A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,390
Currently Running With Scissors:
765 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: charlottesville?  (Read 2115 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jcis27
« on: February 04, 2004 07:06:23 AM »

hey guys... i am in boston now and i am researching places to move in august... the rents here are killing my paychecks and i'd like to be adventurous & find somewhere within my budget to live... my friend mentioned her hometown, charlottesville as a possibility.  i would like to move somewhere with a strong 20-something crafting, kinitting, artistic, creative community.  could anybody tell me about charlottesville or reccomend anywhere else that i might look up?  thanks guys...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maripaz
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004 07:35:45 AM »

Although I live relatively close to Charlottesville (Richmond) unfortunately I don't know much about the art/craft scene there.  They do have a number of yarn stores and knitting classes, so I'm guessing there has to be at least something there, especially with the number of students at UVA.  Another place you might want to consider is Asheville, NC.  Asheville has a very strong art community, and is quite similar to Charlottesville in terms of cost of living and general atmosphere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jcis27
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004 09:42:38 AM »

**thanks!**  i will have to ask my friend about asheville...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iheartlibraries
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004 08:44:10 PM »

i'm from richmond too. all i know is that there is supposedly a bead store in charlottesville. i think i saw an ad for it in the major weekly newspaper around here, style weekly.

i dunno, i vowed never to visit, or at least drive in charlottesville again 3 years ago after i went to a show there. that place is confusing to drive in, even more so at night.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ToCrafte
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004 07:07:37 PM »

Greetings Jcis27,

I'm ToCrafte ( or Judi ) from Charlottesville.  I'd be happy to help with any information.  MMMM, Charlottesville, where do I start.  It has some eclectic culture but is and always will be a University town.  I've been in Charlottesville for well over 10 years now and work for UVA as it is one of the main employers.   Now thats not a bad thing as it does bring a lot of diversity to Charlottesville.  There are lots of Arts & Crafts within Charlottesville and the surrounding counties.  In fact I am an avid craft person myself.  Not only does the area have some neat arts and crafts but it has a lot of great places for outdoor activities.  I live about 30 mins. or 28 miles outside of Charlottesville in Nelson county.  We are just minutes away from the Blue Ridge Mountains.   However, I digress, there are many arts and crafts festivals like the Crozet Arts & Crafts, Fall Fiber Festival, and several others every year.  We are also seeing more Alpaca farms growing in the area.  As for the yarn shops, they are ok but not as many as I'd like.  However there is one I haven't visited that is a must which caters to weavers, spinners, and knitters.  There are also some good yarn places in the smaller counties as well.  Charlottesville also has the McGuffey Arts center that has alot to offer as well.  I took a stain glass class there.  Now I don't know what the economics of Boston are but rent in Charlottesville maybe cheaper but is not cheap.  Most people try to find something right outside of Charlottesville or close by.  Due to the students, the rents are higher right in Charlottesville.   I have to also agree that Ashville NC is known for being an Arts and Crafts area as well.  Are you looking for certain particular Arts & Crafts?  Are you looking for a place where your employment would be within this field?  All in all Charlottesville is not a bad place to live even if sometimes wish for a change of pace.

Best wishes,  Judi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ToCrafte
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004 07:20:47 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention, I'd be happy to send you the classifieds section if you'd like to see what the rent prices range.   Or you could look at it on line at

http://www.dailyprogress.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=CDP/Page/CDP_FrontPage

Judi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ToCrafte
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004 07:48:46 PM »

Here is another good link to look at

http://www.readthehook.com/classifieds.html

The Hook has become a popular paper around Charlottesville and this link is there classifieds as well as some info on the kinds of activities.

Judi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melliott
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004 11:36:17 PM »

hey, i'm a student at UVA (so i live in charlottesville).  there's a pretty strong arts and crafts community in the University (i just went to a student fashion design show tonight), and the community as a whole seems to have a lot of great arts resources for a small city.  and it'd say that's what you should really consider: charlottesville is SMALL...but definitely quirky and neat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycraftster
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005 02:03:42 PM »

I live in Charlottesville and absolutely love it! It's a great town. There are a lot of resources for artists and crafters in the downtown area- an awesome walking mall with all kinds of non-chain stores. As mentioned, there are several museums, and lots of places to take classes- both from UVa, Piedmont Virginia Community College, and the high schools rent out space for classes at night. The music scene is also huge here. And C'ville is also a big place for celebrities Wink. Anyway, the bottom line is Charlottesville is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jcis27
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005 03:48:36 PM »

oooh, i forgot about this post!
turns out, i moved to philly to go to grad school.
it is freeeeeezing right now, and snowy.
must be nice an toasty there... (jealous).
thanks for all your replies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Raku Style Firing with Horse Hair
Finished Pieces from the Kiln - Two Little Jars
How to Throw a Large Platter
How to make a Raku Vase
How to Decorate with Slip
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...