q-tips for makeup disastors, and yes that's my razor aka "oh-no-missed-a-spot-when-I-shaved-my-legs rescue tool" peeking out at the bottom left corner...  Tongue

1 Feb 05: "Making of" diagrams added on page 2
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=23566.15
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007 07:30:28 AM by iolite88 - Reason: fix pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Ideals being sweeter than candy are just ideals"
     -- dead tree
Stephannie

Dig that crazy sound.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005 11:27:35 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I need one of those.  My makeup is on the bathroom counter and there's obviously no need for that.  Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TxPenguin

Save the Penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005 11:36:46 AM »

Amazing!! I need one!! I don't have alot of makeup, but I also have no counter space and no cabinet space! I like the convenience of everything being right there, not having to dig in drawers or baskets for that little bitty eyeliner that I'm not ready to depart with! Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are many species of penguins, I'm just one of them.
freakymysty
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005 12:53:12 PM »

That cosmetics hanger is pure genius Smiley.  My sister has the largest collection of make-up in the world.  She has a tiered fruit hanger, one of those small plastic organizers with three drawers, a drawer in the bathroom counter, and small random boxes all full of make-up.  She's always buying new make-up because she can't sort through all of the make-up she already has.  I'll have to show her this because the cosmetics are slowly taking over my side of the countertop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
uteristic
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005 01:39:23 PM »

omg this thing is so freaking awesome!! i would make one if i had somewhere to put it. i just throw my makeup and gear in my bathroom cupboard. another reason for me to move out! lol good work
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feel pretty, oh so pretty.
I feel charming, oh so charming.
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005 03:06:58 PM »

What an awesome idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005 03:21:26 PM »

i have a shoe hanger like this in my room, the top part is make up and the botom half is other random stuff. i love it. i definitly like yours though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
iolite88
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005 09:55:30 PM »

Thank you for your kind comments!  I am a makeup addict (fortunately I got most of them when I was in college when I went through job interviews, so only a few expensive items).  Before I got this I kept my stuff in my Ikea cardboard organizer's drawers.  Not much fun to dig out that well-used short lipliner under 2 layers of lipsticks, and yes I had purchased some duplicated colours because of forgetting about a similar one sitting at the bottom of the drawer  Tongue

Now I just need to find some way to organize my growing number of liquid foundation... (<-- hopeless addict here X_X)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- dead tree
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005 05:59:44 AM »

Ah!  Great Idea!!  I have a shoe hanger...like christinanne Smiley  I bought it new, but at a consignment shop a year ago...and it was only $1!  I couldn't say no...now could I?  It has a little mirror in the middle (we don't actually use...because our bathroom has a mirror anyway, but it's good to have...ya never know).  The tray in the center folds up...and the two little pockets underneath it, have velcro incase you are "on the go."  I share my bathroom with my boyfriend, so this was a great idea to keep his deodorant & all that fun stuff off of the sink counter!  :-)  It took some coaxing *giggle* but he actually utilizes it now  Grin 

I definitely like all the tiny pockets you created, iolite88!  Very nice for all the "little things."  Kudos....good job! Smiley

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010 04:17:44 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
iolite88
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005 07:50:59 AM »

I bought it new, but at a consignment shop a year ago...and it was only $1!?I couldn't say no...now could I??It has a little mirror in the middle (we don't actually use...because our bathroom has a mirror anyway, but it's good to have...ya never know).?The tray in the center folds up...and the two little pockets underneath it, have velcro incase you are "on the go."

Wow!! I was trying to find something like this before I started my project, and yours come with extra functional features!  I had a really painful time to hold the detachable cardboard-lined tray up, and it could not hold heavy items like yours. Those pockets with velcro sounds handy to hold the daily items... and you simply can't beat that price! ^__^

OT: For those deodorants, nail polish remover, body cream... etc, my mom had a cupboard custom-made, with a large mirror on the door, above the sink when we moved in.  The depth is just enough to fit in a bottle of listerine so everything lines up on the shelves.  That makes use of the vertical space and protects the stuff inside from moisture and dust.  (I am mentioning dust over and over I know, air quality is not good in Hong Kong.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- dead tree
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Look from Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2014
Get the Look from Michael Kors Fall 2014
Dove Helps Women Find Their Inner Beauty
Get the Look from Anna Sui Fall 2014
How to Do a True Bold Lip
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...