A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
413 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my attempt at sweater boots  (Read 4450 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

suitcase2space
Suffering from an artistic temperament since 1983

View Profile WWW
« on: March 23, 2008 05:19:16 PM »

Hello everyone. I was very much inspired by this post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=67859.0
and another, which I can't for the life of me find right now....
Anyway, mine are sewn, rather than glued because I can't afford the super stinky good stuff, and so five hours and several bruised fingertips later, viola!
 The colors are My Colors but the sweater was an awful shape, so I'm so glad I found a way to use the poor sweater that had been sitting in my drawer for five years. The shoe bottoms are earth shoes that I'd picked up for free about four years ago, but never wore because they were way too hippy/granny. This is my very first attempt at reconstructing shoes, although I did paint a pair of chucks when I was just a wee punk in short pants, er...high school. So yes, concrit welcome. Smiley

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008 07:48:37 PM by suitcase2space » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you say 'yes' to a single desire? Oh, my friends, then you say 'yes' to all pain.
rainbowshoelaces
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008 05:25:51 PM »

those are super cute! great job! i had to sew my sweater boots too, and i think i bled on each finger!! and broke a  few needles in the process, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
urbanchic1212
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008 05:27:28 PM »

super cute. may i ask what you sewed them to? like what part of the shoe because i too didnt like the idea of gluing but couldn't figure out another way to do it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

reality is for people lacking an imagination.
suitcase2space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008 05:35:56 PM »

thanks guys  Smiley
I used a pair of leather loafers, so I tried to reuse the holes on the parts of the shoe with exposed stitching and used a leather needle (though I had to resharpen it a few times during the process). For the very back I gave up and used the crappy fabric glue I had laying around the house. Because the rest of the shoe is pretty sturdy, I'm just going to hope it holds up! I was lucky that the shoes were a color compatible with the sweater because the way they were sewn left the bottom of the shoe uppers showing. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that style-wise, but I'm learning to like them. Good luck! And--DEFINITELY use a thimble Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you say 'yes' to a single desire? Oh, my friends, then you say 'yes' to all pain.
FakePalindromes
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008 05:46:37 PM »

There very cute and look super warm too  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chanemza
Your temper brings dishonor to my happy mushu palace.

Chick of The Sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008 07:01:10 PM »

I was actually going to try this with the arms of one of my sweaters (turned the torso into the lining of a jean-bag, so it's reversible).  I was wondering, though - and please don't yell at me, I'm not an in-the-know kinda gal with things like this - but is it possible to maybe use innertube as the soles?  I mean, the insides could be lined with foam or something, and stabilized.  But I was wondering if that was safe/doable?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suitcase2space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008 07:46:17 PM »

Like bicycle inner tube? Hmm. My ex boyfriend tried to make a pair of boot uppers out of inner tube. They are easy to sew but they tear REALLY easily. He got through most of the sewing of the first one, but when he tried the shoe on, the whole piece tore. As soles they won't be stretched as much, so it might work, but I'd glue them down as well as sew them, because the stitches could easily rip out as you're walking. A rivet gun comes in handy in situations like this, too. I had made a belt/loin cloth type thing out of innertube as well and when the stitches started to tear, my friend riveted the pieces together and I never had a problem again. In fact, ten years later, that thing is still kicking around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chanemza

Chick of The Sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008 05:22:00 AM »

Actually I was wondering if tire tubes could be used, if they're safe and if there was a good waterproof glue to attach them with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chanemza

Chick of The Sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008 02:00:37 PM »

I should clarify and ask if *automobile* tire innertubes could be used safely (healthwise).   Maybe use leather working tools and some sort of rubber glue or whatever?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ryanmoore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008 04:49:45 PM »

Those are really cute.
I have made a few pairs of sweater boots.
And i'm really lazy and i'm bad at hand-sewing
so i hot glued them.

So maybe you could try hot gluing your next pair.
Just a tip.

-ryan-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ken Burns on “The National Parks”
Ken Burns on How the Film Shapes the Filmmaker
Henry Selick on Coraline Production
How Diffusion Gels Are Used in Film Making
What C47 Means on the Film Production Set
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...